Thread: My Indian Italian Jet...FIAT Linea Tjet

Good cars take you to Point A
      to point B; Great cars, Well
      they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

My Indian Italian Jet...FIAT Linea Tjet

Hey Guys,
      So I have been part of this wonderful forum since a couple of years now, and it was high time to pen down something in this section and what better than 3rd anniversary of my Tjet. Christened as Supernova.

As this is my first ownership review, so kindly ignore an amateur.
      I booked a "Linea T-Jet Emotion" Oceanic Blue color from Pandit Auto, Pune(now defunct)on 16th December 2013. Delivery happened on 4th Jan 14.

Now, why Fiat/why Linea/why TJet(Petrol Car)? I will try to explain by giving some background.

I thought of owning car since I was a little kid (like many other kids). I wasn't aware about the price and other details required to own them(especially Vitamin M).

Time passed and when I was in 7th Standard, father decided to surprise us and bought a M800 in Bhopal in Milky white color from Jeewan motors . Yes, he broke news after booking it. Month long waiting period was quoted and it was delivered after that. 800 is still serving us. As a result, I was a very happy kid who used to sit in the parked vehicle once dad came from office .

Year 2003 - Then came an Indica Petrol in Bhilai- CG (earlier ones which comes with 1.4l Mpfi engine churning 75hp). Its also serving us till now. Had done many longs trips in it. This was readily available and took it home the same day. Delivery was done even before the loan was sanctioned.

FastForward to 2008, I graduated and joined a software firm in Pune. Since then i was thinking of buying a vehicle, but somehow it never got materialised mostly due to my parents who always stopped me saying - "we have 2 vehicles already, why do you need one"? I thought yes, one MP and other CG registered and we are living in MH.

Nevertheless I always visited various showrooms in the city once in a while to test drive the newly launched vehicles.

When I initially came to Pune in 09, I used to see many Puntos and Lineas doing test run in city. They both look absolutely ravishing in their camouflaged/striped look and since then i had a soft corner for both of them.

As the year passed my urge to buy car getting increased. I initially thought of buying a Safari Dicor which was my dream vehicle since its launch in 98. But higher variants were out of budget and lower were not having any safety features.

I seriously started looking for vehicle in Mid 2013 and test drove all vehicles between price range 6-11 lac that includes Dzire, Etios, Vento,Verna, Linea, Safari, Duster, etc. This time somehow my parents surrendered to my thoughts.

I didnt have any specific requirement from my vehicle apart from that it should be beautiful, safe, value for money and feature-rich. I was open for hatchback/sedan/SUV/MUV/Compact SUV/Compact sedan. Even fuel choice was also not the deterrent.

Linea fills the bill perfectly as it was and is beautiful, safe, value for money and feature-rich. Further, its a hoot to drive. Low sales of FIAT gave a niche appeal to Linea more accentauted in OB Color Tjet specced.
      The first test drive from Fiat caffe in July 13 further cemented my thoughts. This was the only car in the sea of cars which I test drove which brought a smile in my face while test driving.

Below are few positives and negatives of the vehicles which I test-drove.
      Please note that this is my personal opinion.

Maruti Dzire
      +ve - Value for money, feature rich.
      -ve - Awkard rear look , obviously not a full fledged sedan

Maruti Ertiga
      +ve - Value for money, practical seating for 7.
      -ve - Not exactly feature rich(ACC missing), not liked by wife.

Maruti SX4
      +ve - Apart from maruti reliablity, I didnt find any.
      -ve - Dated design.

Hyundai i20
      +ve - feature rich, good looking, , Hyundai reliablity.
      -ve - Ride and handling, not liked by wife.

Hyundai Verna
      +ve - long list of features, Good Looks, Hyundai reliablity.
      -ve - Apart from ride and handling issues, I didnt find any flaw in it.

Tata Safari Dicor
      +ve - Cult status, comfort, rugged looks and King of road feeling comes free!!
      -ve - Niggling issues more pronounced by incompetent TASS as reported in various forums plus only LX model was with in my budget which had absolutely zero safety features(missing ABS and Airbags).

Tata Safari Storme
      +ve - Refined Safari, rugged looks.
      -ve - It was way out of my budget. Lx was costing upwards of 12lac onroad.

Tata Aria
      +ve - Feature Rich, very very spacious.
      -ve - Reliablity issues, way out of my budget.

Honda city
      +ve - Brand Value, engine.
      -ve - Badly feature skimped vehicle. 1 million Rs worth car doesnt have ACC, CD/MP3 player, full fledged MID, frustrating!!

Honda Amaze
      +ve - Fuel efficient Engines, spacious for its size.
      -ve - Badly feature skimped vehicle, spartan interiors

Toyota Etios
      +ve - Fuel efficient engine, value for money.
      -ve - Felt cheap when I sat inside , right from the fabrics , sheet metal, parts used, etc.

VW Vento
      +ve - Diesel engine is too good, feature rich, brand value.
      -ve - Uninspiring Petrol, diesel out of budget, Higher maintenance cost of VW's.

Skoda Rapid
      Sales guy was uninterested to sell rapid. So cant comment

Nissan Sunny
      +ve - Fuel efficient and reliable diesel engine, value for money.
      -ve - Spartan interiors, dull and inspiring.

