• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Hard gear shift from 2nd to 1st gear

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Hard gear shift from 2nd to 1st gear

In my 2007 Honda civic, i observe that while driving down shifting from second to first gear has some resistance, e.g. between 15-20kmph speed. Down shifting is smooth when speed is very slow (e.g. 5-7 kmph), or if i rev engine a bit. Is this normal with cars? Or this can be transmission oil issue? (i don't suspect clutch, it's still going strong and was replaced recently)

Car odo- 1.3 lakh km, upshifting from first to second not problem, issue with only downshifting from second to first gear.
      Last edited by techcoze; 25th Dec 2016 at 11:51.

Brio SMT

Secret

Make sure car is in complete stand still when doing 1st or reverse. Preferably wait a sec or 2 as well. I think this is normal for all cars

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KimiRaikkonen View Post
      Make sure car is in complete stand still when doing 1st or reverse. Preferably wait a sec or 2 as well. I think this is normal for all cars
      Then how do you handle bumper to bumper traffic with speed of 5-15kmph? Especially with civic which has less low end torque. Do you also use civic?

Sent from Tapatalk

Brio SMT

Secret

No I do not have Honda Civic. I usually use 2nd gear but have to use lot of clutch and make sure revs are enough not to stall the car. It is not ideal but I usually prefer this over 1st gear. I do stall it every now and then in 2nd gear though 1st gear in my car is pretty bad and use it only in extreme traffic, u-turn, uphill slope. If your car 1st gear is decent then you can go for it and upshift to 2nd when comfortable. It depends on the car and your convenience.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Stop shifting into first gear at those speeds unless you want to destroy the gearbox completely.
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Zapco.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      Stop shifting into first gear at those speeds unless you want to destroy the gearbox completely.
      I guess i need to change my driving style, looks like i have been trying incorrect gear shifting patterns.

Yo he cambiado

Secret

In Dzire, while in bumper to bumper traffic, I prefer to switch to first gear and use only Accelerator to modulate speed. The clutch and brake use is minimal but not absent. This is for speeds up to 15 kmph.

And when I face resistance while downshifting to first gear, I don't downshift.

Not sure if this is correct driving style.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Unless you are doing less than 8kmph or almost at a standstill, DON'T try to shift into 1st gear AT ANY COST. You will ruin the synchros and eventually the gearbox will start acting up and a gearbox rebuild won't be cheap.

If you are in bumper to bumper traffic, just use the clutch if in 2nd gear till the speeds are nearly at stand still. Then once you are near to a dead stop shift the gear into 1st ensuring there is ZERO RESISTANCE while slotting the gear level into 1st gear. If you see any resistance, lower your speed, come to a standstill, take the gear level back to neutral or shift it back into 2nd and then try shifting into 1st again.

While it is perfectly okay to drive in 1st gear till redline or to even drive along in 1st gear if you are in B2B traffic for even kms without shifting into 2nd gear, what is absolute not okay is to shift from a higher gear to a lower gear without rev matching.
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Zapco.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      Unless you are doing less than 8kmph or almost at a standstill, DON'T try to shift into 1st gear AT ANY COST. You will ruin the synchros and eventually the gearbox will start acting up and a gearbox rebuild won't be cheap.

If you are in bumper to bumper traffic, just use the clutch if in 2nd gear till the speeds are nearly at stand still. Then once you are near to a dead stop shift the gear into 1st ensuring there is ZERO RESISTANCE while slotting the gear level into 1st gear. If you see any resistance, lower your speed, come to a standstill, take the gear level back to neutral or shift it back into 2nd and then try shifting into 1st again.

While it is perfectly okay to drive in 1st gear till redline or to even drive along in 1st gear if you are in B2B traffic for even kms without shifting into 2nd gear, what is absolute not okay is to shift from a higher gear to a lower gear without rev matching.
      Spot on! This is what I see is perfect way of downshifting..

Sent from Tapatalk

Brio SMT

Secret

Last Sunday there was extreme slow traffic in delhi. There I used the first gear. But anything over 5km the 1st gear is total useless for me. The transmission hates it. It is like heavy engine braking like going down the slope so mostly I prefer second gear

Thread Information