• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: My Home Theater

Nostalgia isn’t what it
      used to be

Hungry

Instead of all chasing these bulky 5.1, 7.2 configurations you can also look at stereo setups (just the avr, amp and 2 speakers). Maybe you can add a sub later on but i guess a good stereo setup will keep you satisfied. Just a suggestion Nomad

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days are here

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Audio tracks are meant to be heard in Stereo.
      Bose Sound Touch 520 will always be in 5.1 mode and can not be set to Stereo Mode, so said the demonstrator. Only option is to turn the volume of surround channels to zero, this way one can still hear 3 channels.

EDIT:

After considering all available 5.1 options, many rounds of listening and discussions including one today I have decided to suspend my search for sometime till some new integrated options with wall mountable speakers and wireless woofer are available. I already have a decent enough 2.1 set up with my desktop, I can always play music on it as needed, not looking for any stereo set up for now.
      Last edited by Nomad; 7th May 2017 at 19:53.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      I have visited 3-4 Yamaha shops in Bangalore, none had home theaters, it is only an on-line product, sold by sole importer probably
      Just an update for you. Yamaha does have home theatres demo rooms in their shops. Today I went to Thomsun music house on 11th Main in Indiranagar (Near ESI hospital). They have a HTS demo room, and a variety of Yamaha HTS.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      Today I went to Thomsun music house
      Did you audition any?

ICE'ing Nirvana and TJet!!

Awesome

After considering all available 5.1 options, many rounds of listening and discussions including one today I have decided to suspend my search for sometime till some new integrated options with wall mountable speakers and wireless woofer are available. I already have a decent enough 2.1 set up with my desktop, I can always play music on it as needed, not looking for any stereo set up for now.
      Did you explore the recently launched Bose SoundTouch 300 set? Soundbar, bass module and rear surround speakers for a decent enough 5.1 channel sound? Check them out at the Bose store. I've bought the complete set and pretty happy with it. Not the best sound I've ever heard (for listening to music), but movie watching is awesome. But then one has to sacrifice something or the other. I simply couldn't afford to rip my walls out to lay cables or run them where they were visible, so this seemed to be the best compromise.

The only other competitor is the Sonos playbar, play sub and play 1 combo. I quite liked the Sonos when I did the demo but the lack of connectivity options were a bummer (only optical). Plus no BT, support for DTS, HDCP 2.2 etc. Bose is still better in this regard - has BT, 4k pass through, HDCP compliant thankfully. You can check out both Sonos and Bose sets and decide for yourself.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days are here

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
      Did you explore the recently launched Bose SoundTouch 300 set?
      No, I stopped my search some time ago as posted by me.

Quote Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
      Soundbar, bass module and rear surround speakers for a decent enough 5.1 channel sound?
      Purists will not call it True 5.1, because, the channels are defined by separation perceived by the listener. Generally Front Left and Front Right channels has to be as wide apart from each other as possible. in the sound bar, both Front Left, Front Right as well as Center channel speakers are combined into one unit. Quality will be dependent on how well and clearly they can demonstrate the separation.

So far i had not considered sound bars for my set up as i had made wiring arrangements for each channel separately except woofer which must be wireless for me. If I have to consider Sound Bar + two rear satellite speakers + woofer set up then i have following choices

1. SONY HT-RT5 ... i think this will be well paired and integrated with my SONY Bravia TV.

2. BOSE SoundTouch 300/130 ... i had heard SoundTouch 130 system, i was not that impressed with it when compared to their 5.1 system. i read reviews which state that SoundTouch 300 is inferior to 130, i am not sure though, would listen and share my feedback.

3. I might also listen to a Samsung or Philips or JBL/Harmann system as well (i do not remember the part no though)

As indicated earlier, unless the BRAND has own legal entity and sales/service set up here in India/Bangalore, i won't be considering them, so SONOS is out of the list.

Last edited by Nomad; 27th Dec 2016 at 23:06.

Awesome

SONY HT-RT5 ... i think this will be well paired and integrated with my SONY Bravia TV
      While it is true that it will be well paired with your Sony TV, it need not necessarily mean that others will not pair well. So that should not be a consideration, i think.

