• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: VW Vento TSi comes home

Need more power

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post
      Since you upsized the tyres there is now more volume of air. So the air needs to be at less pressure for the same load. There was a table which maps pressure and tyre size. I will try to fish it. But, generally since your tyre is now a bit bigger, try 1 or 2 psi less than the company specified. That should take care of bouncing.
      That's interesting info, do let me know if you find it. I may change it to 35/32 tomorrow and try.

Quote Originally Posted by bakumar View Post
      Bilsteins would make a big difference to the handling. All the best.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk
      I hope so. Otherwise, I have a 15L rupee white elephant

I changed tire pressure to 36/33 today and it drove so much better in the city at low speeds.
      Took it out on the highway for a short 50km run and the bouncing is plain scary. I usually drove that highway upwards of 140KMPH in my old car but with Vento I get scared at 120. I am still not able to understand if a SOFT suspension serves any purpose as it travels at any speed and will cause body fatigue, body roll and other discomfort.

I do realize there are a few things I need to get used to and they may grow on me over time:

1. Tyres: Continental MC5 is definitely a downgrade from my previous wheels Michelin Primacy. Continentals have tyre noise and which is absent on Michelins. But it's a good upgrade from the stock MRF types for sure.
      2. Car Weight: VW is lighter than Fiat by a huge margin. On top of that, a petrol engine is lighter than a diesel. Hence, I need to get used to a lighter weight vehicle.
      3. Suspension: I drove a stiff setup for 5 years so anything else now would have caused some discomfort. I am assuming Bento is still not as bad as the previous generation Verna that was notorious for the 'Boat Suspension'. I do feel VW could have done better but after markets like Bilstein are available and I believe a lot of Vento/Polo owners are switching to those.
      4. Brakes: Either Fiat had best in class brakes or Vento needs to do significantly better. I am going to look into After market options there soon.

In the end, I think enthusiasts like us ask so much more out of any car that perfection can only come from installing a few after market options. Some cars need better suspension, some better brakes, some better gearboxes and so forth. So I am still hopeful I can turn this machine into something really enjoyable.
      Last edited by TurboTurbo; 27th Sep 2017 at 13:15.

GT Power!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurbo View Post
      That's interesting info, do let me know if you find it. I may change it to 35/32 tomorrow and try.

Check this out https://toyo-arhxo0vh6d1oh9i0c.stack...s_20170203.pdf
      Thanks,
      Ragesh G R
      ---------------------------------------
      2015 Volkswagen Polo GT TSI
      2014 TVS Wego
      2007 Hyundai Santro Xing XL AT
      2002 TVS Scooty
      1989 Kawasaki Bajaj KB 100 RTZ

LIVE to DRIVE

Awesome

I hope so. Otherwise, I have a 15L rupee white elephant

I changed tire pressure to 36/33 today and it drove so much better in the city at low speeds.
      Took it out on the highway for a short 50km run and the bouncing is plain scary. I usually drove that highway upwards of 140KMPH in my old car but with Vento I get scared at 120. I am still not able to understand if a SOFT suspension serves any purpose as it travels at any speed and will cause body fatigue, body roll and other discomfort.

I do realize there are a few things I need to get used to and they may grow on me over time:

1. Tyres: Continental MC5 is definitely a downgrade from my previous wheels Michelin Primacy. Continentals have tyre noise and which is absent on Michelins. But it's a good upgrade from the stock MRF types for sure.
      2. Car Weight: VW is lighter than Fiat by a huge margin. On top of that, a petrol engine is lighter than a diesel. Hence, I need to get used to a lighter weight vehicle.
      3. Suspension: I drove a stiff setup for 5 years so anything else now would have caused some discomfort. I am assuming Bento is still not as bad as the previous generation Verna that was notorious for the 'Boat Suspension'. I do feel VW could have done better but after markets like Bilstein are available and I believe a lot of Vento/Polo owners are switching to those.
      4. Brakes: Either Fiat had best in class brakes or Vento needs to do significantly better. I am going to look into After market options there soon.

In the end, I think enthusiasts like us ask so much more out of any car that perfection can only come from installing a few after market options. Some cars need better suspension, some better brakes, some better gearboxes and so forth. So I am still hopeful I can turn this machine into something really enjoyable.
      Since your original tyre was 195/55R16, changing to 205/55R16 has increased the side wall height and overall the car stands taller than the original setup.

