• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Introducing Shashanka - a senior citizen & still a dyed-in-the-wool buff

burp!

Awesome

shashanka sir...great to see have you here. Was just reading your travelogue when I thought I should first say hi to you here

Scorpio 2004, EECO 2015

Awesome

Thank you pugmark - feels great to be welcomed by folks like you, who have been around so much longer in the forum! I hope you liked the photologue/travelogue on Naukuchiatal, though I feel a bit embarrassed that my captures are not upto the mark set by some of the super photographers on the forum.
      Anonymous cynic, possibly George Bernard Shaw, quoted frequently - "The more I see of some folks, the better I love my dogs"

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Welcome to the forum Shashanka sir. How much do you recollect from your first Mumbai - Uttranchal drive in 1997? Do you pics / stories of that you possibly can share? We all would be interested to hear how is your experience of that trip was.

Scorpio 2004, EECO 2015

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      Welcome to the forum Shashanka sir. How much do you recollect from your first Mumbai - Uttranchal drive in 1997? Do you pics / stories of that you possibly can share? We all would be interested to hear how is your experience of that trip was.

Hello rksingh1, - thank you for your welcome! Itís a pleasure being here too, thanks to you all.
      About that first drive to Uttaranchal, I must admit that the memory is hazy and badly over-lapped with the dozens (literally) of trips to Uttaranchal which followed and still continue!

At the time digital photography was not the kind of popcorn pastime that it is today! And though I remember taking some photographs with the camera I had at the time (Minolta SRT 101, which I still have!), the negative strips are just sticky bits of congealed plastic today! And the photographs are faded and a pale imitation of the original!
      But yes, the memories linger Ė our menagerie at the time only included Darth, the founding patriarch of our boxers clan! He was just a stripling then but as full of beans as all boxers are.
      But the major recall is the instant connect we made with Uttaranchal. And once we visited Naukuchiatal, we knew that this lake & its surrounds were our Valhalla! It remains so today. Iíve tried to put our obsession with the place in my travelogue. One of the major differences between then and now, is the traffic density & the courtesy of the drivers.
      Today the roads (from Haldwani upwards, as you start the climb) are crawling with cars and with the influx of cabs (mostly hatch backs today apart from the usual Sumos & Boleros) and drivers from out of state - road courtesy (specially on the steep hairpins & inclines) has taken a hit. It was earlier understood that, on any sharp incline, the upcoming traffic would be given priority & the downhill traffic would wait patiently till the stream had safely passed by. Today it is a common sight to find snarls at these junctures & one has to wait patiently till the contretemps has been sorted out between drivers. A pity but that is the situation today!

But all that aside, Naukuchiatal, Mukteshwar, Kausani, Kaladunghi (with Corbettís museum, that Mecca for all Corbett lovers) and all the other splendid little places Ė they weave their magic today just as they have always done in the past!
      Anonymous cynic, possibly George Bernard Shaw, quoted frequently - "The more I see of some folks, the better I love my dogs"

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Welcome onboard shashanka sir ! Have a pleasant stay here at Gearheads & I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with like minded folks & at the same time enjoy your space without much of moderation like the other forums out there.

I remember reading your Scorpio incident. Thank god every one is safe & your beast is back and roaring in full glory ! Enjoy & have a safe drive and also do share more and more of your travelogues.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Scorpio 2004, EECO 2015

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Welcome onboard shashanka sir ! Have a pleasant stay here at Gearheads & I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with like minded folks & at the same time enjoy your space without much of moderation like the other forums out there.

I remember reading your Scorpio incident. Thank god every one is safe & your beast is back and roaring in full glory ! Enjoy & have a safe drive and also do share more and more of your travelogues.
      Thank you Lvramanan for your welcome - I shall say once again that it is a wonderful feeling, this breaking of the ice! And I agree that the degree of moderation (of the posts) here is a welcome change from some of the others out there.

Regarding our Scorpio accident, I'll continue to believe that someone up there was looking out for us on that fateful day!

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
      major recall is the instant connect we made with Uttaranchal. And once we visited Naukuchiatal, we knew that this lake & its surrounds were our Valhalla!
      Out of all the places around Mumbai to visit, why did you pick Naukuchiatal? How long was the drive (in those days) was and the road conditions if you remember? Toll roads hadn't started back then I guess.

Scorpio 2004, EECO 2015

Awesome

^^^ To be honest, we came to Mumbai relatively late in life and mainly because of professional reasons - in those days (the mid-80's) most shipping companies had their offices in Mumbai and it made sense to us. But having grown up & schooled in UP, the tug to go back sometime was always there. Thus Lucknow came about. And Uttaranchal - and by extension Naukuchiatal - is only 380 km or so from Lucknow. Plus, having broken my reading teeth on Jim Corbett's books (as did so many schoolboys back then - I don't know about today) the dream of making Kumaon a home from home was always at the back of the mind. Obviously, I had no idea at the time that Naukuchiatal would become a kind of fulcrum for us.

Does that answer your question?

Scorpio 2004, EECO 2015

Awesome

^^^No, toll roads are still a nonentity in Uttaranchal & frankly you cant have them. The roads are not meant for turnpike speeds and the road maintenance is streets ahead of any other state in India. We have often come across roads damaged & blocked by landslides in the morning. By evening, almost invariably, we have found the road cleared, repaired and traffic moving normally.

The road between Bareilly & Kiccha/Baheri earlier used to be the "road through hell", as we used to call it. And this stretch has been turned into a 4-lane toll road, thanks to the good offices of Akhilesh Yadav, the erstwhile CM of UP. And this has been a great boon for us because the joy of going to Naukuchiatal used to be offset earlier by this miserable stretch of excrescence. We also happened to be passing through Udhamsingh Nagar en-route Naukuchiatal on 9th Nov 2000, the day Uttaranchal came into existence (before that date it was part of UP). And the bone of contention was Udhamsingh Nagar. Why? Because they wanted to stay on in UP & had made no secret of it! Unfortunately, when the boundary was finalized, the place fell in the Uttaranchal side of the border. Because of the bickering which followed between the two sides of the border, the region remained a mess and the roads suffered the most. Our deepest thanks to Akhilesh's govt. for creating the toll road as part of his modernization drive for UP's infrastructure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information