Thread: My Home Theater

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Very nice they are
      Thank you.

an you possibly create a thread here for that?
      They belong to two different worlds. Here i am an Automobile Consumer. I would like to limit myself to those topics and/or adjacent topics only. I would like to remain a zero about other topics in here.

Home office, how much I wish I get one for me too.
      Just decide to have one, you will have one. It is much easier than buying a XUV500 or even your first car.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      They belong to two different worlds
      Well, I am not full on board with the statement, but respect your preference there!

Just decide to have one, you will have one
      I agree.

It is much easier than buying a XUV500 or even your first car.
      Haha, well, if you've decided, everything is easy.

I assume you've already completed your setup partially. The drawings had a date of Jan 2016. I think you used it for renovation purpose but the same got extended to lighting and Home Theatre as well. Keyboard and Karaoke add-ons are nice. Currently, my apartment doesn't let me think of any such setup, but who knows the future. In any possibility, my HT experience would be limited to adding a Yamaha YHT systems to my existing Sony smart TV which is anyway hooked to my HD and Youtube. I already have a 40mbps 75G internet plan which does great job of streaming stuff.

Recliners and LED lighting are nice add-ons. I'll see how I go about project managing it.

I am quite interested in learning from your experience and thanks for sharing it with us.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

Understanding Optimal Viewing Distance & Surround Sound Sweet Spot

It is important to create a optimum viewing and listening sweet spot to achieve a proper theater effect.

I had a viewing wall which is 6 Feet in width. Leaving 1 foot each for side speakers, i will have 4 feet width to mount the Display. A 55" TV has a horizontal width of ~ 48 inches.

TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science provides some free tool to assess the viewing distance for a given display size and content quality.

Assuming an Full HD Content, a 7 feet 3 inches distance is optimum for a 55" display.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 10.44.43 PM.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	221204

For a 720P content, a 10.5" distance is optimum so that we do not see imperfections in the video content.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 10.46.16 PM.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	221205

So for a 55" sized LED TV, optimal viewing distance is between 7' 3" to 10' 5"

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 11.03.49 PM.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	221202

Surround Sound Sweet Spot is also mostly well known, below image shows the speaker mountings and approx. angles to achieve the listening sweet spot.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 11.03.36 PM.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	257.4 KB 
ID:	221201

Combining the Optimal Viewing Distance and Surround Sound Sweet Spot in a given theater area and wall separation is as below

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-04 at 11.04.04 PM.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	255.3 KB 
ID:	221203

TV display surface is approx 4" from the wall. The recliners are generally kept 18" away from the wall so that when they recline, there are no imprints or damage to the wall. Recliners themselves have a width of 32 inches, leaving minimum required 7 feet 3 inches distance between the seat and the TV, which is optimal for a HD content, for a lower quality content, the recliners gets pushed back a bit.

Optimum HDTV viewing distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia link provides some more authentic information.

Some more basic guidelines as understood by me are as below

• Bottom edge of the TV Aligned to the viewer’s eye level
      • Viewer’s head should not get tilted more than 15 degrees to reach the entire screen even in fully reclined position
      • FL & FR Speakers should be mounted at the ear levels (approx)
      • Center Speaker could be mounted either below or above the TV
      • RL & RR Speakers could be mounted bit wider and higher than ear level but they must be oriented / angled towards the viewer

Last edited by Nomad; 5th Aug 2016 at 00:35.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      A 55" TV
      What is the right size of TV to buy is again connected to the area where it is going to be placed. In a general scenario, bigger the better works. I got 42 inch TV and we see FullHD content from a distance of 14-16 feet (hall is 10x18). Not optimal for sure. Did you think about high lumens projector instead of TV?

So in your case, did the viewing area decide the size of the TV or size of the TV decided its placement?

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

o in your case, did the viewing area decide the size of the TV or size of the TV decided its placement?
      I think you did not read the text in the previous post. Based on the available area, i decided the screen size for the TV.

