• Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Home Theater

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a vitamin dose

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      block diagram and interfaces
      I am not sure how much of this you have completed already, but I do have a suggestion for you.

The 2 TB HDD, rather than connecting it to TV, try and connect it to some USB enabled router (it looks you already have settled your Internet). I currently have my 1TB HDD connected directly to USB of TV and everytime I need to update content on the HDD, I need to unplug it from TV, connect it to my laptop. Its sort of in-convenience. Also, my phone, iPad, wife's phone can't connect with that HD while it is plugged into TV.

I have been planning to get a router with USB where I could plug my HD and have all Wifi enabled devices of my house perform 2-way communication, meaning, me and my wife can simply offload or upload data from our phones to that HD and TV could get the content from it too. That USB HD can work as single sync point for all content of my house.

So my selection was SONY KDL55W800D, 55" Full HD LED Television
      Great choice. A 55" 3D, Android TV with 400hz refresh rate (i think its 800) is amazing. When I was checking out TVs for my home, I could visibly notice the difference in 120hz, 200z, 400hz TV. I could see an visual change in 400 & 800 hz. I ended up getting KDL42W670D with 120hz due to budget limitation. Only thing I'd suggest you is to look for 4k TVs, FullHDs are a gen old. 55W800D would anyway cost you 1.3L or so.

Oh BTW, I still get software updates on my Sony. I typically use YouTube and HD extensively and haven't touched other features/apps that are there. So I am not sure how good a use the Android is in TV.

Quote Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
      I found ONKYO to be better than others that I had auditioned
      So I am clearly an exception. Onkyo when I auditioned, I couldn't figure any special thing out of it. It was at one of my friend's place some 5 years ago. Not sure if he had done a poor job in setting it up. After that, the thought of owning an HTS system has troubled me on and off. I have casually auditioned few setup in shops quite a few time. Yamaha has managed to impress me the most. Reviews have been great, device, when I listened myself was super. So I think I am fixed in getting YHT-299 or YHT-2190 system. They should cost somewhere 35-40k but they will be worth the spend. At one point, I actually was closure in fixing a deal as well, just to back out at last min. One of my friend ended up getting YHT-199 an year back on my suggestion and he still laughs at my in-decisiveness.

I am a normal typical consumer and not an audiophile who could spend tonnes of money and time on setting up an ideal system for divine experience. So my taste need not to match with everyone else.

ACT Broadband also started rolling
      This is what I have at home. Simply amazing. Very happy with their service so far.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Year End... 5 months away...

Awesome

Trying to understand: Where is my Musical Heart ?

An audiophile is a person enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction. From this perspective, i am not an audiophile. While i like to listen to the music, i tend to focus more on lyrics than the musical notes. I like the rhythm as well as tempo of a song. i do not understand much about classical Ragas and Talas, but able to appreciate them to some extent. More over my musical preferences might be different than that of other family members. How many times we would be listening to our favorite music. How do i decide how much money i need to spend on this musical experience at home ? Where is my musical heart ?

So i thought thorough the different musical genres i like and mapped my preference of listening to a particular genre.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 11.24.47 PM.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	221309

The above shows, what type of music i like and prefer to listen to. So when i go for Audition, i need to carry some of my favorite music with me and listen to same across all the equipment set ups. That is a good way to understand the performance of each set up.

After understanding my own preferences, i also interviewed my wife and daughter, who are going to be other two primary users of the system whenever it gets installed.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 11.26.14 PM.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	144.0 KB 
ID:	221307

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-07 at 11.25.08 PM.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	166.5 KB 
ID:	221308

While the musical preference of wife is a subset of mine, the daughter has been developing her own interests in genre, just like any other teenager. So definitely i need to take her for the audition of the short listed set ups, prior to the actual purchase.

These charts are like a compass, point at where our actual interests lie amid the range of options. Best aspect of this study was my wife and daughter can not now complain that i do not understand their likes and preferences.

