• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: On a Mission to find the almost extinct 'Cheetah'

Getting the cheetah soon!

Awesome

On a Mission to find the almost extinct 'Cheetah'

Hey everyone,

Time has come for me to buy a new car, but this time a SUV or should I say 'the XUV'. My current car, the 2010 i20 petrol is almost 8 years old now and has started to show its age. Yes it is a flood affected vehicle. It was working fine
      post repairs but in the last few months I have been facing so many problems, one of those is the AC problem. I replaced the pressure valve and the hose last month which costed me Rs.7,500. Now few days back, the compressor and condenser went kaput which is going to cost me Rs.22,000 to fix. So I am currently driving without AC. Somehow I am not convinced to spend that amount on a car that isn't going to fetch me even 1 lakh if i sell it. When I'm convinced i'll change. Ok, More on that later.

Let's come back to the XUV5OO.

I have been having an eye on that for a long time now. It was on my wish-list since the day I relocated from Abu Dhabi, UAE. So i was just waiting for any updates to car when in 2017 it got the Android Auto along with color add-ons as

well. Then I saw few rumors of an engine power bump on the next gen of the XUV. I like a jerk decided wait further for the facelift to which I regret now.

Coming to 18th April 2018, Launch of the new "Plush XUV". I felt like the "It was this moment that he knew, he f****d up" scene flash before my eyes. I CRINGED looking at the rear of the new "Plush XUV".
      I mean look at this...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mahindra-XUV500-Facelift-Exterior-125261.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	231318

what were you thinking Mahindra?? I am very shocked on how the management even approved this design. I guess they were drunk lol. The sexy and masculine looking rear section was the USP of the XUV and now its gone. It looks like other regular cars now. The new XUV is of course a better car, I loved the front design, interiors, engine power bump etc etc.
      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	231321

Only the screwed up rear was a huge turn off. Why mahindra? why? I was so looking forward to buy the all new XUV which has been improved in almost every department. I till this day regret for not buying the car earlier. I wanted to buy the against order 'Crimson red" color.

Now started the huge confusion..."What next? should i inquire about old stocks? Ok." I called the dealers in Chennai. None of them had the W10 AWD MT variant which I wanted, they only had the W10 FWD variant. At this point of time, color wasn't a major concern for me as my leisure time is up and have to act fast. I then called up every dealer in TN, again, not even a single one of them had the W10 AWD MT variant. The plant also didn't have stock, ugh. Ok, time to look in other states. I called two showrooms in Kerala, one showroom said no, other said yes. I was jumping in joy 'Yay, I finally found it!!" But that happiness didn't last long, I got a call from them 5 minutes later telling "Sorry sir, FWD variant is available" I politely declined and the worst part is he started convincing me that why i need FWD its good enough etc etc....sorry boss i ain't falling for that. I decide what I want. I told him i want only AWD and kept the call. Then I tried Bangalore next. I called up Ananth cars first, they didn't give a proper response. Later i called India garage, bangalore, they said they had a 2017 sunset orange W10 AWD MT, the news was music to my ears. I told them to send me pictures of the car and a good quote for the car. After few minutes, I get a call, "Sir, we have the 2016 model" . I was like "Are you kidding me?? then why did you tell it was 2017?? etc etc..." I told him straight no, I am not buying a 2 year old car that too with only a discount of 2 lakhs.

So all hopes were lost of me getting a new car and that I have to look at used options only. I go to OLX and find only 2 cars that is W10 AWD MT for sale in whole of TN which has run less than 50k kms. One car was at the Mahindra First Choice dealer at kottivakkam (2016, 41k kms, Red) and the other in coimbatore (2017, 20k kms, white). I decided to go take a look at the MFC car today(23/05/2018), went and test drove it. I liked it, I liked the number as well. everything was ok. I got a bit attached to the car due to the number, RTO(07, Smart card RC ) and the color. There were slight scratches here and there but I liked it. I told them I want to get it inspected at the ASC tomorrow(24/05/2018) to which they were fine. Wow everything going great..yay!

I came back home and I get a call from Ananth cars, I guess they saved my number . This time they were very kind, They asked me what car I was looking at. I told them I want the W10 AWD MT variant of the XUV5OO. They said they have a 2017 model with them but the color they said was the not so common Lakeside brown. So now I am in a huge confusion as I have already gotten attached with the red used car. I told them to send a quote along with the pictures to see how the car looked. My family said color was not a problem they liked it. Now I am the only one in a fix. To buy the new car or to buy the 41k kms run car which I don't know how it was driven previously. Damn! headache! headache!. By the way, If it isn't too much of a problem. I would really appreciate it if you guys could help me by finding out if there is a car available in the variant i want( W10, AWD MT) at your nearby dealerships. I can take delivery at any corner in India now, I just need the car. If you do find it please ping me or reply on this thread.

