I am planning to buy a GPS Navigator for my car

Most of my travel will be in Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka

Confused whether to go for MapMyIndia OR Garmin

Budget: 10k - 15K

Please advice

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Consider an Android headunit and use Google maps. Offline map storage is also supported these days, though you will have to update it monthly. GMaps also offering live traffic for most cities and major highways in India. Not sure if any other navigation service provider is also offering live traffic for that much of locations.

You can also use any Android tab also for the purpose.

Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI Stage 2 :)

Awesome

Currently i am using my android phone for travel purpose. But again the same device is used for streaming audio as well as for calls. I don't want to put my entire dependency on phone.

Last time on my travel back from ooty along with my family, my phone lost the signal and was almost trapped at night along with heavy rain !

Reclaimed my life!

Awesome

Go with Map My India, preferably LX356a which also has video input for reverse camera, Multimedia support with extendable memory. It will fall in your budget.

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Indian007 View Post
      Currently i am using my android phone for travel purpose. But again the same device is used for streaming audio as well as for calls. I don't want to put my entire dependency on phone.
      I have a Lumia running Windows Phone 8 with HERE Maps for offline GPS. When HERE isn't satisfying, I use the Google maps temporarily on my primary device.

Yo he cambiado

Secret

Last time on my travel back from ooty along with my family, my phone lost the signal and was almost trapped at night along with heavy rain !
      If you are looking for a good offline maps app for Android, take a look at OsmAnd - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...t.osmand&hl=en
      You can download offline map of entire India. I have used it in Bangalore and Delhi, but that was 2 years ago. Now I use Google maps for real time traffic data. But I still have OsmAnd as backup on my phone.

Brio SMT

Secret

MMI is good for city use but newer or developing places it gets confused. Garmin LCD is amazing, speaker also very loud. My brother got it from Canada and I use the free, default map, not bad at all. If you have co-ordinates it will take you there no issues. I use it very rarely though so have not bought the software for it.

Life's Boring !!!

Awesome

Chandigarh (Paradise) - Indrapuram (Vertical Slum)
      You can also now download Google Maps of a specific area for use when there is no internet.This feature was added in the last release. Before my travel I usually download the maps from google of the areas where I would be travelling for offline use.

Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI Stage 2 :)

Awesome

Thanks for all your comments

Let me tell you again and again that i am NOT interested in Google Maps. No offences please

Anyone got any review regarding GPS navigators ?

Fear - False Evidence
      Appearing Real

Awesome

Thanks for all your comments

Let me tell you again and again that i am NOT interested in Google Maps. No offences please

Anyone got any review regarding GPS navigators ?
      I have Map My India Car Pad 7 since last 4 years. I use it extensively in Karnataka, Andhra and Tamilnadu. i Can easily vouch for the maps here since i find the below positives as compared to Google Maps. I recommend you to go with MMI by closing your eyes, and you will enjoy it.

1. It will will definitely take you to the place that you mark as destination. (As compared to Google,wherein, where Google Maps has taken me to a land of nowhere and says that is my destination whereas My actual destination will be some 5-6 Kms away. This has happened in few village destinations
      2. I feel MMI navigation is more user friendly than Google (Personal Opinion). Taking left or right, or the road path curves is Always, from bottom to top with car position in center. And screen turns accordingly when the car turns) (Purple coloured road) gives clear understanding of where we need to head to. In Google, the path sometimes shows from bottom to top, some times, from left to right. So, it is confusing for me
      3. In one instance(Only one instance thankfully) I had downloaded offline map for a radius of some 300 KMs and i had crossed the limit. Unfortunately, my mobile data was off because, i had travelled interstate(It is office SIM and data will be off the moment I cross the state) I was not able to get the path beyond this point. So, started inquiring the path with the local friends in that area and that helped. This would not have been the case, had i had carried my MMI

As far as negatives are concerned
      1. Searching for a destination city or village (Or Point of Interest ) is difficult while route planning since the name you type does not appear in the search results (Example: If you type Mandalpatti (Near Madikeri), the results will not show the result. whereas if you search the same place on the map by zooming in, it shows up somewhere near 30 kms from Madikeri. This is true for many such places (Major cities like, Madurai, etc will show up easily. But, small villages will not show up
      2. Sound is not loud enough to listen at high speeds (I have designed a workaround for this. will enable bluetooth and get it Paired with my Autocop reverse camera mirror . Have set the Autocop mirror FM transmitter to 88.0 MHz and coupled ICE HU FM receiver to 88 MHz. whenever i get stuck with directions, i will switch on Blue tooth of MMI and pair with Autocop device and Switch on FM receiver on ICE to tune at 88 Mhz
      This way, i can hear the Map My India voice commands through ICE
      3. Once in a year, you may have to upgrade your maps to latest one and this will bite your pocket (Rs 500 per update)

Regards
      girish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information