• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ICE-Land v6.0 -- The Retrograde Install

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by livelyyoungman View Post
      Please do pen down a full blog (with lots of pics) of this ICE season.
      Sure sir But most of the details regarding the installation of wiring, damping etc have already been covered in the initial posts

Will keep on updating the thread with new details as they develop

Quote Originally Posted by rahulsharma_7 View Post
      Woah its been a long time for you my friend, to wake up the ICE keeda in you again !

Wide-band with a tweeter seems an interesting option to watch out for, eagerly awaiting for the build log
      ICE Keeda was always there bro Just the shuffling of vehicles and who drives which car etc kinda held up things. I decided to upgrade the car which already had the foundation laid for a high SQ setup.

I will be using the NZ3AlBe as a mid range driver only. Will definitely try it wideband but most likely it will end up playing from 400Hz to 4Khz or maybe even higher or lower depending on how things sound.
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Source Upgrade

I'm changing the ever so reliable and great sounding Pioneer F60BT to the Clarion NX706 that I had gotten for the Jazz setup. I'm retaining the OEM HU there and will shift the Clarion to the Innova.

While not the easiest to use or bug less unit, it plays FLAC files, has good BT performance and has a Toslink output that can either be a fixed signal or a variable signal in case you do not want to use a DSP Remote.

Of course the Navigation does not work here

The firmware was updated to the latest one albeit a bit nervously since it's an import unit. The build quality is decent enough and the capacitive screen though better than most 2-dins but no way a smartphone like fluid experience.

It has it's quirks which I'll cover soon

Some Unboxing Pictures

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170410_105923.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	3.59 MB 
ID:	230218

Name:	20170410_152426.jpg 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	230219

Name:	20170613_124604.jpg 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	230220

Name:	20170613_124719.jpg 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	230221

Name:	20170613_124735.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	4.31 MB 
ID:	230222

Name:	20170613_131700.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	4.76 MB 
ID:	230223

Name:	20170613_130318.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.41 MB 
ID:	230224

Name:	20170613_130332.jpg 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	230225

Name:	20170613_130338.jpg 
Size:	4.81 MB 
ID:	230226

Name:	20170613_132224.jpg 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	230227
      Last edited by karanbhatia; 13th Feb 2018 at 18:12.
      It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

^_^

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by karanbhatia View Post
      has a Toslink output that can either be a fixed signal or a variable signal in case you do not want to use a DSP Remote
      Winners don't quit. Quitters don't win.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by keerthi View Post
      : / what happened ??

It's a good upgrade from the JVC that I've had for donkey years now.

Although the damn thing is quirky too.

The NX706 has 2 USB ports. The 2nd port works properly ONLY with an iOS device connected to it. A USB drive gets recognised for sure vut doesn't work properly. The HU starts banking it again in between or hangs up.

Navigating the media through iOS device is damn quick though and works beautifully.

The Micro SD card slot works ONLY with a Clarion compatible Navigation software card.

Using the Navigation app makes the device noticeably slow. Don't turn it on and it's quite speedy.

The face plate is really thick by modern HU standards.

Lot of users have complained about the cooling fan being audible but luckily I haven't faced any such issue. Most likely because the HU in my case hasn't been stressed yet with Navigation or Sirius XM playback.

Will post the DSP and Amplifier for this setup next

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

DSP + 6ch Amplifier ---- Helix PSix DSP MKII

Again using a piece of equipment I got so enthusiastically for the Jazz but ended up in the Innova

I got perhaps the only piece in the country of the Helix PSix DSP MKII from mclaren1885 super quick and he took some amazing pictures as well.

The PSix is a 6ch Class D amplifier + 8ch DSP combo with the last two DSP channels being in form of a pair of 3v pre-outs that are fully controlled by the DSP. The DSP is the same as the one found in the Helix DSP Pro MK2

The 6ch amplifier has the first two channels working at 4ohm only while the rest four channels can work at 2ohm load as well. The channels cannot be bridged though.

It's got stellar build quality and a pretty easy to install size. Requires max a 4ga wire if using all 6 channels which I plan to. Can also work with HEC add on cards.

Some pictures courtesy mclaren1885

Name:	20170418172002_IMG_0208.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	751.3 KB 
ID:	230277

Name:	20170418172109_IMG_0210.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	871.9 KB 
ID:	230278

Name:	20170418172213_IMG_0212.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	543.0 KB 
ID:	230279

Name:	20170418172334_IMG_0218.JPG 
Size:	566.9 KB 
ID:	230280

Name:	20170418172430_IMG_0221.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	603.2 KB 
ID:	230281

Name:	20170418172533_IMG_0223.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	558.2 KB 
ID:	230282

Name:	20170803_195749.jpg 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	230283

Name:	20170803_195954.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	230284

Accompanying the Helix is the Kenwood XR-1S monoblock. I had wired these up on a plywood board to just mount behind the seats in Jazz. The same shall go in the innova boot till the fiberglass enclosure for the subwoofer is done and I can make an amp rack to match it and cover the remaining area.

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Thought I'll post this before continuing with the rest of the posts

It's Alive !!!!!!!!! Please view it in Full HD

^_^

Awesome

Blog Entries
      : / what happened ??
      has a Toslink output that can either be a fixed signal or a variable signal in case you do not want to use a DSP Remote.
      Does this mean that the volume level for digital out can be controlled with the HU's knob?

ICE Apprentice
      Walter White of ICE

Awesome

Does this mean that the volume level for digital out can be controlled with the HU's knob?
      Yup The Volume buttons will control the digital volume. Though I personally never recommend sending a varying digital signal to the DSP unless no other option. Using the DSP Remote will be better.

^_^

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Yup
      Well... that's why

Audio Banned

Awesome

Most modern equipment allow for attenuation of digital volume control. what is best depends on the implementation. A number of high ends DACs recommend using the onboard volume control as the implementation does not affect resolution at any volume with the lowest noise factor. Technically noise attenuation is higher in the analogue domain than in the digital domain. Loss in resolution is better in analogue, but a bad implementation can screw up sound quality.
      So preamp volume implementation is a very important factor. The attenuation itself is technically complicated ...can be resister, transformer or chip based

Couple of months back I had an experience of listening to a combination of a very high end DAC (Roackna Wavedream) and preamp Siltech C1 preamp) in the chain connected to Siltech mono block power amps.

We switched the volume control between the Rockna DAC (digital) and Siltech preamp (analogue).

The sound quality was amazing in both, but the difference was there in the presentation. I preferred the attenuation on the Siltech. it was that much more fluid and full. The digital attenuation was a bit dry to my ears.

In a car environment there is another complication of gain setting on the amp.
      Setting either on the HU or DSP will need diffrent levels of gain setting on the amp. so you will have to choose one at the time of tuning
      Low Profile ICE with three ALLO 2-channel amps, Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Kenwood KOS-300, Dayton Reference midbass, wideband, and AMT tweeters, ntech speaker cables and quanden interconnects. 12/220 volt converter to power the amps with laptop adapters.
      Home Audio: Mac-Mini, TEAC UD301 dual mono DAC, ATA USB cable, Adcom dual mono amplifier, Infinity bookshelf speakers and Wharfedale subwoofer, Blue Jeans interconnects and Belden/Klotz speaker cables

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information