As the tyre wall height increases so does the bouncing/wallowing/boat effect. So as go for a broader tyre you should ideally choose a lesser side profile. In your case 205/50R16 should've been considered..

Continental MC 5 is equally good to Michelin Primacy in terms of overall performance.

I'm currently running Michelin Primacy. This has a soft tyre wall and has quite some flex compared to the Yokohamas I was using earlier. The Primacy is marginally quieter than the MC 5 but in the overall performance considering cornering, Braking, wet and dry performance, MC 5 is marginally better because of its big block pattern on the outer side.

You could consider either EBC green metallic pads or Brembo after market which are good for street performance and also both have recently setup dealerships in India.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Tapatalk

Need more power

Awesome

An update is due so here goes:

Transmission, Gearbox: Rating 10/10. I think this is the USP of this car. It is pure magic! The shifts are lightning fast, the magic is the launch from standstill. Unlike a CVT, you can 'feel' the shifts and they are very real.
      However, what is the best way to clock the fastest 0-100? Is it the S Mode or the D Mode? I noticed that the D mode tends to redline each gear to max RPM, unless you release the throttle very briefly. It feels like S mode so would does the actual S mode do in that case? Do I reach 100kmph fastest if I just put the pedal to the metal or is there another trick to achieve this?

Suspension: Rating 4/10. The rear passengers seem to enjoy the comfort a lot. Soaks up a lot of undulations on low speeds. My 3 year old son figured it's imperfect & asked me what's wrong with the car constantly moving either sideways or up and down or scraping. Worst element of this car and the person in charge of this decision at VW India deserves a punch in the face.
      So I managed to complete 700Km on the odo in the last one week since I returned from Dubai. Managed to sell off my Punto also, so the Vento is now my daily driver. My office is in a remote area in Hoskote so the Vento is technically doing a terrain that belongs to the Tiguan or Tourareg. There are hardly any roads, very deep potholes and speed bumps that surprise you. The Punto had massive GC and stiff suspension so it never scraped anywhere but with the Vento, I scraped front twice and rear once. It certainly needs better suspension and while I will upgrade to Bilstein B6 if I decide to keep the car, I wonder how could VW get it so wrong with an otherwise lovely car? I wouldn't mind paying 16L OTR instead of the 15L I paid, if they could offer a suspension it deserves.

Lights: Rating 9/10
      The 'White' headlights are soooo much better than the usual yellow. The high beam lights up the entire neighborhood. The DRL's get you plenty of attention and they do look good. Parking lights are helpful at least in a crowded city like Bangalore. Fog Lights, I have not been able to figure as the knob does not turn towards those

Ergonomics, Seating, Comfort: Rating 8/10
      Definitely a much better driving position than the Fiats. Seat is not great quality, causes back pain on long drives coupled with the water bed suspension. The seat can be adjusted horizontally and the backrest can be adjusted in terms of incline. Not sure if the seat height can be adjusted. Barring the seat quality, the ergonomics are near perfect.

Brakes: Rating 7/10. The car takes longer than a Fiat to come to a standstill. Add to that, the fact that this car is way faster than most on our roads. I have at least one moment of "oh s**t!" once a day, wherein I feel it's going to ram into the car in front of me. Can be upgraded to better quality brakes for a small amount of money.

Creature Comforts: Rating 9/10. The leather seats are real leather. The steering wrap as well. The attention to detail is immaculate. The glove box is cooled. Rain sensing wipers are almost magical. It's like they have a mind of their own. The windscreen washer tank has a filter on top, helps only clean water go into the tank. The lights including DRLs, Headlights, Parking Lights, Indicators, Footwell Lights, Come Home Lights, Leave Home Lights are all very good stuff.

Air Conditioner: Rating 4/10. It is LOUDDD! No matter what setting you use. It is also not as efficient at cooling as the Fiats. That is my benchmark as I don't have another reference to compare. Loud, inefficient and cheap.

Sound/Music System: Rating 6/10. Average sound quality. Not much to say. Apparently, Apple Car Play now works, need to upgrade the software. Bluetooth works well for calls and navigation. Music plays only if USB is connected or maybe I haven't figured it out out. Something called Mirror Link is available for the android phones, useless for me though.