Last edited by Nomad; 8th Aug 2016 at 00:52.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      So I am clearly an exception. Onkyo when I auditioned, I couldn't figure any special thing out of it. It was at one of my friend's place some 5 years ago. Not sure if he had done a poor job in setting it up. After that, the thought of owning an HTS system has troubled me on and off. I have casually auditioned few setup in shops quite a few time. Yamaha has managed to impress me the most. Reviews have been great, device, when I listened myself was super. So I think I am fixed in getting YHT-299 or YHT-2190 system. They should cost somewhere 35-40k but they will be worth the spend.
      It was somewhere aroung 7-8 years ago, and I was looking in sub-25k category. Had got audition of only Onkyo and Sony. And Onkyo was much better than the Sony. I want to have a HTS, but i do not like the wire clutter, and I am not going to renovate my house any sooner. So it is on back burner. Might consider getting a sound bar sometime.

No Commerce, Just Fun

Awesome

Understanding "the surround"

Nature presents us with some of the following unique experiences.

(1) Rains
      (2) Fog
      (3) Sounds of Jungle
      (4) Multiple Sounds we hear from different direction
      (5) Lake surrounded by trees
      (6) Roar of Sea
      (7) Combination of all above.

There are more such experiences. What is so unique about them ?, They are what one call Immersive Experiences. It provide us with a feel of being in the middle, they also help us feel the degree of immersion. We can feel the water surrounding us once we jump into the lake, we can understand how much rains are pouring down, we can understand which bird is singing in what direction, we can feel the fog and the degree of transparence it presents, we can understand calmness of the sea as well. Our eyes, ears, skin, nose provide those sensory inputs to the mind to feel that immersion.

There is a difference in watching a rain from distance and being in rain, same is true with other immersive experiences. Experiencing Rains in the middle of the forest or at the edge of the hill facing the sea is more immersive than each of the experiences on its own. It requires more effort and expense to get such an immersive experience. Surround Sound is similar experience. So which one is adequate for a home experience. What degree of immersion do we need ?, This decides the sophistication of the system and the money i need to pay. It also helps to convince oneself and one's boss at home why we need to spend that much money while a simple 1000 RS system also provides the sound.

Following are the different "Surround Sound" systems that can provide you different level of immersive experience.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 10.19.11 AM.png 
Views:	20 
Size:	262.3 KB 
ID:	221407

Following table lists the difference in these four Surround Sound systems from a common consumer perspective.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 10.19.26 AM.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	221406

I will be doing audition of all four types prior to short listing the one. So far i have done Audition of few 2.1 systems, 5.1 Systems, Sound Bars. I will be listening to more in coming days. It is difficult to list down all the systems i auditioned, but i will try to summarize couple of them which i liked the most.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

You should come for the What Hi-Fi show at the Ritz-Carlton from the 19-21st. I hear some great stuff are going to be showcased. Many of us will be there checking out some great Home Audio stuff.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Zapco.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

No Commerce, Just Fun

Awesome

That is great mclaren1885, Rahul, thanks for letting me know about this event which I was not aware of, I will try to visit one of those days

No Commerce, Just Fun

Awesome

Sony Bravia 800D : What Sound Features it offers?

The Surround Sound System should compliment the sound system that is available in the television. Hence I looked at what is available in my chosen Television KDL55W800D from Sony.

It has two 10W speakers. It does not have any subwoofer, Sony lists these two sound features in their catalogs.

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 11.04.00 AM.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	281.1 KB 
ID:	221409

As I understand from SONY Catalog, ClearSound+ includes three different sub features.

• S-Force Front Surround PRO emulates a three-dimensional sound field using only two front speakers. So you can enjoy 360 surround sound for a truly exhilarating experience.
      • Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) technology restores lost frequencies, especially highs, for natural sound with a more spacious feel. A real asset when you’re watching internet videos or playing games.
      • Clear Phase Audio analyses and samples speaker frequency response, then uses this information to digitally tune sound output. The result is lifelike audio with separation and clarity.

