• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Room Acoustics : Queries and Solutions

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Room Acoustics : Queries and Solutions

We don't seem to have any dedicated thread on room acoustic treatments so creating one here.

Room size in question is 12'X15'. HT is PC based. projector screen is 8' wide. Boston Acoustics A26 speakers are used as front left, right and center channels. Speakers have rear port. Both side speakers are put on desk with gap of around 15" from rear wall and around 25" from side walls.

Problem is center speaker. Its installed on front wall, above the projector screen without any gap between speaker and wall. no other option except this location. Gap between speaker and roof is also barely 2"-3". Seating position is also close to rear wall and can't make any drastic change in that either except a gap of around 12" between wall and sofa.

All this results into obvious annoying boom in the range around 200 hz (not measured). Tried closing the port of the center speaker but that also did not help, rather sound feels more restrained.

What are the options in above situation? Can any acoustical treatment help here? Any kind of panel can be put behind the speaker to reduce the boominess?

Heard about wedge shaped sound proofing foam panels which are not that expensive, are they really any effective in such situation? Any other treatment which can be looked at?
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 29th Sep 2016 at 12:22.

Looking for ....

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      rear port. Both side speakers are put on desk with gap of around 15" from rear wall and around 25" from side walls.
      Recommend 1.5 to 2 feet gap on the rear side and 3 foot gap on the side walls.

Also you may need sound absorbing materials to control reflections.
      Thanks & Regards
      Balavignesh Ramasamy

PIONEER DEX-P99RS | TCHERNOV SPECIAL IC MAKE II | FOCAL K2 POWER 165 KR COMPONENT HIGHS & LOWS | HAT LEGATIA L3 PRO MIDS | GERMAN MAESTRO 10" WIDE-BAND SUB WOOFER BRIAN B4 AMPLIFIER | BRIAN B 80 A VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Balavignesh Ram View Post
      Recommend 1.5 to 2 feet gap on the rear side and 3 foot gap on the side walls.
      Please read the post again, problem is not with the speakers you quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Balavignesh Ram View Post
      Also you may need sound absorbing materials to control reflections.
      I know thats why posted the query. Question is what type of treatment, where and how?
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 29th Sep 2016 at 12:56.

Audio Banned

Awesome

The center channel produces 60/70 % of the movie details....putting a rear ported speaker bang against the wall is a big no no...
      See if you can design a wall mounted stand to pull it out a foot from the wall. The stand has to be solid to take in the resonace. You can isloate the resonance from the body of the stand using some thick sponge material.
      Also tilt the speaker downwards to the listener's ears

Name:  41g7j-ErTnL._SL256_.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  9.0 KB

The other thing you could do is to put the center channel below the screen on a stand and tilt it upwards to the listener's ears.

Name:  center-channel-400.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  38.9 KB

You can use a couple of glasswool panels (easy to DIY) behind the speakers and also on the back wall if possible.
      ICE, 4-way active - Eclipse CD7200mkii Head Unit, Ref. MX cables, Kenwood KOS-300, Two Pioneer GM-X944 4-channel amps, Dayton Reference 7 inch midbass, Dayton 4 inch reference midrange and Dayton AMT Tweeters, Infinity Kappa 10 inch subwoofer
      Home Audio, 3-way active - Dune Media Player, Parasound DAC, Behringer 32-band equalizer, DBX 3-way analogue crossover, Dayton Audio 3-way tower speakers.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      You can use a couple of glasswool panels (easy to DIY) behind the speakers and also on the back wall if possible.
      How good wedge shaped and pyramid shaped foam panels are?

Does anyone have first hand experience with them?

Nautical Nonsense

Awesome

Can you try the center channel on a stool or chair and see if the peak goes off ?

Speaker closer to the wall will have a muted response rather than a peaking response in the lower frequencies . At higher frequencies it is different .

Settings also matter a bit and can you try the same settings without the sub connected or a little higher crossover frequency ? It is possible that the sub woofer filter might also be the culprit here . They are built for more boom than perfect sounding to impress

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by gkannan View Post
      put the center channel below the screen
      Quote Originally Posted by Ram Kumar View Post
      Can you try the center channel on a stool or chair and see if the peak goes off ?
      Changing speaker location is not at all an option due to some space constants. My center speakers always were at that location and probably will remain at there in future as well in this room. Maximum I can manage is install the speaker using some wall mount, that way gap of few inches can be managed, thats it.

Its not like the speaker sound is always booming, just that some low frequency dominant recordings or some of the male voices create trouble. I want to get rid of that.

Now onward my emphasize will be only on room acoustic treatments so want to understand right products suitable to my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Kumar View Post
      can you try the same settings without the sub connected or a little higher crossover frequency ?
      I used to have higher crossover setting with previous speakers but bass response of the current Bostons is very good so don't want to cut anything from them as long as desired result can be achieved using other options.

There was time I had trouble with sub-woofer but finally could manage to find out sweet spot after lot of trials and errors with tuning and change in location of sub. Hope I manage to achieve same with current issue.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 30th Sep 2016 at 00:04.

Nautical Nonsense

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      room acoustic treatments so want to understand right products suitable to my needs
      House needs a set of furnishings I think . Time to involve wife and give a budget to work on . Room acoustic treatment depends on the furniture , furninshings , carpets etc .I am guessing that there is only the rear sofa apart from the furniture to place the front speakers . Room acoustic treatment for a non -dedicated HT /Audio room is a bit of a problem . Populating the room with more furniture , furnishings , carpets is better . Acoustics treatment is costly . I can give you a few links of where you can find and evaluate materials for acoustics depending on your location . Last month we had this Cine expo in Chennai and I do have a few contacts for acoustics .

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Room is heavily furnished with wooden furniture, rather used glasswool in 9" wooden skirting. Had carpet also but later had to remove it due to cleaning related inconvenience. Room is relatively very silent at major portion of audible frequency range but I feel there is little more scope. Want to treat the 70-250 hz range which has peak at 90-100 hz freq when volume is cranked up.

Mainly its the center speaker location which has always been on top of projector screen adjacent to wall and always has been an issue. Can't relocate it.

There is a glass door also at right side which also must be causing some odd reflection issues. If the wedge or pyramid shaped foam panels are really effective then I can use them on the glass door also along with some other places.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 30th Sep 2016 at 12:19.

Thread Information