Upgrades required: Rating 5/10. The stock car has several low quality parts that need to be replaced with better quality ones. Cost cutting is evident.
      Upgrades planned if I still have the car in Dec 2017: Bilstein B6 & Polo Springs for suspension, Yet to decide brand of Brakes, yet to decide Steering wheel with Paddle Shifters and possibly a Hydraulic unit. No, I am kidding. Hydraulic is what this car deserves but it's not possible as it will require a million things to be changed.

A few questions & request to others:

Other cars on road: Barring others cars in the VAG family (Octavia, Octavia RS, Jetta etc.), the Vento is constantly overtaking almost everybody on the road. All of this happens even without trying or any kind of need to show off. I think it is more relevant to India where we need to slow down very often for the speed bump, signal, cow, dog, pedestrian, two wheeler and the Karnataka special humans who show you their palm as a superpower to stop cars while they cross the road. Everytime the traffic comes to a halt, this car takes off like a rocket and others are just trying to figure out what just happened. Maybe the guy has NOS. Beautiful engine, beautiful transmission. I can safely say it would be hard to buy a car without this combination in future. Everytime I floor it, the engine note is pure music.

The dangerous side staying ahead of others: People assume I am trying to race with them. The assumption seems too affect people in cars like Swift, Baleno and Ciaz more than others. No disrespect to the owners but a note of caution. The TSi/TFSi cars are designed to be very fast from a standstill and consequently they are ahead of most cars, most of the time. We are not trying to race with you on highways. The non Turbo Petrols need to stop trying to push their cars and stop endangering the lives of people in their cars and our cars. I had a Rapid TDi that took offense today that I zipped past him in the blink of an eye. Thing is, each car has it's strength and diesels offer phenomenal torque that is to be enjoyed differently. I love a Vento TDi for example. Here is a way to tell if you are endangering people's lives - if you are struggling and pushing your car to it's limits to take over a car particularly ahead of you; it's time for a reality check. I don't take offense that the 1.4 manual octavia TFSi just went by like a flash of lightning. I know the limitations of my car. Should I risk my life, the life of people in my car and the lives of people in the Octavia by trying to overtake him at any cost? No, thank you.

Cruise Control: I am still reading the owner's manual, it's difficult to read as it is mix of generic info across VW cars and some specific to the Vento. Anyway, is there Cruise Control and if so, where is it?
      Last edited by TurboTurbo; 7th Oct 2017 at 00:05. Reason: Formatting

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

You need to pull the headlamp switch out (towards you) to activate the front fog lamps on the first click and rear on the second.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Brio SMT

Secret

An update is due so here goes:

Transmission, Gearbox: Rating 10/10. I think this is the USP of this car. It is pure magic! The shifts are lightning fast, the magic is the launch from standstill. Unlike a CVT, you can 'feel' the shifts and they are very real.
      However, what is the best way to clock the fastest 0-100? Is it the S Mode or the D Mode? I noticed that the D mode tends to redline each gear to max RPM, unless you release the throttle very briefly. It feels like S mode so would does the actual S mode do in that case? Do I reach 100kmph fastest if I just put the pedal to the metal or is there another trick to achieve this?

Suspension: Rating 4/10. The rear passengers seem to enjoy the comfort a lot. Soaks up a lot of undulations on low speeds. My 3 year old son figured it's imperfect & asked me what's wrong with the car constantly moving either sideways or up and down or scraping. Worst element of this car and the person in charge of this decision at VW India deserves a punch in the face.
      So I managed to complete 700Km on the odo in the last one week since I returned from Dubai. Managed to sell off my Punto also, so the Vento is now my daily driver. My office is in a remote area in Hoskote so the Vento is technically doing a terrain that belongs to the Tiguan or Tourareg. There are hardly any roads, very deep potholes and speed bumps that surprise you. The Punto had massive GC and stiff suspension so it never scraped anywhere but with the Vento, I scraped front twice and rear once. It certainly needs better suspension and while I will upgrade to Bilstein B6 if I decide to keep the car, I wonder how could VW get it so wrong with an otherwise lovely car? I wouldn't mind paying 16L OTR instead of the 15L I paid, if they could offer a suspension it deserves.