Renault Scala
      Its same as sunny.

Renault Duster
      +ve - Fuel efficient and reliable diesel engine, rugged looks and presence
      -ve - Out of my budget.

Ford EcoSport
      +ve - Looks as if came from Jupiter. Endless list of features, rugged stance and dollops of presence.
      -ve - Not at all value for money with recent price hike; as per my view. Long waiting list.

Ford Fiesta
      +ve - Looks, Features, Ride and handling.
      -ve - Vehicle not available for selling.

Fiat Linea
      +ve - Good looks, Good looks and more good looks, fuel efficient diesel and fun to drive and powerful Petrol(TJet), features list which is endless, ride and handling, value for money, most importantly bang in my budget and many more.
      -ve - Does it matter now!

I always loved Linea, plus 2013 version came with SUVish ground clearance so that also help to use vehicle as a SUV when required in our roads and fuel type was never a deterrent, so went ahead and booked a TJet in the month of july with same spec as quoted above. But, may be, that was not my time, I had to cancel my booking due to some unavoidable reason .
      Come December13, things were sorted by now a bit, so took the plunge again and booked a Tjet again. As i had already test drove all the models , went straight to Pandit Auto and booked the vehicle.

Booking and delivery experience was hassle free. Vehicle is November 13 manufactured with last 3 digits as LKZ.

Well, that was quite long. Below are few pics of PDI and delivery which I took at showroom. All are cellphone clicks.

First look on one of the last days of year 2013!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	223905

Name:	fstlook.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	223906

Name:	back.jpg 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	223910

Name:	grill.jpg 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	223907

D-Day pic taken from Galaxy S4. Rest all are from various generations of iPhones

Name:	lineaDel.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	223908

Name:	int.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	223909

Bhimashankar trip - April 2014

Name:	bhimshankar.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	208.9 KB 
ID:	223912

Fresh from 3M - Navi Mumbai. April 2015

Name:	2015.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	318.1 KB 
ID:	223911

3M Navi Mumbai - August 2016

Name:	IMG_4412.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	223913

As on 4th January 2017. This is a watsapp forwarded pic from my faher. So quality will further be low. You can see our Indica acting as a peeping tom in this pic

Name:	lat1.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	223914

Name:	lat2.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	223915

Supernova has crossed 25K odd kms as of now. Ownership is quite hassle free till now. It has completed 4th service till date and is completely stock.
      I out of country since last couple of years and hence, my father is maintaining it.
      If you are still reading, you people are very nice

Will try to update this thread regularly. Thats all for now!

they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

Hi Guys,
      Updating the thread after quite a long time. I was on a vacation to India in last month and got to drive my Jet.
      There are quite a few updates and few of them are unfortunates ones as well.

First thing first; It still drives like a dream and looks like a million bucks!
      It has clocked 28K kms in 3.5 years of ownership without any fuss.

Jet has changed its base now to Raipur, Chhattisgarh for few months as my parents have moved from Navi Mumbai to Raipur (full and final). I drove it all the way to Raipur from Mumbai last month with a wide grin plastered on my face. Roads were immaculate for the entire 1K plus journey. Added bonus of zero toll till Amravati, MH was another revelation in itself.

I will bring it back to Pune once I am back to India which will happen sooner than later.

Regarding the unfortunate part, Jet was encountered with an accident sometime in February in Pune which lead to denting/painting of bumper, bonnet and replacement of radiator. The only FASS, Sky moto was considered as it was near and my father had no choice. As expected Sky Moto did a shabby paint job. Saving grace is that mechanically supernova is as fit as it was earlier. Moreover, all occupants in the jet were like noting happened. Scratch less. The jet was full with 4 adults and a kid.

Total repair work costed around 50-60K rupees for which insurance was claimed. I will get the bumper repainted later again once I am back in India.

I have taken lots of pics of supernova during my India visit which I will share later.

Happy Driving!

they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

Smile

Hi guys, sharing few pics en-route Raipur from Pune which I took during my India vacation in June end.

Breakfast stop at Vitthal kamat, Nagar highway.

Name:	IMG_2981.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	227264

Dinner stop at outskirts of Nagpur. Mumbai Kolkata highway. This hotel is quite famous. From this area, it starts feeling like we are home. Home was around 200 kms from here.

Name:	IMG_2984.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	227263

Supernova parked at Rabdiwala.

Name:	IMG_2983.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	227262

Figure of Vital stats taken next day.

Name:	IMG_2986.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	227265

Name:	IMG_2987.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	227266

Name:	IMG_2988.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	227267

Name:	IMG_2989.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	227268

they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

Hi guys,

I am back to India and first thing on my agenda was to replace the awful NCT's. They were puncture magnets. Not sure whether the ones on mine were having trouble or in general Goodyear Eagle NCT are prone to punctures. So I changed the tyres on my supernova at around 29K kms.(Was so fed up that I didn't even waited for the 30K milestone)

Straight away installed the Michelins. They are primacy 3ST with 'W' ratings. OEM's were 'V'. There is a sea of change witnessed after that. Ride is silent, plush and no punctures in the last 3-4K kms I have driven.

These tyres are complimenting Linea's ride quality. Total cost for the tyres were 36.5K rupees.

Happy riding!

Thread Information