So far i had not considered sound bars for my set up as i had made wiring arrangements for each channel separately except woofer which must be wireless for me.
      If you have already made provisions for wiring for 5.1, it makes sense to go for pure 5.1 HT system, and don't compromise on quality and experience by going for one based on soundbar. Moreover, i felt that a pair of additional BT transmitter and receiver (for rear speakers) add roughly 6k-10k to the cost of the system, and you need additional power point for rear speakers to power the rear receiver unit, which will add one more box unnecessarily, and additional wiring which has not have been provisioned for. Moreover, BT connected speakers can't beat wired speakers as there may be issues with delay and sometimes due to interference in case of BT. We all are aware of how a wired LAN connection is much better than a WiFi connection. So just let your subwoofer be wireless.

I might also listen to a Samsung or Philips or JBL/Harmann system as well (i do not remember the part no though)
      I did not find any JBL showroom easily accessible for me, while Harman is there at Phoenics Mall. And you forgot about presence of Yamaha (Indiranagar 11th Main showroom, and service centre on 14th Main). Among all these brands, i believe HK and Yamaha excel.

Nautical Nonsense

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      i believe HK and Yamaha excel.
      HK amps are digital ? At least they used to source their digital modules from India . It was called D-amps or something .

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days are here

Secret

Hello Audio-Video and Home Theater Enthusiasts,

Any new Home Theater products in the market, which have impressed you in last one year ?

Some changes in our usage behavior in last one year:

(1) We have stopped watching Standard Definition Content altogether, moved 100% to HD content.

(2) Both TV set ups are being used simultaneously (movie buffs and You tube viewers in Living Room, Marathi and Cartoon Channel Viewers in the Guest Bed Room) during the late evenings and sometimes in the afternoon times as well.

(3) Internet Broadband speeds have been sufficient to get the good quality content from Youtube, but service outage is a larger issue in recent times due to rains and tree falls, water logging some distance away from our apartments as well as LNG Pipeline laying.

(4) We have not yet moved to Netflix or Amazon Prime, number of Movie outings since Jan 2017 has been zilch due to school, study and work priorities as well as many deaths in the extended family which consumed many of the weekends. So movies at home were also not in vogue this year, hence absence of home theater has not been felt.

(5) FM Radio and Internet Radio (mainly through smart phone) has made re-entry through Kitchen, especially during morning hours. there has been some explorations about the BT speaker for the same, but nothing has been finalized as yet or bought so far.

(6) Like any teenager, daughter has adapted listening to music through smart phone and headphones. She has started building her own playlists. She prefers internet streamed music compared to downloaded, probably signs to time to come.

(7) i have been periodically looking up for new products. I did some exploration just before GST roll out as well as just before Billion Day Sales, Couple of my friends (from Mumbai) bought SONY Sound bars in the pre-GST sales. Their feedback on experience is yet to be received. My preference has also moved from a full blown system to an SoundBar+ Woofer + Surround Speakers which well integrated with TV connectivity options available, Wired or Wireless is optional.

if you know any good options launched in recent times, please let me know.

thanks,
      Last edited by Nomad; 20th Sep 2017 at 13:43.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      explorations about the BT speaker for the same
      Didn't get time to mention this earlier, but I bought this

Bose Solo 5 Soundbar Speakers (Black) Price: Buy Bose Solo 5 Soundbar Speakers (Black) Online in India -Amazon.in

from my last trip to US for $250. It has Optical, Aux and BT connection. Been using it connected to TV with Aux - experience was bad. Old LG TV does not have optical out - so that was a downer. Then used it as a Music player by connecting the phone via BT. Experience initially was bad. I mean, I never got any "Wowed" feeling. However, the experience in last month or so has been better. I guess after a month or so, the quality of sound output has increased. The bass is thumpier and listening experience is much better.

I will connect it to my Sony 42in TV when I get chance and that will be it for my search for Home Theater need. The quality is great and it is compact for me to still have an aesthetically appealing TV.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information