• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Darth Vader-My 2018 Aprilia SR150

Japanese vs Italian

Awesome

Thumbs up Darth Vader-My 2018 Aprilia SR150

Hello guys,

I'm posting an ownership review after a long time.And,yes,I bought my first ever two wheeler under my name and that is Aprilia SR150.

Background:
      I had started riding scooters when I was in 10th class and learnt driving on my maternal grandfather's 2012 Access 125,which is also with us now and ran just 18500 Kms in 6.5 years and I don't even know how to ride a geared bike till now.I had to use the Access by force due to personal reasons and I had thinked,why not having an own two wheeler for myself?Yes,this was in my mind since I had completed 18 years of age and since I had started pursuing degree.But,destiny had other plans and had to postpone buying a two wheeler.But,last year,when I was about to buy an Activa 4G or Aprilia SR150,my parents had got me the Access 125 of my grandfather's and had to ride it forcefully and I hate Access 125 to the core coz of poor brakes and suspension.But,I did around 8000 Kms in 10 months on Access until I buy myself a new one.After owning 2 cars at home,I felt that a 2 wheeler is a must at home as I feel lazy in getting groceries by walk and I used to go to college by cab until last year before getting Access.Access served my needs but,after few days of using it,I felt that this vehicle is too old for me to use it for daily rides to college.Hence,I had started searching myself a scooter since 2016.

Selection process:

1.Vespa-This is my favourite scooter when it comes to looks.I had ridden my friend's first lot of Vespa many times along with dealer TD vehicles and I loved it.But,had to struck it off as the Vespa is expensive at Rs.1L and only standard version was coming in my budget.

2.Dio-My another favourite one.I booked one last year by transferring Activa booking to Dio.But,destiny had other plans and had to drop this one and felt too old but matte grey is favourite in Dio.

3.Activa-Every second or third person has an Activa.Many of my relatives and friends own the same vehicle.Even our servant,who works at our native,owns an Activa 5G.But,considered this one as this is one of the trusted vehicles.It was there till final consideration until I had TD'ed Aprilia SR150.

Now,coming to Aprilia SR150,

I had ridden this when it was launched.First,I used to hate its looks but the looks has grown on me afterwards.I had taken several TD's of SR150 and felt this is the vehicle which I wanted and made for meAfter TD'ing the SR150,I had decided to book it but destiny had other plans and booked Activa 4G and then transferred to Dio.That was happened an year ago.And,after an year,I had earned around Rs.6k and had decided to book a vehicle for myself.Finally,on June 18th,I had booked my Aprilia SR150 by paying Rs.5k to the dealer and had to take delivery of the vehicle after one month of booking although the vehicle readily available.Finally,after 2 years of convincing my parents to buy one for me,today I had bought my first ever two wheeler.

And,decided that Aprilia SR150 will be my new love.

Booking and dealer experience:

I had booked it at Radar Motors,Uppal,which is near to my home.This dealer has another two dealerships in Hyderabad.And,I had decided to go to Uppal dealer as this is near to my place.Booking experience was good and my manager was Nikesh,who was friendly and polite.He used to call me frequently after I booked the vehicle and I used to say there is a financial delay,I'll buy it very soon and he happily agreed on it.Today i.e 21/07/18 finally it was the day that I bought my vehicle and called my manager in the evening that I'm gonna take my vehicle today in Black colour.He said Black is not available and he had to procure it from another dealer.And,finally,at 5:45pm,I and my dad went to the dealership and completed all my formalities and paid full cash rather than buying on EMI.Since my desired colour was not available,my manager,who dealt with me,had sourced black one from another dealer.This made us wait for nearly 1.5 hrs and told my dad to go home and called my cousin,who is also an auto enthusiast.Then,after few mins,my manager had arrived with my vehicle with 3 Kms on odo.Then,washing and fitting of accessories like side stand and floor mat took sometime i.e around half an hr of arrival of vehicle and Nikesh got my vehicle washed before fitting those accessories and got the side stand and floor mat installed and the vehicle was all set for delivery.Again,I observed few water marks on it and immediately called that guy and made him clean the vehicle.Finally,my dream came true and took delivery of my vehicle along with pictures taken by dealer guy and my cousin,who has an iPhone 7 Plus.After taking the vehicle,I went to the petrol bunk and filled Rs.300 of fuel,which contains 3.7L of Petrol and odo at the time of filling petrol was 4 Kms and now I did 14 Kms after filling the fuel.As soon as I fill the Petrol in the vehicle,I had headed to nearby Hanuman temple along with my cousin coming in his Celerio driven by himself and the vehicle got all the blessings and headed to home directly after my dad had pestered me to get food for him.So,it was the chance to test my vehicle and did it successfully.After getting food for dad,I had parked my Aprilia behind our Honda City.

