• Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which New Luxury

Stage 1 ICE'd- SO Audio

Hungry

Which New Luxury

Hello Guys,

Before I pop the question, let me give a brief history:

1) First Car - Maruthi Omni : A practical car. This was the very first car that we purchased. Dad had set up a company in 1998. And with the slight profits that we earned at that time we stepped into the world of mobility with this car. At that time for us this was a luxury and I remember that we used to look at the car with pride and joy. We used to clean that car daily. It served our family of four well with little issues. Learned how to drive with this car.

2) Second Car - Maruthi Baleno : The business grew and we started to earn a little bit more than the previous years. Because our experience with Maruthi was good, we decided to go in for a Sedan. We test drove the Lancer and the Baleno and for us the Baleno was the winner. Gem of a car. Loved every second I spent behind the wheel. Omni thought me how to drive and this car thought me how to unleash the beast within me. Wonderful engine.

3) Third Car - Toyota Corolla : The best investment that my family has made until now in Vehicles. Purchased in 2006 and driven till now. Wonderful practical car and extreme levels of quality. Never let my family down for even a second. Not enough words to express our happiness with it

4) Foruth Car - Hyundai Santro - Not exactly sure why dad bought it. Even he is not sure. We sold it in three years with 36K on the odo. Served its purpose

5) Fifth Car - Honda Jazz : Needed a small car. At this point in time we had sold the Baleno and had only the Corolla to grace our garage. Purchased the Jazz in 2011 and sold it in 2015. Good car but I was disappointed with the quality of some of the components and the after sales service. Perhaps i got the runt of the litter

6) Sixth Car - Hyundai Creta : We have always wanted a SUV for our long distance travels. Finally decided to go with the Creta and we are enjoying.

So this is the current scenario. To summarize in short i currently have the Corolla and the Creta. The need is simple guys. I need to replace the Corolla as it is 10 years old. We have decided to step into the world of Luxury.

The cars i have shortlisted are :
      1) BMW X1
      2) Audi B9 A4

My criteria is simple:

1) Luxury Segment
      2) Interior space
      Last edited by nikhil.thup; 2nd Aug 2016 at 16:40. Reason: updaed with the latest info
      Hyundai Creta 2016 - SO Audio Orchestra
      Toyota Corolla - Reliable to the end

GT Power!!

Awesome

The Audi A4 will be a notch above the X1 in space and luxury. And you will still have one proper sedan and one SUV. With X1 you will have 2 SUVs.
      Thanks,
      Ragesh G R
      ---------------------------------------
      2015 Volkswagen Polo GT TSI
      2014 TVS Wego
      2007 Hyundai Santro Xing XL AT
      2002 TVS Scooty
      1989 Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 RTZ

Stage 1 ICE'd- SO Audio

Hungry

I agree with you on both points. The thing here is my dad doesnt specifically care if we are going to have 2 SUV's. He has a need to get into that segment. This would be an Office purchase. He is sort of reluctant is buying a costly car. But he has to do it because the company wants him to have one. So while budget is a priority, the thinking is that we would go for a car that is worth the money being spent. What i mean by that is that we rejected the C series simply because of space constraints. We thought if i am going to spend 40+ lakhs on car and not be able to travel in relative comfort (5 people) then there is no point.

I want the A4 as it is a sedan but not yet sure what dad wants. He is taking into account maintenance and life cycle costs as well.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil.thup View Post
      My criteria is simple:

1) Luxury Segment
      2) Interior space
      Skoda Superb or Mercedes S Class. Rest all are short on luxury and space.

GT Power!!