Did you think about high lumens projector instead of TV?
      I did not find any good quality projectors which assure lamp life. from my office experience, i know a bit or two about projector and lamp life. i have also experienced lamp replacement costs.
      So i find LED TVs are much better than the currently available projectors in budget prices. They offer better brightness and contrast ratios, they also offer better HD content processing and integrated internet Tv functionalities. I was okay to go even larger size, but based on calculations, 55" was most optimum for our available space.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

Understanding complete system and interfaces

Next step was to understand complete system block diagram and interfaces. Following picture shows how different equipments gets interconnected to complete the Audio Visual Home Theater System

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 12.17.14 PM.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	872.6 KB 
ID:	221217

I would need a Television with following minimum specifications

* Full HD 1080P
      * 55" Diagonal Display size
      * 2 HDMI Connectors
      * 1 USB Connector
      * 2 CVBS Connector
      * HDMI Out
      * Audio / Video Output
      * Ethernet Connector
      * WiFi (& BT)

Following elements of the system were by default available

* Philips DVD Player with Dolby Decoder
      * Magic Sing Karaoke Mic
      * Yamaha Keyboard
      * 2 TB HDD
      * TPLink 300mbps Wifi Router

Got the BSNL 40mbps Fibre to the Home (FTTH) connection along with the ONT 100C modem + back up micro UPS. It was the only available option in the neighborhood, but after i got my connection ACT Broadband also started rolling out their network.

Next step was to short list a Television above specifications and the Home Theater AV Decoder & Speakers.

Last edited by Nomad; 6th Aug 2016 at 13:23.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

Selecting the suitable Television

I did a feature comparison of suitable models of SONY, LG and Samsung

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.51.24 PM.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	221284

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.51.41 PM.png 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	221283

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.52.23 PM.png 
Size:	335.0 KB 
ID:	221282

I visited few show rooms and got a demo of all three models and did a on-line study of consumer feedback and purchase reviews. Based on this i listed my conclusions and preferences.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-06 at 9.52.40 PM.png 
Size:	271.4 KB 
ID:	221281

SONY does not have IPS panel as it buys panel from Samsung. IPS Large panels are made by LG Displays. Personally i did not like IPS Panel as i felt it less bright during day time, I also did not like color tone in Samsung TVs, i found it to be too much boosted. I particularly liked the color reproduction in SONY TV.

LG Makes SmartTv with WebOS, Samsung makes it with Tizen and SONY with Android. As Android APP Ecosystem is huge and supported by Mobile as well as Automobile players, it has a perceived edge over the other two.

LG has one of the best Remote Controls among the three. SONY Bravia consumes least power among the comparable models of 3 brands. I felt Audio is better in SONY compared to LG and Samsung.

So my selection was SONY KDL55W800D, 55" Full HD LED Television
      Last edited by Nomad; 6th Aug 2016 at 23:18.

Awesome

So my selection was SONY KDL55W800D, 55" Full HD LED Television
      Nice selection. I would have gone for the same among these three brands. I felt the same difference between these three brand TVs while shopping for 40-42 inch smart tv 3 years ago. Just one more worry. As the android keeps changing, older version devices are rendered useless as there are no apps updated for old versions. Till when Sony says that it will keep updating the apps or OS. Any assurance from Sony on that?

Did u decide the HTS? I would suggest to include ONKYO in the list.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

No Commerce, Just Fun
      New Year 2017

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      As the android keeps changing, older version devices are rendered useless as there are no apps updated for old versions. Till when Sony says that it will keep updating the apps or OS. Any assurance from Sony on that?
      TV Unit (manufactured in May 2016, bought in July 2016) inside the packed box had a version of Android SW, Installation technician updated it to the latest software from his USB memory stick. Since last 2 days another new update is ready and TV is prompting the user to let it get updated.

One of the reason to go to Android is its popularity. It is the de-facto OS in Smart Phones. It is definitely a contender for de facto position in smart televisions. It is also one of the two popular OS in Car Entertainment Systems, knowing how consumer electronics companies work, till it is being sold, they will keep supporting it with upgrades. More over Android is also quite mature now, we are already in version N in Mobile, may be TV version might be bit behind, still it is quite mature. I am not very much worried about APP STORE, most needed APPs are already provided by SONY, Even if we manage to use all those APPs on a regular basis it would be a efficient situation.

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      Did u decide the HTS? I would suggest to include ONKYO in the list.
      I have done few auditions. i am yet to firm up my budget and my basic requirement list. work in progress. Which ONKYO model you suggest ? What is unique about it ?

Awesome

Agree on the android part. Even my Sony smarttv with non-android is gets software updates even 3 years after purchase, android should be even better. The tv probably running the cortex based CPU, should remain upgradable for longer time.

No particular model, just that I found ONKYO to be better than others that I had auditioned. I don't yet own one.
      Last edited by Nomad; 7th Aug 2016 at 11:47. Reason: Removed the entire quote as it poses difficulty for mobile readers

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information