• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another headlight upgrade question..

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Smile Another headlight upgrade question..

Hi Everyone,
      I own year old Skoda rapid. This is black package and the looks appealed to me. But now i am facing issue with the headlight. Most of my driving is in the city. I rarely use it for highway drives.
      But in recent drives i noticed that in the night the headlights are ineffective. The illumination is good enough for me in a city ride but on highway its very bad. After talking to the SKODA service rep, i understand the blackened headlights is cause for it and he was not even interested to listen to any solution i have thought off so i did not pursue on it much with those guys..

Looking for solution i have considered one of the 2 options, either to upgrade to Bi-Xenon HID set or figure out a way to change the glass with clear headlight cover.
      The latter option might be costly one as i am not sure if i could just change the glass and will need to change the whole headlight setup. Can i replace only the blackened cover of the headlight assembly?
      The former solution is what i am considering since the headlight consists of projection setup. But i am not sure if a HID can be used in the existing projector setup and will it make any difference to illumination?

I also want mention that I am not very keen on going for HID. The rapid uses H4 bulbs which means the high and low beam is in single bulb and since i do not use much of the high beam and use it more for flash/warning etc or maybe in total dark roads/ghats section, i might find it difficult to use or learn to use it as is.

I am looking for the most cost effective method which can also be done professionally either by a good garage or by A.S.S in bangalore. Not interested is messing too much with the wiring/electrical's of the car which is why i am also looking at other option to HID upgrade.
      Any suggestion is highly appreciated..
      Last edited by mekanik; 24th Jul 2016 at 20:01.

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

First measure the voltage at the headlights before doing any upgrades. You should get 12,8 volts. If not just wire up a relay running directly from the battery.

Awesome

The most cost effective method is using separate wiring kit with ceramic holders and 100/90W bulbs. any accessories guys can do this and you can see the difference. totally it wont cost more than Rs 1500/-

you may try this and if you dont satisfied then you can think of HID kit.

Awesome

Do what dhansall says, even in normal skoda rapid,polo or vento the lights are of no use without an 90/100 upgrade.

Modify on your own

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
      rapid uses H4 bulbs
      we have a rapid user here who has upgraded to 100/90 and using for a long time, tagging nitin will give you info

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      First measure the voltage at the headlights before doing any upgrades. You should get 12,8 volts. If not just wire up a relay running directly from the battery.
      I am barely mediocre in electrical's so i do not get this suggestion. How will this help? Isn't relays used to reduce the load on the switches and wiring for higher wattage usage?

Quote Originally Posted by dhans4all View Post
      The most cost effective method is using separate wiring kit with ceramic holders and 100/90W bulbs. any accessories guys can do this and you can see the difference. totally it wont cost more than Rs 1500/-
      you may try this and if you dont satisfied then you can think of HID kit.
      Quote Originally Posted by sparkls View Post
      Do what dhansall says, even in normal skoda rapid,polo or vento the lights are of no use without an 90/100 upgrade.
      Thanks guys.. This looks to be more possible solution..

Quote Originally Posted by swiftndrift View Post
      we have a rapid user here who has upgraded to 100/90 and using for a long time, tagging nitin will give you info
      Thanks swiftndrift..

Need to check on this further as a read-through suggests the have been cases of melting of the housing. Will need to check how ceramic housing can be attached.
      Any idea if the whole assembly housing needs to changed for this?
      Will this fit into the existing projector setup or will it have any effects?
      Probably will wait for nitin suggestions or i will PM him..

Also i do not get one thing.. Why is the 100/90w cheaper than the 60/55w? the philips 60/55w xtreme vision vs 100/90w essential vision! Am i missing something here?
      Last edited by mekanik; 25th Jul 2016 at 23:33.

Diesel VS Petrol !

Awesome

e have a rapid user here who has upgraded to 100/90 and using for a long time, tagging nitin will give you info
      I have the non projector type headlamps. Your experience with projectors and 100/90 will be completely different.

Sorry but i think my info will be off no use to you. I would recommend u to go in for a retro fit of a good projector with suitable ballast and hid . Would be the most costly but have the best output. metal_thread can help you out here.
      '08 Suzuki Swift - 1.3 VXI - sold
      '13 Skoda Rapid TDI - 1.6 Code6'd - sold
      '11 Honda Civic - 1.8 VMT - FFE + Intake - sold
      '12 Hyundai Verna Fluidic - 1.4 VTVT
      '16 Hyundai Creta SX AT
      '16 Suzuki Alto K10 AMT VXI(o)

Modify on your own

Hungry

Modify on your own

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by mekanik View Post
      existing projector setup
      omg you have proj setup , i thought you are moving to either projector or 100/90 setup, so tagged nitin as he uses 100/90, many use 100/90 setup and even am about to go for 100/90 with relay

Awesome

omg you have proj setup , i thought you are moving to either projector or 100/90 setup, so tagged nitin as he uses 100/90, many use 100/90 setup and even am about to go for 100/90 with relay
      I am using the 100/90 in my Punto for last 2+ years and previously used in my palio for 4 years. never had any melting issue.

Projector output is totally different than 100/90. Since cost effective solution was requested 100/90 was better option than projector.

One can proceed with 100/90 and if not satisfied can go for projector way.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information