• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.1 Home Audio System - Budget <30K

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      While I am sold on sophistication and quality of Yamaha YHT systems, I am still skeptical about its form factor. I am not convinced with a wired satellite system and wires all over my hall.
      +1

I do not want any wires running around from main unit to speakers, specially the rear speakers. The external powered rear ones but wireless to carry audio signal are still fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Also, do I need a 5.1 or 2.1 system wasn't clear either. I need it to sound well and that's all.
      I think a 2.1 channel soundbar will give just a louder voice, and apart from the thumpig coming from subwoofer. A 2.1 with virtual surround can never match a 5.1 in surround effects at all. Thats is why i want to go and get audition of some soundbars and 5.1 HT systems.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

The idea of wireless system is not as convenient or as wire-free as it sounds during first look at specs sheet.

There are two types of wireless speaker systems, one is battery operated and another which require separate power input. If its got power cables then its not wireless, finding power port at appropriate place will be a task. If found, the wires will be exposed leaving the system indifferent to wired one. Also every speaker will have it's own amplifier built into the box which will convert a simple thing like speaker into a electronic gadget.

If its battery operated one then changing or replacing batteries of speakers will turn out a very cumbersome task once the honeymoon period is over. It leaves you feel embarrassed when batteries of one or more channels suddenly die during mid of a movie or show you are watching with your family or friends.

Wireless system involves lot of additional unnecessary electricals hence risk of failures are also increased. If somehow the main wireless transmitter conks of once the product is out of warranty or discontinued, finding the part will become a tedious job. Chances are higher that the part is not found at all which in result can turn the whole system into a bare showpiece.

On the other hand, concealing wiring for wired system is headache for only one time, once done, it becomes robust setup, install it and forget it. Financially also they turn out much cheaper. You can get far greater set of equipments in the price of entry level wireless system, if sound quality is your concern.

Wired setup will allow you much more customisation in future when you feel to upgrade one or more components. You can replace speakers if you wish at any point of time, you can replace in pairs or can star building it by getting a pair and upgrade to 5.1 or 7.1 or more in future without need of dumping the older pairs. if you are not happy with power output or features then you just have to upgrade your amp or AVR.

Its also important that what kind of wireless functionality you are looking at? If you just want freedom of streaming through your smartphone or tab etc then you can get that functionality in wired setup also. Most of AVRs provide that functionality these days.

Account all these factors and make sure you aren't going to end up with more complicated gadget while trying to build a simple speaker system.

Audio Banned

Awesome

The Violet3D guys had brought in an interesting concept of wireless speakers were they could be powered from bulb sockets.
      They are based out of bangalore and you guys can check out a demo.

http://www.violet3d.com/
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Ref. MX cables, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 4-channel amps, Dayton Reference 7 inch midbass, Dayton 4 inch reference midrange and Dayton AMT Tweeters, Infinity Kappa 10 inch subwoofer
      Home Audio, 3-way active - Dune Media Player, Parasound DAC, Behringer 32-band equalizer, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, Dayton Audio 3-way tower speakers.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      The Violet3D guys had brought in an interesting concept of wireless speakers were they could be powered from bulb sockets.
      They need power, thy need wires, how are they wireless?

Audio Banned

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      another which require separate power input. If its got power cables then its not wireless, finding power port at appropriate place will be a task.
      I was running a similar setup for the surrounds in my 7 channel HT system. The transmitter was kept on top of the receiver and the receivers atop the surround speakers. These have very small footprint and come inbuit with amplifiers which are powerfull enough for surround speakers.
      The only glitch is to find a power source for the receiver and I had no issues. However as the receivers were atop the surround speakers, the wires were invisible except for the 2 feet of power cords. It ofcourse saved me running speaker wires from the receiver to the 4 surround speakers.
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Ref. MX cables, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 4-channel amps, Dayton Reference 7 inch midbass, Dayton 4 inch reference midrange and Dayton AMT Tweeters, Infinity Kappa 10 inch subwoofer
      Home Audio, 3-way active - Dune Media Player, Parasound DAC, Behringer 32-band equalizer, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, Dayton Audio 3-way tower speakers.

Audio Banned

Awesome

They need power, thy need wires, how are they wireless?
      The audio transmission is wireless not the power transmission.....

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

The only glitch is to find a power source for the receiver and I had no issues. However as the receivers were atop the surround speakers, the wires were invisible except for the 2 feet of power cords. It ofcourse saved me running speaker wires from the receiver to the 4 surround speakers.
      Thats the point, you find it more convenient to attach power input than audio input becasue the source is far away and speaker wiring wasn't thought off while building the house.

If speaker wires also would have been concealed through ceiling and walls like electricity wiring, there wouldn't have been need for considering wireless at all. I have got it done during renovation at my home. Even when I didn't have hidden wiring, I used to have wiring concealed through corners of ceiling and walls.

Audio setups are taken for granted during building constructions. You can find wiring provisions for power telephone, networking and many other things but no primary provisions for speaker wiring. Then again audio setups are taken for granted while buying equipments. Then placement of speakers and seating position are not given any importance.

The audio transmission is wireless not the power transmission.....
      One wire eliminated but another added. Marketing people are brilliant to make you buy a stuff costing Rs 1000 where a stuff worth Rs 100 can do the job.

Audio Banned

Awesome

to attach power input than audio input becasue the source is far away and speaker wiring wasn't thought off while building the house
      Guys like me who rent houses to live do not have that luxury

Awesome

Thats the point, you find it more convenient to attach power input than audio input becasue the source is far away and speaker wiring wasn't thought off while building the house.
      While I agree that it is not pure wireless. But has multiple power points in a room, so one can find a power point to which one can connect the rear speakers. But if we have to route TV cable. I have my own house, but I bought it in pre-built condition. Now, in most Indian houses the main TV sits in drawing room, but we do not like that concept at all, and for us the better option is the living area where one spends most time of the day. So we changed location of the TV to our living area. We built a cabinet, but we did not plan it properly as we were not well educated about TV setup and audio setup. Even the TV cable from dish is coming haphazardly from a hole in window nearby (we did not drill it, it was already there). Now if i have to setup a wires HT system, i would need to draw wires on surface (or even corners) to the rear, but these will be exposed at some places, and it won't look good. That is the reason I am looking for a wireless rear speakers setup. I had a carpet in living area earlier, but it is not so healthy to have carpets as these trap and keep dust, and I am not willing to put a carpet again in that area. So it is because of limitations that i have to go for wireless systems, though these cost significantly more than the wired setups for the same audio quality setup. if 5.1 does not workout, I might just get a 2.1 channel soundbar with a wireless subwoofer.

Audio Banned

Awesome

speed79 I have put my used Amphony wireless receiver/transmitter (with inbuilt amp) for sale. It can wirelessly power 2 surround speakers and i have two of these, so you can run 4 surrounds with them. If interested, ping me for more details.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information