• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Consumer Opinion : will you buy a coupe car as your first car ?

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Not so cold winter days are
      here...

Secret

Consumer Opinion : will you buy a coupe car as your first car ?

Coupe car is considered stylish and sportier design for cars. Globally the cars with coupe style design are said to be bought by young people who are either single or newly married or engaged.

Coupé - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia describes what a coupe car style means for beginners. This is basically a two door car, with some space for luggage, foldable camping gear or photography gear. it can also be used for short urban trips where one wants heads to turn towards the occupants of the car or the car itself. two doors are considered more fun and cool. Top 10 Cheapest Coupes » AutoGuide.com News showcases 10 cheapest coupes in US market.

India is a young country, 65% of our population is <35 years young. I see a good opportunity for budget coupe car in the entry segment targeting following consumer segments

(1) young, bachelor first time car buyers (<30 years)
      (2) Young Adults (18-24, college going).
      (3) office going geeks (OGGs) , who drive the car alone 90% of the time.

I also see opportunity for Couple Couples

(5) Young Couples (28-35 years young who are yet to plan their family)
      (6) Semi Senior Citizens (55-62 years young couple with independent kids)

I do not see any car car manufacturer planning or introducing a coupe car in the market. Is there any reason for it ?

will you buy a coupe car if one is available in the budget segment <8L ?

SPEAK for yourself, DO not generalize and speak for the masses, thanks in advance for your answer.

Last edited by Nomad; 24th Jul 2016 at 14:34.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Coupes are not practical, there comes situations were we have to accommodate others. But i know a guy who hates co passengers, he even said he will buy a coupe and remove the co passenger seat. He said they should make single seater cars, so that a guy can travel in peace.

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Yes.
      But, one clarification
      Is it technically correct to call 2 door hot hatches as a coupe? (as opposed to proper coupes like the BMW M4, 6 series Gran Coupe etc.)
      Because all I have in mind are cars like the follow
      2 Door Abarth Punto
      2 Door Brio Type R
      2 Door Polo GTi

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Not so cold winter days are
      here...

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by laxminarayanans View Post
      Is it technically correct to call 2 door hot hatches as a coupe?
      Who said Coupe is a Technical Thing, It was a simple marketing name given to a design concept.

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

Blog Entries
      No, I wouldn't and I fit in your defined buyer group. The cities are too polluted and noisy. The countryside is no good either. The only place I would remotely consider buying one would be if I was living in himachal pradesh (caveat being, that the car should be a SUV or duster-like).

Thanks,
      Simple_car

Hola! Que tal?

Secret

Speaking for myself - I fall in both segment 1, and 3. And while a coupe would be ideal for me 90% of the time, I would still not go for it, for the sake of remaining 10% time. Indian thought process at work ... (Did I just generalize?)

"It's not just a keel and
      a hull and sails; that's what
      a ship needs. Not what a ship
      is. What the Black Pearl
      really is, is
      freedom"��

Awesome

Interesting Question Nomad. Let me pitch in my 2 cents. I would love it as my first car, well not in a hatch. Not many wil be comfortable with claustrophobic feeling in rear, specially myself when am in rear. Any day I would prefer a Beemer over Audi or lexus coupe having driven all 3. Yes a practical , cost wise, coupe car in India should be a Kia, great car that can add value to being metrosexual.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Yes I will consider it. (Doesn't mean I'll buy it)

Irrespective of which buyer category I fall into, if I have an Independent house and money is not a concern, I will buy a coupe if after test driving, it attracts me. It of course will be my second car and mostly dedicated for my solo office or fun driving.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      I do fall in category 3, but still I will not buy a coupe. It is not practical if on has to use rear seats even for 10% of the time. While working in Japan, my Japanese team mate had a Nissan sports coupe (i was a biker, and quite ignorant about cars at that time, so don't remember the name). He was single, and he used to take us 3 Indians around several places. Though a coupe looks good, the two persons who had to sit on the rear seats, were not very happy. I too had to sit there once, and it was claustrophobic out there. I also had been on rear seat of 2-door Suzuki mini-Gypsy and Toyota's 2 door mini-SUV. The ingress and egress for the rear seats is troublesome, and in a sports coupe it is even more difficult. A coupe is good for only 2 people. And when the rear seats are not used, one tends to fill it with useless items most of the time. I would better get a 4 door car than a coupe.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

I think the mentality in India is if you get four seats why would you settle for two?

I read in a research article that Indian preferences vary alot when compared to other countries. For eg. Indians don't give too much importance to brands as opposed to china. Similarly, what might be considered stylish in other parts of the world may not even be a choosing factor for most Indians.

Alot of the middle class and neveau riche people in India do not come raised with alot of western influences. As most of our entertainment and culture based industries are local and have huge popularity. Hence, I don't think coupes would do very well like in other countries. Also, the whole stylish part of a coupe is if it is a convertible. Most people will not prefer convertibles due to the dust and general polution. as well as the safety factor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information