• 250 KMs

1 8.33%
    • 400 KMs

3 25.00%
    • 550 KMs

4 33.33%
    • 700 KMs

4 33.33%

Thread: Consumer Opinion: What is your preferred range for Electric Car in India ?

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Not so cold winter days are
      here...

Secret

Consumer Opinion: What is your preferred range for Electric Car in India ?

Range = the KMs driven over one tankful (in case of fuel) or one charge (in case of electricity.

Cars running on Petrol or Diesel come with a range of 300-700 KMs range on one tankful.

100% Electric Vehicles by 2030 !!
      Above thread discusses whether EVs will be dominant by 2030 or not.

What is the typical range you would like to have in your electric car, if say Swift Electric is launched tomorrow ! Another assumption is you would have to charge the car at your home and would be driving it within the city during the initial years and over the period of time charging infrastructure would be developed which helps you to charge the car in say 30 minutes.

Thanks in advance for your opinion

Last edited by Nomad; 15th Sep 2016 at 21:13.

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Blog Entries
      No matter what the Charging capacity, we would charge it daily! Who wants to leave home with 50% mobile charge, which can work through the day.
      Why walk when you can run?

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

From a practicality perspective, I would like EV's with 400 kms range atleast. More is always better. Am sure future will always have store for improvements & innovations. One week of City drive or one weekend long drive one way in a single charge would be my preference. Because bigger the capacity requirement bigger the size of the battery would be & loosing practicality.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      One week of City drive or one weekend long drive one way in a single charge would be my preference.
      I am okay with 200-300 kms range if its a hybrid so that I don't have to worry about the range during my long drives. If not then it has to be atleast 800 kms (bare minimum for a day drive) becasue I use my car mostly for long drives.

Good cars take you to Point A
      to point B; Great cars, Well
      they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

400 kms range seems good. It will be enough for office duty for a fortnight on an average.
      Provided we get a good warranty and after sales support at least in city limits.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Its just like asking - how much of battery would you prefer in your phone? Would anyone say that they'll be happy with 2000 mAh? Or with 10000 mAh, knowing how bulky the phone will become (& expensive)?

Simple answer - as much as the manufacturer can provide? Also, check the price aspect. If we get a model with two variants - one with 200km range another with 500km range and price gap is twice as much with everything else same, I'd go for 200km range.

Its more of a technological advancement question than a consumer preference I guess!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Its just like asking - how much of battery would you prefer in your phone? Would anyone say that they'll be happy with 2000 mAh? Or with 10000 mAh, knowing how bulky the phone will become (& expensive)?

Simple answer - as much as the manufacturer can provide? Also, check the price aspect. If we get a model with two variants - one with 200km range another with 500km range and price gap is twice as much with everything else same, I'd go for 200km range.

Its more of a technological advancement question than a consumer preference I guess!
      You took words out of my keyboard!!!

In addition, I will buy a car as per todays charging infrastructure. Can't depend on 'if' for future of infra all over the country. So if I have to buy a car for highway today, it has to be petrol or diesel. If I have to buy a car for my daily office commute, i may consider electric with a range that can give me at least 5 times my daily usage, so that I may change it once or twice a week. So at present a range of 100 kms range is good enough for me. But the car has to be in reasonable price range as per the segment that it belongs to. I had once considered E2O, but the cost of about 8l did not make it a worthy buy. I might have bought an E2O at price of 4-5l, and nothing more than that.

Moreover, I know state of electricity in our country. My ancestral village in UP, just 80 kms from Delhi has power only few hours a day, and even then the voltage is very poor. If we had enough electricity in India, situation might not have been so bad. It's not a village in some interiors, but on a state highway. My father has set up a solar small power system for our house in village.

Also my home town in UP, which is a district centre and 50kms from delhi, there are pathetic power cuts, ranges up to 7-8 hours a day during the most needful days of summers. If all vehicles are supposed to be in with electricity, then where will we shall get all that electric power from? We need electricity before charging infra.
      --------------------------------------------
      2002 Hero Honda CBZ
      2004 Maruti Alto Lx
      2011 Tata Indica Vista Aqua
      2015 Tata Safari Storme Vx 4x4

Thread Information