And,the OTR of my Aprilia is close to Rs.84000 along with side stand and floormat and I had purchased helmet from dealer for Rs.3000.

So,ladies and gentlemen,presenting you my [B]"Darth Vader" i.e Aprilia SR150.

Pics will follow soon.
      2011 Toyota Innova 2.5 VX D-4D BS4 8-seater-Grey Monster-Preworshipped
      2014 Honda City 1.5 VMT iDTEC-Brown Phantom-Again Preworshipped
      2018 Aprilia SR150-Black Venom

Do or Do Not. There is no Try.

Awesome

congrats on your Darth Vader. Share some pics. Also, enlighten us why you bought it over other scooters.
      Some of my Threads:
      https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?24908-My-WOWA-Waterless-Wash-amp-Wax-Experiment
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25158-Sunday-Detailing-my-Honda-Amaze
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25582-The-Battle-of-Waxes

new member :D

Awesome

Congratulation for your new Vehicle. Post a detailed review and ride characteristics WRT to other CVT scooters in market.
      I am also planning to gift a scooter to my father on his retirement. I am more a motorcycle guy so don't know much about scooter. I have shortlisted TVS Jupiter classic series one (disk brake) and thats what my gf rides. I don;t know why but her scooter is dammn smooth then other TVS Jupiter I have ridden.
      Disc Brakes are my first priority as they don;t come loose after use and remain as it is for years.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Congratulations. Darth Vader - can see a Star wars fan in you

Japanese vs Italian

Awesome

Thumbs up Initial impressions of Darth Vader!

Here are the initial impressions of my Aprilia SR150 after 2 days and 145 Kms on the odo within city:

1.Looks-Its surely a head turner on roads.Many people started asking me about its price,availability and FE since day 1
      2.Performance-Pickup is excellent and I touched around 40-60 Kmph of speed and will test high speeds after 1st service
      3.Bigger tyres added the advantage on speed breaker roads
      4.FE-Its too early to post but FE is not a concern for me at all as it is a pure racing scooter
      5.Brakes are far better than Activa and Access,which is also with us
      6.After riding my Aprilia for 2 days,I found our Access too small to ride in front of Aprilia
      7.Aprilia's seating position is tall and felt like a bike unlike another scooters like Activa and Access
      8.I find headlights are not good-It definitely needs a change and I would be upgrading to LED lights and thinking to add headlight switch as I found AHO is irritating.Will add headlight switch after its registration if my dealer accepts to install it.
      9.Even after riding 75 Kms today,I should say that I'm in love with my Aprilia
      10.That exhaust-Many may hate the exhaust sound,but I like it.This is my personal opinion
      11.Price-Rs.84000 for a 150cc scooter.People are thinking that it is way expensive at Rs.84000.Then I gave them shock by saying that even an Activa 125(w/disc brakes and alloys)costs Rs.83000.My sis-in-law had purchased new version of Activa 125(w/disc brakes and alloys) in matte silver last tuesday for Rs.83000 and later got reduced to Rs.80400 due to known contact.She had taken the vehicle by paying Rs.30000 cash and Rs.50000 as loan.BTW,she purchased the Activa in Warangal(150 Kms from Hyderabad) and an Activa 5G costs close to Rs.75000 OTR in Hyderabad that too with digital meter.But,still,people prefer to buy Activa only.Even an Access 125 also costs same here

Now,thinking to get extended warranty for my Darth Vader as I don't want to face any problems after the end of warranty period and with service people and add footrest as my mom will also be sitting on the pillion sometimes.Later,after first service and permanent registration,I'll get the headlight bulbs changed to LED's or normal white lights as I found the bulbs are not good.And,I got nitrogen filled into Darth Vader's tyres today.