Lights: Rating 9/10
      The 'White' headlights are soooo much better than the usual yellow. The high beam lights up the entire neighborhood. The DRL's get you plenty of attention and they do look good. Parking lights are helpful at least in a crowded city like Bangalore. Fog Lights, I have not been able to figure as the knob does not turn towards those

Ergonomics, Seating, Comfort: Rating 8/10
      Definitely a much better driving position than the Fiats. Seat is not great quality, causes back pain on long drives coupled with the water bed suspension. The seat can be adjusted horizontally and the backrest can be adjusted in terms of incline. Not sure if the seat height can be adjusted. Barring the seat quality, the ergonomics are near perfect.

Brakes: Rating 7/10. The car takes longer than a Fiat to come to a standstill. Add to that, the fact that this car is way faster than most on our roads. I have at least one moment of "oh s**t!" once a day, wherein I feel it's going to ram into the car in front of me. Can be upgraded to better quality brakes for a small amount of money.

Creature Comforts: Rating 9/10. The leather seats are real leather. The steering wrap as well. The attention to detail is immaculate. The glove box is cooled. Rain sensing wipers are almost magical. It's like they have a mind of their own. The windscreen washer tank has a filter on top, helps only clean water go into the tank. The lights including DRLs, Headlights, Parking Lights, Indicators, Footwell Lights, Come Home Lights, Leave Home Lights are all very good stuff.

Air Conditioner: Rating 4/10. It is LOUDDD! No matter what setting you use. It is also not as efficient at cooling as the Fiats. That is my benchmark as I don't have another reference to compare. Loud, inefficient and cheap.

Sound/Music System: Rating 6/10. Average sound quality. Not much to say. Apparently, Apple Car Play now works, need to upgrade the software. Bluetooth works well for calls and navigation. Music plays only if USB is connected or maybe I haven't figured it out out. Something called Mirror Link is available for the android phones, useless for me though.

Upgrades required: Rating 5/10. The stock car has several low quality parts that need to be replaced with better quality ones. Cost cutting is evident.
      Upgrades planned if I still have the car in Dec 2017: Bilstein B6 & Polo Springs for suspension, Yet to decide brand of Brakes, yet to decide Steering wheel with Paddle Shifters and possibly a Hydraulic unit. No, I am kidding. Hydraulic is what this car deserves but it's not possible as it will require a million things to be changed.

A few questions & request to others:

Other cars on road: Barring others cars in the VAG family (Octavia, Octavia RS, Jetta etc.), the Vento is constantly overtaking almost everybody on the road. All of this happens even without trying or any kind of need to show off. I think it is more relevant to India where we need to slow down very often for the speed bump, signal, cow, dog, pedestrian, two wheeler and the Karnataka special humans who show you their palm as a superpower to stop cars while they cross the road. Everytime the traffic comes to a halt, this car takes off like a rocket and others are just trying to figure out what just happened. Maybe the guy has NOS. Beautiful engine, beautiful transmission. I can safely say it would be hard to buy a car without this combination in future. Everytime I floor it, the engine note is pure music.

The dangerous side staying ahead of others: People assume I am trying to race with them. The assumption seems too affect people in cars like Swift, Baleno and Ciaz more than others. No disrespect to the owners but a note of caution. The TSi/TFSi cars are designed to be very fast from a standstill and consequently they are ahead of most cars, most of the time. We are not trying to race with you on highways. The non Turbo Petrols need to stop trying to push their cars and stop endangering the lives of people in their cars and our cars. I had a Rapid TDi that took offense today that I zipped past him in the blink of an eye. Thing is, each car has it's strength and diesels offer phenomenal torque that is to be enjoyed differently. I love a Vento TDi for example. Here is a way to tell if you are endangering people's lives - if you are struggling and pushing your car to it's limits to take over a car particularly ahead of you; it's time for a reality check. I don't take offense that the 1.4 manual octavia TFSi just went by like a flash of lightning. I know the limitations of my car. Should I risk my life, the life of people in my car and the lives of people in the Octavia by trying to overtake him at any cost? No, thank you.

Cruise Control: I am still reading the owner's manual, it's difficult to read as it is mix of generic info across VW cars and some specific to the Vento. Anyway, is there Cruise Control and if so, where is it?
      lol I agree with you. Some people drive too aggressively and are impatient. But if you are flooring the acceleration you are doing the same thing isn't it ?

Need more power

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KimiRaikkonen View Post
      lol I agree with you. Some people drive too aggressively and are impatient. But if you are flooring the acceleration you are doing the same thing isn't it ?
      I am never flooring it, I am not even comfortable in this car over 100KMPH. It just launches very quickly from a standstill.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information