• Secret
  • Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: My Home Theater

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Not so cold winter days are
      here...

Secret

Low Cost Personal Home Theater ?

I was browsing for a good quality BT Stereo headphone, when i stumbled on 2 products, which when combined together has potential to be a Low cost High Performance Personal Home Theater. I had some doubts, so thought of sharing it with fellow members and discuss the possibilities.

A: Bluetooth Transmitter & Receiver:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.59.36 PM.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	228609

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.59.23 PM.png 
Size:	257.3 KB 
ID:	228610

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 12.59.56 PM.png
Views: 54
Size:  502.8 KB

This one supports 2 devices at a time, said to have No/low latency between the Source and the Receiver. This costs 2600/-

B: Bluetooth Stereo Headphone:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-21 at 1.00.49 PM.png 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	228607

This one has 5 hours listening time. need to buy 2 such pairs to work with above Tx/Rx. This costs 4000/- per pair + battery bank.

Some questions:

Will this provide required performance ?,
      What is the meaning of low latency ?
      What is the difference between performance with SPDIF and AV inputs ?
      Does these offer independent volume control per listener ?
      I am yet to see the THD and SNR specifications of the headphones, does any one have experienced these devices ?
      Is there a possibility to multiply 2 Tx/Rx devices and support 4 pairs of head phones ?, this would cost approx 5600+8000=13600 Rupees.

experts may provide some answers mclaren1885, gkannann, Lvramanan, rksingh1, speed79, Jack Sparrow, .... rest... my apologies, i can not tag everybody, request you to provide your suggestions, opinions.

Last edited by Nomad; 21st Oct 2017 at 15:20.

Awesome

Nomad first question. Why do you need personal home theatre system aka wireless headphones? If it is mostly for home usage, just put up a conventional HTS. The purpose is not to disturb others in the house? I feel that such jugaad does not work in the long term. Personally, I hate wearing headphones or earphones. When several components are connected in series, any of the component having suboptimal performance, would effect overall sound quality. Low latency might mean something less than 100 ms there is really no defined value of low latency, and one can use any value for his own convenience and purpose.

SPDIF input would give better quality as compared to AV input which is prone to analog noise.

looking at the information, it does not look like that there are individual volume controls for each listener.

My advise: get proper home theatre system. And for one person watching TV, one might use wired headphones to not disturb others, for better sound quality.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Never used wireless products personally for critical listening so can't comment on the above products.

Even I am not a fan of headphones also, find them causing fatigue after prolonged usage.

Personally I would prefer a decent stereo speaker pair along with an amp for any kind of listening, though will have to up the budget a bit. That will be wired setup but overall it will still be a simple three pieces setup compared to the above clutter. Be it watching action movies or playback of light music for whole day and night, that will be a fuss free setup. Best part is one can use those speakers in full fledged multi-channel setup whenever feels the itch of upgrade.

Thats just my personal opinion based on my own experience and taste.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 21st Oct 2017 at 17:35.

Awesome

Last year I had bought jbl sb350 which is great for watching movies, but not so good for music. Wife wanted a music system so that we do not need to keep all devices on including TV to play from Ian drive. Looked around online, but could not find good options for a music system. Primary need was that system should be able to play songs from USB stick and FM. Saw Philips boom boxes, Sony stereo music systems as well as Bose bluetooth speakers, all were too low on sound. Visited some offline stores and there were only options from Sony and LG. Where on the world have mini hi-fi's disappeared? Sony was a single tall unit, but too big to fit the intended place. Go to know that Sony is going to launch a smaller music system in a month time. Waited for a month and then checked at Sony showroom. It was MHC V11 and is I think 22 inches tall. Though not excellent sounding, it seemed to serve the purpose. It has about 470 watts sound output, can play USB, FM, AM, CDs and Bluetooth. Good that my kids can enjoy dancing.

One-box High Power Home Audio System with Bluetooth | MHC-V11 | Sony IN

Name:  a8fe6bb1c338af1ea52e6f2f658b501f.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  3.4 KB

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      Where on the world have mini hi-fi's disappeared?
      Ask yourself, were you really looking for hi-fi system?
      Last year I had bought jbl sb350 which is great for watching movies, but not so good for music.
      Waited for a month and then checked at Sony showroom. It was MHC V11 and is I think 22 inches tall.
      Didn't you ignore the suggestions offered by the fellow members?

No wonder you had to buy another gadgets for unfulfilled functionalities you were looking for earlier.

Audio systems work on simple rules of physics. Placement of the speakers and construction material are important factors in them. I always wonder how these new gen compact gadgets made of plastic can beat the simple rules of physics! By electronically faking the sound?

No wonder people soon get introduced to ground reality and get tired of them and keep buying new gadgets, in the end the companies are happy.

If wireless capabilities are my concerns, I would rather prefer to add something like this in a stereo speaker + amp setup:

Bluetooth Receivers Transmitters : Sonodyne SBP 101 ...

Its by a reputed Indian brand in the audio world which also makes some good speakers.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 21st Oct 2017 at 19:05.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      here...