That's it for now, I'll keep you guys posted.

TO BE CONTINUED
      Last edited by Zigoron; 24th May 2018 at 01:50.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Why not just opt for the new car if budget permits
      Must lesser headache given a 2017 or 2016 used / MY showroom car especially if price difference isnt much
      Tail lamps look odd but arent a dealbreaker imho

Awesome

So there are more people that think new Cheetah looks totally hideous!.
      I have the first gen cheetah- The original Jungle cheetah. Teeth. Claws. Fangs. Tribal decals.
      2nd gen brought a more mature urban cheetah. Stylish, Little less aggression and more silence. Not bad.
      The 3rd gen looks like a tired cat now. Yeek!

Be Very, VERY careful on used cars. There are dozens of Functions in XUV that may fail. and testing all of them is not a manner of 15 mins inspection. A whole day will be required with lots of knowledge. There is a reason Ill maintained cheetahs are selling for peanuts on OLX. Even ASC won't check eveyrthing. Take your friend along who drives a cheetah daily and check the problem areas.
      Whatever you do, Get the car that has some decent warranty left and pay up to extend warranty upto 5 years. Cheetahs are known for some extensive teething troubles. Good luck on your hunt.

“Thunderbolt” XUV 5OO Detailed Review (HID, Audio, LED, Mods++))

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by kkn13 View Post
      Why not just opt for the new car if budget permits
      Must lesser headache given a 2017 or 2016 used / MY showroom car especially if price difference isnt much
      Tail lamps look odd but arent a dealbreaker imho
      Well, as far as cost is concerned, the new XUV is actually cheaper than the older one. Personally I love the XUV for its macho looking rear section. I am not saying the new XUV doesn't look good, it's just that I don't like it.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      So there are more people that think new Cheetah looks totally hideous!.
      I have the first gen cheetah- The original Jungle cheetah. Teeth. Claws. Fangs. Tribal decals.
      2nd gen brought a more mature urban cheetah. Stylish, Little less aggression and more silence. Not bad.
      The 3rd gen looks like a tired cat now. Yeek!

Be Very, VERY careful on used cars. There are dozens of Functions in XUV that may fail. and testing all of them is not a manner of 15 mins inspection. A whole day will be required with lots of knowledge. There is a reason Ill maintained cheetahs are selling for peanuts on OLX. Even ASC won't check eveyrthing. Take your friend along who drives a cheetah daily and check the problem areas.
      Whatever you do, Get the car that has some decent warranty left and pay up to extend warranty upto 5 years. Cheetahs are known for some extensive teething troubles. Good luck on your hunt.

“Thunderbolt” XUV 5OO Detailed Review (HID, Audio, LED, Mods++))
      Yeah bro so true. By the way I am not looking at used cars anymore, I found a new pre-facelift version car.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      So what was decided Zigoron? Did you end up buying the old one? How much was it for?

Awesome

Hey guys! Quick Update#1

Few days after my post, I lost hope completely of getting the cheetah. I almost dropped the plan of buying a new car but then my heart told me to try one last time. So, I went through the list of dealers whom i haven't called yet.

I called the dealer at Calicut, nobody picked up!! Okay, lets call the TVS dealer at cochin. I called them, a gentleman named Yadukrishnan picked up the phone. So I told him that i need the XUV 5OO W10 AWD. He told me that he would check and call me back. I got a call within 10 minutes. What he said was music to my ears! . He told there were 3 cars with them. One black W10 AWD AT, one white W10 AWD MT and one silver W10 AWD MT. Since I was looking to buy manual I had to strike the black car. So now had to choose between white and silver. I love both the colors. So it was very difficult for me to choose. Then, I asked him to send me the manufacturing month of the 2 models. The white XUV was manufactured in October 2017 and the silver was manufactured in March 2018. I told him i'll take the silver since its the newest among the two.

Then started the negotiations and I finally booked it few days later. Now I am waiting for loan approval. If everything goes as planned I should be getting the car by next week. I'll first drive to Chennai on temporary registration then do permanent registration at my nearest RTO.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      So what was decided Zigoron? Did you end up buying the old one? How much was it for?
      YESSS!! Found one in Cochin. Already booked, waiting for loan approval now. Will get car by next week!. I have written an update post on it now. I will reveal the pricing later!

Awesome

Glad to see you got the car you wanted !!
      I myself am looking out for an S Cross 1.6 in good condition
      So far most are either low variants or 1.3 variants. Neither of which I want
      Fingers crossed

Thread Information