The Bass Reflex speaker delivers impressive low-end sound that’s well suited to movies, sport and music. An isolated box design (refer the pic above) ensures highly efficient sound reproduction, delivering punchy bass without compromising detail and clarity.

I did an audition of the television at the Sony Shop and was quite satisfied with the sound experience. I also realized that i should go for 5.1 surround instead of virtual surround using sound bars as TV already provides certain virtual surround experience. 7.1 surround was dropped as my viewing area was between two walls and it might not make significant difference. Headphone based Surround was also put on back burner as one hardly wears headphones while watching television. That helped in narrowing down the options.

Last edited by Nomad; 14th Aug 2016 at 20:39.

Gears in head!!!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      KDL55W500D
      KDL55W800D you mean!

No Commerce, Just Fun

Awesome

Understanding what are my options in terms of products available?

I could so far find following Brands sell Home Theater Systems in India. The first link is the product website and second is the price wise listing available online

Yamaha Home Theaters in India
      Home Theater Packages - Yamaha - India
      Yamaha Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

Onkyo Home Theaters in India
      Onkyo India
      Onkyo Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

JBL & Harman Kardon Home Theaters in India
      Home Theatre Packages |Harman official store in India | Harmanaudio.in
      Harman Kardon Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India
      JBL Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

Bose Home Theaters in India
      Soundbars and Home Theater Systems
      Bose Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

Sony Home Theater Systems in India
      5.1 Home Theatre Speakers | All-in-one Home Theatre Systems | Sony IN
      Sony Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

Samsung Home Theater Systems in India
      Samsung DVD Player, Home Theater System, Soundbar, Blu-ray Player, Wireless Speakers

Samsung Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

LG Home Theater Systems in India
      LG Home Theatre Systems - View Smart Home Theaters | LG India
      LG Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

Philips Home Theater Systems in India
      Compare our 5.1 home cinema | Philips
      Philips Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

Panasonic Home Theater Systems in India
      Panasonic Home Theatre- Home Theatre Systems, Best Home Theatre Systems
      Panasonic Home Theaters, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

I will add more to this list as find more Brands/Products being officially sold in India.

My criteria or filters for shortlisting are below

(1) Official Presence in India, Office, Sales, Retail & Service Network
      (2) Availability of 5.1 Surround Sound System as Complete Product.
      (3) Products in my Budget Price Range : Mid to Premium
      (4) Indian Rupee Price including Product, Warrantee, Installation, Calibration and Service
      (5) Availability of Products for Audition in Bangalore

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 9.22.31 PM.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	221422
      This is my current understanding, I will update this table prior to the final decision,

Last edited by Nomad; 15th Aug 2016 at 21:24.

Gears in head!!!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Why not considering Denon, Sharp, Pioneer, Marantz, or Polk Audio? Specially Denon and Pioneer will tick most of your boxes.

Yamaha does have retail and service setup in Bangalore:

YAMAHA MUSIC SQUARE, BANGALORE

THOMSUN MUSIC HOUSE
      # 3274/A, 11th MAIN, HAL 2ND STAGE,
      INDIRANAGAR
      BANGALORE - 560038
      KARNATAKA

And

THOMSUN MUSIC HOUSE
      LG-19, PHOENIX MARKET CITY,
      MAHADEVAPURA, WHITE FIELD ROAD,
      BANGALORE-560048

Tel +91- 80 - 67266588/77

More details here : YAMAHA MUSIC SQUARE - About Yamaha - Yamaha - India. You should be able to audition them in any Reliance Degital / Next like showrooms. They typically have just 3-4 HTIBs.

One more criteria for you to check will be - do these systems (entry / mid / premium) offer everything you asking for? There may be a entry-level product from a brand which may not meet your requirements of in/out ports that you are looking for.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information