I am looking at a purchase of a 15 year old zen base model (2001 manufacture). The drive-terrain (engine and gear box) is top notch based on my drive. The body has also held up really well (nothing out of the ordinary). The issues which I know need sorting out and which I am apprehensive about are listed below:
1. The a/c is working very weirdly. Cannot explain at all, but, I am ok with getting this repaired.
2. The headlights are mis-aligned, and one of the tail-light is not working.
3. Clutch may need replacement, but not immediately.
4. Suspension overhaul seems to be required.
5. Main apprehension: engine.. I know that this car has been maintained be the local mechanic very regularly, but I am not so sure whether they have done the timing chain service, and I don't know any good ones here locally (chandigarh area). Further, I am not aware about the problems which are specific to this engine.
6. Will look whether the car's registration has been renewed or not.
The main purpose of buying this car will be as a beater car. I am willing to spend about 20-30k additional over the cost of purchase if I am sure that the car will be give me service for next 3 years minimum.
What are your suggestions?