• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Android HU advice needed

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Android HU advice needed

Hello,

I am using a pioneer 5890 as source in the current setup. Was happy with it till I recently got a saber 9018 and switched over to using digital optical input on the minidsp.

Now i need a hu capable to play/stream SoundCloud, YouTube, cd usb media and then output everything digitally via optical cable to DSP.

I am inclined towards android headunit.
      Most likely on the lookout for the following features:
      1) has to support standard reverse camera
      2) Bluetooth support for calls and streaming content
      3) WiFi support for connecting mobiles hotspot and GPS for navigation.
      4) steering control integration
      5) able to connect and support usb otg for the saber dac and ability to route audio through the usb dac
      6) radio if possible
      7) (I know I am stepping over the line ) cd/DVD support.
      8) good and fast interface with zippy processing and Ram

I think the first 5 features are available in many generic Chinese hu but are the updated regularly. Is the support good?

I have no experience with any headunits other than pioneer. So the benchmark for me would be same level of ui and performance as the Pioneer.

People asking for status
      update

Awesome

Look for a brand called Joying in aliexpress... they are worth the money and a pretty decent brand among the Chinese head units..

You can select the HU according to the Car.. provided your car is listed, otherwise you can try the universal HU

Awesome

Android head units are good but support is not provided by manufacturers generally. Not recommended as a high end audio source too. Android audio out is mixed with audio out of another processor called MCU that handles BT audio & FM. I'm not sure if digital audio out is available on android headunits that can be connected to MiniDSP. I myself pondered over getting an android unit but later went with a custom tablet solution with USB DAC audio out. Android does not natively output high sample audio beyond 44Khz.

People asking for status
      update

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by AJ_V View Post
      I'm not sure if digital audio out is available on android headunits that can be connected to MiniDSP. I myself pondered over getting an android unit but later went with a custom tablet solution with USB DAC audio out. Android does not natively output high sample audio beyond 44Khz.
      You can use a Ministreamer from minidsp and to get audio out upto 24bit/96 khz and input it into the Minidsp or whatever dsp you are planning to use.. Gives an all digital out path from the Android HU to the DSP, if a ministreamer is used..

Awesome

24 bit 96khz audio is not supported by android core natively. Some companies did change the Kernel to support their DACs but I doubt that Chinese head units have got such a modified kernel. Music player apps like USB audio player pro uses OpenSL ES driver for supporting high resolution audio but then native android audio like google maps voice directions cannot be heard while using the app. I believe ministreamer must be upsampling to achieve the 96khz audio.

Awesome

I already have saber 9018 dac and usb audio player pro purchased. I just need a hu that would support playback through the usb.

Awesome

24 bit 96khz audio is not supported by android core natively. Some companies did change the Kernel to support their DACs but I doubt that Chinese head units have got such a modified kernel. Music player apps like USB audio player pro uses OpenSL ES driver for supporting high resolution audio but then native android audio like google maps voice directions cannot be heard while using the app. I believe ministreamer must be upsampling to achieve the 96khz audio.
      So I cant use the usb audio player pro along with maps and other apps.
      But I atleast route all the audio to usb interface when using normal android apps. Right?

Awesome

Do you know of any such models which have modified kernels for 24 bit / 96khz playback??

People asking for status
      update

Awesome

Yes you can route audio Played via USB audio pro through USB.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Amarcool View Post
      Do you know of any such models which have modified kernels for 24 bit / 96khz playback??
      Google might be allowing LG or Samsung to alter the kernel, probably not the Chinese headunits that uses rooted Android software.

Thread Information