Secret

Why do you need personal home theatre system aka wireless headphones?
      Headphone amps are the only ones who give -100 db THD and excellent channel separation, Headphones also offer Noise Cancellation, so listening through headphones always offer better listening.

Wireless basically because, running a wire from TV to the couch is difficult. BT A2DP offers good alternative way.

Personal HT system, because mostly only me or me+wife would be watching the movie, The -100 dB THD and channel separation in a professional system would requirement to shellout couple of lacs. So my real question is can I use this BT Tx/Rx + BT Headphones to get the same experience like a pro system at a much reduced cost.

movies now a days are <2 hours or typically 90 minutes or so, I can tolerate that much time wearing a headphone (though i like not wearing them) just like many business calls / conf calls which are an hour or more long, some times i have attended 4 hour calls also, i prefer to listen through speaker phone than head phone in such calls.

Low latency might mean something less than 100 ms
      I read a number of 40 ms on the company website/amazon specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      No wonder people soon get introduced to ground reality and get tired of them and keep buying new gadgets, in the end the companies are happy.
      That is the reason, now a days, i simply postpone my purchase. I am out of the need to have instant gratification phase of life. i have made my mistakes in the past with products like Visiting card scanners, portable projectors, BT headsets, ... etc and learnt my lessons. So now i am out of making companies happy business.

Quote Originally Posted by jijivs View Post
      I guess you meant -100db for the
      You jumped the gun, i was still writing the post. looks like you were in a hurry to point out the typo than providing some suggestions
      Last edited by Nomad; 21st Oct 2017 at 19:22.

S-Crossed!

Awesome

I guess you meant -100db for thd
      Drive Safe!

JVS - S-Crossed

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Will this provide required performance ?,
      For Stereo formats of Audio (MP3, WAV, FLAC, AAC, and likes) yes this would suffice. The moment you say Home Theater the potential expands to movies with DTS, Dolby Digital and a lot more and they're all high bandwidth sound formats which may not be fully supported by this device. Next if you're streaming audio to a headphones, naturally they'll be downmixed to stereo and it will loose the magic of 5.1 / 7.1 and you'll not be able to experience the true surround effects.

What is the meaning of low latency ?
      Latency comes in to picture in all Wireless forms be it Bluetooth or InfraRed or Wireless Networking. In this context of Movies, there'll be a small lag between the actual movie scene and the audio when it is stream wirelessly via Bluetooth.

In layman terms, this lag typically happens for the below set of events which will be in microseconds and may increase or decrease depending on the interference (environmental electro magnetic disturbances), distance between the source and target device and lot of other factors.

1) Encoded for broadcast friendliness,
      2) Transmitted Wirelessly from the source,
      3) The target device receiving it and
      4) then Decoding it back to play the file.

This device I believe supports the latest Qualcomm technology to ensure there's very minimal lag. Any day if I were you will avoid such BT devices if I want quality reproduction.

What is the difference between performance with SPDIF and AV inputs ?
      SPDIF - Sony Philips Digital Interface Format
      AV - Typically Analog

SPDIF is used in typical Digital Input / Output where in the transmission will be free from Interference and the decoding happens at the destination using a Digital to Analog Converter.

Devices with SPDIF Inputs will have less trouble from external interference as the Digital signals will be free from such troubles caused by electro magnetic interference in Analog signals. It will be either light based like in Optical TOSLink cable or Digital signal in the form of Coaxial Cable.

Does these offer independent volume control per listener ?
      Sorry no idea. Have to check the device specs. In my opinion if its going to be via Wireless BT Headphones it may not be per listener. But please check I may be wrong.

I've not personally listened or heard to these BT headphones. So can't give first hand experience inputs

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

No Commerce, Just Fun
      here...

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      they're all high bandwidth sound formats which may not be fully supported by this device.
      Yes of course. i had forgotten about these formats altogether.

there's very minimal lag.
      I understand what the latency means, i want to know the actual effect of that 40 ms latency quoted as specs.. i have no personal experience of hearing at different latency specs.

SPDIF - Sony Philips Digital Interface Format
      AV - Typically Analog
      I know what the jargons mean, but i wanted to know a relative figure by which the performance would be better in case of SPDIF, last time i heard a SIDIF was at least a decade and half ago, i wanted to know some feedback from someone who is listening to SPDIF on a daily basis if possible.

Audio Banned

Awesome

Nomad If it is freedom from wires for you and you don't want to compromise on surround sound experience, there are any number of wireless dolby headphones what work on wifi direct instead of bluetooth. wifi direct offers more bandwidth so there will be no compression in conversion or down sampling to 2 channel..

The wifi direct devices use a transmitter near the source that uses SPDIF connection for dolby transmission and a wireless dolby headphone at the listening end. The immediate brand that comes to mind is Turtle Beach...but there are many more I guess.
      Low Profile ICE rebirth with ALLO amps, Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Kenwood KOS-300, Dayton midbass and wideband, Four Dayton AMT tweeters, ntech speaker cables and quanden interconnects.
      Home Audio: Laptop/Dune Media Player source, TEAC UD301 dual mono DAC, Adcom dual mono amplifier, Infinity bookshelf speakers and Wharfedale subwoofer

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread Information