• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 15 year old used zen: buy or no buy?

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

Blog Entries

15 year old used zen: buy or no buy?

Hi guys,

I am looking at a purchase of a 15 year old zen base model (2001 manufacture). The drive-terrain (engine and gear box) is top notch based on my drive. The body has also held up really well (nothing out of the ordinary). The issues which I know need sorting out and which I am apprehensive about are listed below:

1. The a/c is working very weirdly. Cannot explain at all, but, I am ok with getting this repaired.

2. The headlights are mis-aligned, and one of the tail-light is not working.

3. Clutch may need replacement, but not immediately.

4. Suspension overhaul seems to be required.

5. Main apprehension: engine.. I know that this car has been maintained be the local mechanic very regularly, but I am not so sure whether they have done the timing chain service, and I don't know any good ones here locally (chandigarh area). Further, I am not aware about the problems which are specific to this engine.

6. Will look whether the car's registration has been renewed or not.

The main purpose of buying this car will be as a beater car. I am willing to spend about 20-30k additional over the cost of purchase if I am sure that the car will be give me service for next 3 years minimum.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks,

Simple_car

GT Power!!

Awesome

What is the objective of buying this car dude? Getting it dirt cheap?, love for zen? , budget constraints? , planning to create one more B-zen?
      Thanks,
      Ragesh G R
      ---------------------------------------
      2015 Volkswagen Polo GT TSI
      2014 TVS Wego
      2007 Hyundai Santro Xing XL AT
      2002 TVS Scooty
      1989 Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 RTZ

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

You can get a used 8-10 year old alto,which will be easy to get spares etc.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

+1 to the above post. It would be very difficult to get OE parts for Zen but an Alto would be easier. Even if you get it at a throwaway price, and if you're ready to spend 20-30k on Non OE parts there's no guarantee that the replaced parts will hold the regular wear & tear / abuse. If I were you, I would think twice.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Forget and forgive. Live and
      let live. Learn and learn to

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
      What is the objective of buying this car dude? Getting it dirt cheap?, love for zen?
      Beater car that I am looking to buy is dirt cheap. And partly because I love that old shape.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkls View Post
      You can get a used 8-10 year old alto,which will be easy to get spares
      The price of the alto is minimum double of what I would have to pay for the zen, and I would still have uncertainty regarding the maintainence. It holds its value very well here (even 10 year old models).

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      It would be very difficult to get OE parts for Zen but an Alto would be easier.
      Good suggestion. I will enquire about the OE parts availability with the local A.S.S. However, the old zen is very popular in this part of the country (though the chances are higher that they are not serviced by A.S.S.). If the OE parts availability is not a problem, would zen be better proposition?

Thanks,
      Simple_car

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
      If the OE parts availability is not a problem, would zen be better proposition?
      Yup better than Alto any day. Get it fixed with a FNG who knows what he does & you should be having a trouble free experience atleast 10-15K kms provided routine services like oil & filter changes are taken care of.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

The price of the alto is minimum double of what I would have to pay for the zen, and I would still have uncertainty regarding the maintainence. It holds its value very well here (even 10 year old models).
      In that case you can go for it, just do the usual checks like rust etc?

Petrol Head

Awesome

I have a 2000 model ZEN VX with 1.6 lac on odo here are my thoughts
      1. The a/c is working very weirdly. Cannot explain at all, but, I am ok with getting this repaired.
      AC will trouble you for the lifetime of the car. There is just something wrong with zen AC and how much you try it just doesn't work perfectly.

You can get a used 8-10 year old alto
      Alto and zen are leagues apart. You just don't get the zen quality in alto. Also alto is 3 pot and zen is 4

which will be easy to get spares etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Non OE parts
      There are very few parts mainly electrical/electronic that are not easily available. Rest is pretty easily available.

would zen be better proposition?
      Way better and cheaper than the alto. Even after driving polo tsi the zen always leaves a smile and adreline rush

aware that he can set his
      status here! but choose not to

Awesome

Hi guys,

I am looking at a purchase of a 15 year old zen base model (2001 manufacture). The drive-terrain (engine and gear box) is top notch based on my drive. The body has also held up really well (nothing out of the ordinary). The issues which I know need sorting out and which I am apprehensive about are listed below:

2. The headlights are mis-aligned, and one of the tail-light is not working.

3. Clutch may need replacement, but not immediately.

4. Suspension overhaul seems to be required.

5. Main apprehension: engine.. I know that this car has been maintained be the local mechanic very regularly, but I am not so sure whether they have done the timing chain service, and I don't know any good ones here locally (chandigarh area). Further, I am not aware about the problems which are specific to this engine.

6. Will look whether the car's registration has been renewed or not.

The main purpose of buying this car will be as a beater car. I am willing to spend about 20-30k additional over the cost of purchase if I am sure that the car will be give me service for next 3 years minimum.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks,

Simple_car
      sparkls is right, do check the rust, you can rebuild the engine, make AC work and overhaul suspension, but you can't build the chasis

Lost & searching..

Secret

Simple_car - I have a 2000 MPFI Zen. Drives like a charm. OE parts are not a problem at all. I'm yet to have trouble that needs to wait for parts for fixing. The car is bone stock and gets serviced on the dot at scheduled intervals. The car has run 1.3 L kms.

AC is definitely not the best. I have given up on this. These days I mostly drive without AC.
      There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the Guillotine - PGW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information