• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Does CMC over lubrication cause problem?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Does CMC over lubrication cause problem?

Hello friends,

Since last 1 year my Civic clutch master cylinder has been creaking / clicking regularly. I have been using temporary remedy of white lithium grease spray heavy dose into CMC (as suggested on many forums).
      This solves problem for approx 1-2 months, and i have to re-grease again. Will excessive/periodic use of white lithium spray inside CMC cause any problems?
      Will CMC fail?
      will grease enter into clutch fluid? I assume CMC is sealed assembly inside and lube grease should not enter clutch oil, am I wrong?

Note: there is no clutch oil leak anywhere.

P.S. I understand as permanent solution i need to replace CMC, planning to do it after a year or two, right now right on budget for other imp car maintenance

Nautical Nonsense

Awesome

If there is no oil leak , I suggest that you try to get a clutch repair kit . It is basically a piston , valve , spring and seal in the kit . It should be cheap , but I doubt if the kit is avaliable in India . Probably you can try amazon or ebay . I do not have much info on the civic but I think it is the Asian spec one .

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
      I have been using temporary remedy of white lithium grease spray heavy dose into CMC (as suggested on many forums).
      If the grease has entered the clutch master cylinder, your seals are shot and you will need to replace them. If you have a common fluid reservoir for both the clutch and brakes like in my car, you might have to spend big time to replace all seals in your braking system. Oil should never come in contact with brake/clutch rubber seals or fluids.
      Where did you read about greasing rubber seals with grease?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Indian View Post
      If the grease has entered the clutch master cylinder, your seals are shot and you will need to replace them. If you have a common fluid reservoir for both the clutch and brakes like in my car, you might have to spend big time to replace all seals in your braking system. Oil should never come in contact with brake/clutch rubber seals or fluids.
      Where did you read about greasing rubber seals with grease?
      Isn't CMC rod lubrication standard procedure used with authorized service centers as well? Mostly they use WD40 or rustoff, but based on many posts on 8thcivic.com, white lithium grease is better.
      DIY: Fix Squeaking Clutch - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Or am i doing something wrong?

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
      DIY: Fix Squeaking Clutch - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum
      I dont think the original poster has much knowledge of braking systems when he pumps lithium grease into the rubber dust boot on a hydraulic cylinder in a car. Grease and oils does not mix with brake fluids and seals.
      These is something called brake grease that is used to lubricate brake seals. This could have been used safely on the internal components of the cylinder or even silicon grease.
      If you have a common fluid reservoir for both the clutch and brake system, you should start to think about flushing the system and replacing all the seals in your braking system, Master/wheel cylinders and the seals in the front brake caliper.
      Would you have used coconut oil if he had?

Thread Information