• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Introducing Shashanka - a senior citizen & still a dyed-in-the-wool buff

Scorpio 2004, EECO 2015

Awesome

Introducing Shashanka - a senior citizen & still a dyed-in-the-wool buff

Hello, fellow members !

First off, thank you Gearheads for accepting my application for membership - its certainly a pleasure! I am Shashanka Choudhury, a 67 year old, young at heart, fully retired (voluntarily I may add!) marine engineer. The last stint I did on a blue water flag was a 10-year tenure (no pun intended) as Chief Engineer on Mitsui's car career fleet, ferrying cars (usually Japanese) round the world, usually to the U.S., Europe, Central and South America.

I have been an automotive gearhead (I prefer the term over the more popular petrol head as I've worked with Diesel engines all my working life!) since I was first smitten - by a little Renault Dauphine - as an 11-year old, cycling my way to school in the early sixties. From that, I (and my fellow felons) graduated to surreptitiously peeling the Motoring centre-spread from the Illustrated London News in the British Council Library above the old Mayfair Cinema in Lucknow. I was doing my Inter Science from Christ Church College at the time and our coup-de-grace was a blowup of the Maserati Ghibli (the original, not the current iteration) which was one of Georgetto Guigiaro's earlier and most spectacular successes. I must still be having the cutting somewhere.

Over the years, very fortunately, my wife and I have been able to indulge our abiding interest in touring the country by road. It started with a trip (in 1997) from Mumbai>Lucknow>Uttaranchal>Lucknow>Mumbai, spending time both in Lucknow but mostly touring Uttaranchal. The route: NH3 to Shivpuri and then NH25 to Lucknow via Kanpur. Our steed of choice on that first trip was a white Maruti Omni which we had bought in 1988 and on which we lavished a great deal of TLC!
      Since then there have been many more trips to Uttaranchal (have lost count to be quite honest) as well as trips from Mumbai>Madikeri(Coorg district in the Nilgiris) and back as well as trips from Lucknow>Kolkata and back. There have been other cars too - the Tata Sierra, M & M Scorpio and the Hyundai Getz - the last two of which we still own.

We are also serious dog lovers - we have had boxers, and only boxers - for the past many years. One of them - Daisy, may her soul rest in peace - was the B-O-B Champion at the INKC show in Mumbai in 2004. And they have also been our travelling companions for most of our trips.
      I also have an interest in the paranormal, including UFOs and the alien abduction phenomena. This last has often resulted in a certain amount of ribbing from friends and family members. But then, as I have always maintained, to each his own!

I'll wind up here and once again thank Gearheads, and hope that I can contribute to the fun and enjoyment of this forum.
      With best regards,
      Shashanka Choudhury

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

Welcome aboard sir!

Save the endangered species!! Save the Two Strokes!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130855790280909/

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Welcome to Gearheads. I think you are mature enough not to need any further instructions.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

love to drive thanks to
      wonderfully sounding system.
      Thanks Gearheads.

Awesome

Wow. What an introduction. Hope to get some good insights into diesel technologies, current as well as evolving.

Welcome aboard Sir.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Welcome aboard Shashanka Sir.
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - The Torque Monster.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - A 400+HP corner craving machine!
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Arc Audio.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Scorpio 2004, EECO 2015

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhpistorqintorpm View Post
      Welcome aboard sir!
      Thank you, bhpistorqintorpm,

Its always nice to feel welcome - nothing like the feeling of 'breaking the ice' in new surroundings!

Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      Welcome to Gearheads. I think you are mature enough not to need any further instructions.
      Thank you sgiitk,
      And I quite agree with your sentiment - I am deeply allergic to receiving instructions, particularly on an informal forum, where the motto should be - "Don't step on each other's toes - live & let live!"

Quote Originally Posted by deepfusion View Post
      Wow. What an introduction. Hope to get some good insights into diesel technologies, current as well as evolving.
      Welcome aboard Sir.
      Thank you so much, deep fusion. It's always a pleasure hobnobbing with fellow buffs! And as for diesel technology, I'll be more than happy to chat. Though I must mention here that a marine engineer's experience is often with large slow speed marine goliaths (upto 30,000 KW +)!

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      Welcome aboard Shashanka Sir.
      Thank you so much, mclaren! I look forward to joining in the camaraderie of the forum

People asking for status
      update

Awesome

Welcome aboard Sir! Hope you enjoy your stay here and we expect to learn a lot from your vast experience.

Scorpio 2004, EECO 2015

Awesome

Hello Pr_007,

Thank you for the words of welcome and encouragement. But honestly, when I hear those words - vast experience! - I feel a sense of apprehension. This is because, despite the experience, I've had my fair share of minor & major accidents on the highway. The most recent one (on the outskirts of Bareilly, while returning from Naukuchiatal, on the new toll road from Bareilly to Kiccha) was the worst, when our Scorpio veered on to the sugarcane fields along the highway & rolled over three times, coming to rest right side up. We (my wife & I) crawled out under our own steam, not having suffered anything worse than some serious bruises & cuts here & there. I've posted a write-up (with before & after photos) of the incident in another forum where I am a member.

So to cut a long story short, experience is not something I put a great deal of store by!

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

Glad you both got out safe. Going by your narrative it does seem that you do enjoy to drive a bit enthusiastically? Why not sell the Scorpio and get something that handles better, has better technology to ensure such scary incidents never happen again?
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - The Torque Monster.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - A 400+HP corner craving machine!
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Arc Audio.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Scorpio 2004, EECO 2015

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
      Glad you both got out safe. Going by your narrative it does seem that you do enjoy to drive a bit enthusiastically? Why not sell the Scorpio and get something that handles better, has better technology to ensure such scary incidents never happen again?
      Hello once again mclaren,

The fact is that our 14 year old Scorpio has served us well & is currently going as strong as ever. We need a medium-large SUV that can accommodate our pets and also take in a fair amount of luggage. I has to have a hefty dose of abuse friendliness and durability. And above all it must be RWD - I am firmly in the body-on-chassis, RWD corner of the SUV segment. Plus I'm now very much a retired professional so anything up the ladder is out of the question!

Keeping all this in mind narrows my choice & we keep returning to our tried & trusted Bucephalus! But you are right - we do intend going in for the new Scorpio, just as soon as that cash-flow problem is resolved

About the enthusiastic driving bit, I'll say that I maintain a maximum self-imposed limit of 75/80 on the highway. The accident I wrote about took place on a bright sunny morning around 10.30 - the left rear tyre blew, the car veered of the road, rolled thrice & stopped right side up. The other forum members had lots of input & advice to offer about what to do under similar circumstances - but my firm belief is these things are preordained and that's all there is to it.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03032017178.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	738.0 KB 
ID:	231198  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03032017180.jpg 
Size:	641.3 KB 
ID:	231199  

Name:	03032017181.jpg 
Size:	803.7 KB 
ID:	231200  

Name:	P1030966.JPG 
Size:	605.3 KB 
ID:	231201  

Name:	P1030965.JPG 
Size:	811.6 KB 
ID:	231202  

Last edited by shashanka; 16th May 2018 at 15:57.

Thread Information