• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Importing my Merc

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Importing my Merc

HI Guys - I am new to this forum.

I live in the UK and going to relocate to Delhi shortly. I currently drive a Merc E class (bought in 2010) and still in a very good condition. I am hearing mixed views about taking my car to India and selling a new one after I move there.

It'll be great if you can share your views on how much will I have to pay to get the car out of the port (so thats not including the shipping cost) and what hassles I'll have to go through.

Regards, Ravi

Cars are Life

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Ravi24 View Post
      HI Guys - I am new to this forum.

I live in the UK and going to relocate to Delhi shortly. I currently drive a Merc E class (bought in 2010) and still in a very good condition. I am hearing mixed views about taking my car to India and selling a new one after I move there.

It'll be great if you can share your views on how much will I have to pay to get the car out of the port (so thats not including the shipping cost) and what hassles I'll have to go through.

Regards, Ravi
      Easy. Don't move You're at London. And you have a Merc. Why come to India?!

On a more serious note, I am not aware of the percentage of taxation and formalities required.
      However I am sure that the amount you will pay as tax will outweigh the cost of the car (You also need to factor in the re-sale value).

Do you plan to move back to the UK within a few years?

And MOST importantly, if it's a diesel and you have no plans on moving back to the UK, don't go through all this hassle.
      2003 Hyundai Santro Zip Plus LS - 101,000 kms
      2015 Maruti Suzuki Ritz LDi - 86,000 kms
      2015 Honda City iVtec V - 12,000 kms

Awesome

HI Anand - Thanks for your response. Any idea on fees and taxes will be useful.

Also, yes I am not planning to move back and its interesting to know why you are suggesting to drop this idea if its a Diesel, which mine is. Can you shed some light

Secret

why you are suggesting to drop this idea if its a Diesel, which mine is. Can you shed some light
      There are on and off Knee Jerk actions of banning the use of 2000cc or higher capacity Diesel engines within Delhi.
      There is also another issue of De-Registering Diesel vehicles older than 15 years. (This is not an immediate concern for you, but eventually it would be one.)

Global Moderator
      At wits end with Safari's
      auto-correct!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Given the time and costs involved it will be cheaper for you to pick up a similar used model here.

For charges you can refer sites like Importing Car to India by NRI | Take used car to India and here is a calculator (pls check with a certified customs clearing agent for current rates) https://www.dutycalculator.com/new-i...ils/213647563/

you will have to add cost of registration and life tax to this - a car with a CIF of 20lac will easily cost you about 60-70 by the time you are thru with all this!
      A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Brio SMT

Secret

I am not sure it is worth it to import car to India. Some celebs and people do get imported cars but ideally it is better to get a car here instead.

Awesome

Tx guys - very useful

Awesome

As per NGT Delhi Government banned Diesel vehicles having more than 10 years life. Yours is already 6 years old.Think twice is it financially viable to import to run for 4 more years.

Cars are Life

Hungry

HI Anand - Thanks for your response. Any idea on fees and taxes will be useful.

Also, yes I am not planning to move back and its interesting to know why you are suggesting to drop this idea if its a Diesel, which mine is. Can you shed some light
      No clue about the fees and taxes. You could try and google. If you want, I could share the number of at least three RTO agents.

Since our Government loves to ban things at its whim and fancy (not referring to the 500/1000 note ban because this is the only ban that makes sense to me)... the Delhi Government has banned diesel engine cars which are above ten years old. There is absolutely no logic to it since the people behind such sudden decisions are uneducated and filthy. Anyway I need to control now

So they have started with getting diesel cars above 15 years of age off the streets. Once they would be satisfied, they will target those between 10 & 15 years.

Even though new cars are extremely overpriced in India, it's better you sell yours in the UK and buy a new one in India.
      My friend recently moved back to India. He had an Audi Q5 there. Poor guy bought himself an Ecosport here.
      2003 Hyundai Santro Zip Plus LS - 101,000 kms
      2015 Maruti Suzuki Ritz LDi - 86,000 kms
      2015 Honda City iVtec V - 12,000 kms

Thread Information