Awesome

Yes Skoda Superb is a great choice at that price.
      Thanks,
      Ragesh G R
      ---------------------------------------
      2015 Volkswagen Polo GT TSI
      2014 TVS Wego
      2007 Hyundai Santro Xing XL AT
      2002 TVS Scooty
      1989 Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 RTZ

Living the dream

Awesome

Toyota Camry Hybrid - It would be redundant but this car is absolutely silent. Comfort - upgrading from a Corolla, it should be more or less the same.
      Duster 110 -
      Source - Pioneer 80 PRS
      DSP - Helix DSP Pro
      Amplification
      - Mosconi AS200.4 (Mid Bass & Sub), AS100.4 (Tweeter & Mid Range)
      Speakers - AudioFrog GB60, GB25, GB10, Sub - GS12D4

not aware that he can set his status here!

Hungry

BMW will be the least expensive to maintain out of all three brands(Merc and Audi being the other two) and the most reliable too. Audi Maintenance will be expensive than BMW and Mercedes Benz is most expensive of the lot.

Keep in mind A4 is more premium than X1 and is a segment above. Also consider the new 320d or even the 3GT. The new B47 Engine is brilliant and you can get discount between 4-6 lacs on these. Haggling is the key. They are also offering some discount of the new X1.

Always keep in mind that all three German Brands(merc, BMW and Audi) have huge margins on their cars and therefore there's always cushion for good discounts. The current outgoing A4 has been selling like this only. Merc is also offering 8-9 lacs off on E250d.. the same is with BMW 520d. Both models are at the end of their life cycle so their parent companies are keen on selling left over kits to make way for new gen models.
      2015 Mercedes-Benz C200 Avantgarde
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      2014 Tata Safari Storme EX
      2014 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta:
      Nexus 7 -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| DLS A2 | Audible Physics RAM3a | Boston GT2125
      | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | Rockford Fosgate T400-2 | Morel Ultimo SC

Brio SMT

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      Skoda Superb or Mercedes S Class. Rest all are short on luxury and space.

S Class is more than 1 crore and is a ideally a chauffeur driven car for executives or celebs.

Stage 1 ICE'd- SO Audio

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
      BMW will be the least expensive to maintain out of all three brands(Merc and Audi being the other two) and the most reliable too. Audi Maintenance will be expensive than BMW and Mercedes Benz is most expensive of the lot.
      Thanks for the info. How reliable is the Benz in comparison to the other two

Update:

1) AUDI A4:
      Checked the Audi A4 last week.Nice car. The rear leg room has increased. I am not sure I would say it has increased substantially but this is a marked improvement. Also the car feels more sleek and modern than the older one. Unfortunately they still had not yet received the approvals for Test Drive. Hope to do the same soon. However I think my dad is not in favor of the A4. Being used to the Corolla, Creta and the Jazz it is bothering him that he has to bend to get into and out of the car.

2) Benz GLC:
      Went to the showroom on the same day. Was pleased with the experience. At first looks the GLC looks nice and well built. The edition 1 series has all the gizmos inbuilt and space in the rear was to our liking. Ingress and Egress was also easy and comfortable. Though maybe the car is tall for my mom. Would have to get her a stool to get into and out (so long as she doesn't hit me with it). Car was luxurious and we liked it instantly. We were told the CBU units are almost sold out and the CKD units will start coming from this month onwards. There will be the usual reduction in features leading to a price drop. Apparently they would releasing two versions (not yet confirmed). One would be the entry level GLC. Waiting to test drive once it comes down. The GLC appears to the first choice (budget contingent)

3) GST Tax:
      Guys i have been reading about this. Quite a lot of people say that there would be a 10 to whatever percent reduction in prices. For a car a in this segment i am assuming that at least 5 lakhs would be reduced from the price. What are your thoughts. Will this actually happen and is it worth it to wait for the same.
      Last edited by nikhil.thup; 15th Sep 2016 at 13:03. Reason: Updated information

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by nikhil.thup View Post
      My criteria is simple:

1) Luxury Segment
      2) Interior space
      You should also consider ,

Skoda superb,
      upcoming passat,
      upcoming accord,
      camry hybrid.

Like jack sparrow said you have to spend a lot to get space in luxury cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information