• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpeting car floor?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Carpeting car floor?

Nowadays many car owners go for the plastic floor carpeting, it is made of plastic like material and gives a spacoius feeling because of the beige colour. It is also easy to clean and prevents the car OEM floor carpet from getting dusty.

But these things are slippery and needs good grippy floor mats over them ,or else people slip when getting in/out.

1. Is it safe to do this modification?

2. are there mats to cover the whole carI(unlike the oem mat) floor.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sparkls View Post
      It is also easy to clean and prevents the car OEM floor carpet from getting dusty.
      These are made of cheap grade 'rexine'. For whom do you want to keep the OEM carpet clean? For the buyer who will buy your car when you will sell it? You spent a big sum of amount for the car so enjoy every bit of it at maximum.

But these things are slippery and needs good grippy floor mats over them ,or else people slip when getting in/out.
      You already mentioned the downsides of these rexine coverings

And believe me, they start looking very ugly after some time and ruin the upmarket feel the car gives with OEM carpet. Also the quality of the rexine material is very low grade and will lead into generating harmful gases when car is parked in the sun, will also smell bad.

The OEM carpet and other cloth lining also help in absorbing the fine dust particles and that functionality will also reduce if you install rexine covering over it.

OEM carpet also acts as sound absorber/damper.

Better to improve habits of being in the car. Usually these are food items which are major cause behind cars getting dirty. Avoid any kind of eating drinking inside car, afterall its a car, not a restaurant. If you allow eating inside car, you are not only inviting risk of getting the car dirty, but also putting open invitation for insects, rats, and bacteria. I have imposed ban for any kind of food item in my car, atleast not allowed to eat inside the car.

Another major problem is dirty shoes. It takes very little effort to flick the shoes couple of times to release any loose dirt or mud before entering the car.

Yeah, there are people who won't follow the good habits despite of your urge and for those, 3D/4D//5D floor mats are available in the market which are really helpful in reducing the risk of carpet getting dirty.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 3rd Oct 2016 at 12:12.

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

Nowadays many car owners go for the plastic floor carpeting, it is made of plastic like material and gives a spacoius feeling because of the beige colour. It is also easy to clean and prevents the car OEM floor carpet from getting dusty.

1. Is it safe to do this modification?

2. are there mats to cover the whole carI(unlike the oem mat) floor.
      Yes, they are quite safe.I believe the material is PVC. It comes in two color options. One is beige and the other is black. The primary purpose is that maintenance of the floor becomes quite easy. It costed me Rs 1800/- when I did for my Vista 4 years back.
      TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      And believe me, they start looking very ugly after some time and ruin the upmarket feel the car gives with OEM carpet. Also the quality of the rexine material is very low grade and will lead into generating harmful gases when car is parked in the sun, will also smell bad.
      Captain Sparrow - Agree that the mats become slippery. There might be some workaround to overcome that but I have never faced bad odor issue, even when parked under the sun for considerable period of time (>2 hours).
      TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

Awesome

Iam having carpeting in city and polo. Was done by people in the family. Now they want it to be done in crysta which is yet to be delivered. I use newspapers(3 sheets) above the mats, so chances of floor getting dirty is minimum. The paper collects all the sand,mud etc. But in the city no paper is used so the floor gets dirty with sand,mud,moisture during rainy days. But with carpeting the cleaning has become easy for the driver.

He is advising it to be done in crysta too. I fell the car should be in stock condition. So will go with 3d mats. What is the difference between 3d/4d/5d mats and suggest a good brand.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

What is the difference between 3d/4d/5d mats and suggest a good brand.
      5D mats will be better option. They have more raised sidewall and protect much more area. Search for Coozo 5D mats.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      5D mats will be better option. They have more raised sidewall and protect much more area. Search for Coozo 5D mats.
      Is nomad 3m mats better than 5d mats?

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

I would advise against the Vinyl carpeting. Though its marketed heavily as good the best & all, its slippery. Period. No mats on top it will stay in place.

3M Nomad mats are nothing but the noodles mat. Better to get from local dealers for 1/4th of the cost. If you're in Chennai, you can get that in Royapettah head straight in to Pycrofts road & when you go 200m you'll find a Police booth on your left. Just ahead of the police booth, there's a Noodles mat shop. A good quality noodles mat sells a Square Feet sells for 75 bucks or so. (Bargain hard he'll say 85-90 bucks depending on his mood). Take measurement approximately & get accordingly.

4D & 5D mats are the local replicas of 3D Maxspider mats. They're easy to use & based on availability they've snug fit versions.

If I were you, I would choose the Noodles mat from a cost & practicality perspective.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      4D & 5D mats are the local replicas of 3D Maxspider mats.
      No, 5D mats indeed have better sidewalls, rather have another dimension and cover much more area with better fitting. Though I can not comment on the quality since I haven't used any so far. I have Star 3D mats since I couldn't find 3D Maxspider when I bought and they can be said replica of 3D Maxspider with bit lower quality material but at much lesser price point.

Look at the image of 5D mats:

Source

If I am in the market today, I would buy 5D mats, rather thinking about replacing my old 3D mats with 5D ones. Decent quality 3D/5D mats can serve for years. mine Star 3D mats have served me for well over 5 years and still are in fine condition except a bulge on upper layer on driver side mat.

As Lvramanan suggested, look at local stores for noodle mats.

Noodle mats are cost effective solution but they don't look upmarket, neither provide any protection to carpet at sidewalls. Better to buy something like noodle mats and occasionally use them over existing 3D/5D mats when you are traveling a lot with more people in mixed kind of weather conditions or in rainy weather when the chances of getting interiors dirty are more than usual scenario.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 26th Oct 2016 at 21:34.

Brio SMT

Secret

Wow Definitely looks nice but how about longevity, maintenance . I am using normal transparent mats which I like as it is rubber and easy to clean.

These cannot be clean with soap water, right ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information