BTW,my cousins and friends rode the vehicle and came out with a grin.

coolash-Thanks bro.I bought a scooter over bike because it is easy to ride on traffic and much safer than a bike and LOL,I don't even know how to ride a bike till now.
      Toshar-Thank you.It is not recommended for your father as it is purely race scooter.I suggest you to look at Activa 125,Grazia and Jupiter.
      rksingh1-Thank you.Haha why I kept that name Darth Vader coz my Aprilia looks killer on black.Thats the reason I had named him "Darth Vader".

Japanese vs Italian

Awesome

Thumbs up 3+months of ownership and 2500 Kms and from Darth Vader to Black Venom!!

Its been 3 months+ since I had updated this thread and changed his name from Darth Vader to Black Venom.Now,he has run nearly 2500 Kms in 105 days and the exact odo reading is 2423 Kms as of now.Here are the updates Im posting right now:

1.Got him serviced on 7th August at Radar Motors,from where I bought my vehicle.I went to showroom at 3pm and I was out by around 4:30pm.The odo during service was 489 Kms and rode 25 Kms after service.
      Oil change costed me ₹280 and the oil used was Castrol 20-40W,which is recommended mainly for Vespa and Aprilia and consumables of ₹150 and total bill I got was ₹432 and I got the number plates for Aprilia,which I later changed to HSRP plates.

2.Aprilia had met with minor accident on the day I had completed 1 month of ownership with Aprilia.When I was speeding and the bus was ahead of me,I had applied sudden brakes and a Scooty Pep+ hit my Aprilia and the person on the Scooty had fell down.But,nothing happened to my Aprilia luckily and I didn't fell from the vehicle but what was hurting was number plate was broken into pieces and lower mudguard had been broken.So,immediately I went to Aprilia service center and got his mudguard changed to new one,which costed me Rs.532.

+ves and -ves of my Black Venom after using it for more than 3 months:

+ves:

+Bike feel-It gives more bike feel than a scooter feel
      +Performance-It easily goes at the speed of 60 Kmph without any hassles
      +Looks in Black-Thats the reason I bought this over Race version
      +Brakes-Way better than our Access,which we have at home
      +VFM-I feel this is one of the VFM's over Activa/Access,which costs Rs.75-83k in our city and Aprilia costs almost same price
      +Bigger tyres

-ves:

-Headlights are poor-Need to change those to LED's soon
      -Water is entering into the odometer sometimes whenever rains outside-Need to check on this issue and the water inside the odo gets dried up after sometime
      -Uncomfortable for 2 people-I couldn't even sit when my mom sits on the pillion
      -FE-As of now getting around 34-36 Kmpl and previous one I got 40.6 Kmpl too.Now,I'm getting 36-37 Kmpl consistently and I got 39.16 Kmpl previously and 41.02 Kmpl previously,which is the highest FE of my SR150 that too ran in city traffic most of the time

Completed 1000 Kms within 40 days of ownership and completed 700+ Kms within 1 month of ownership.And on the occasion of completing 3 months with Black Venom,I had completed 2000 Kms on the odo.

I would be giving my Venom for 2nd service by this week mostly and will be getting the bulbs changed to LED's offered by dealer.Yes,my dealer is offering a set of LED bulbs and saw those when I went to get Venom's horn fixed and costs around Rs.900-950(both pair) and fitting charges of Rs.120 and as per my ASC,2nd service costs me around Rs.551.

And,I had met an SR150 Race owner last Sunday when I went to see my cousin's car,which was given for painting and denting and when I was looking into my cousin's car,I had seen an SR150 Race came for water wash and asked him,"Bro,are you SR150 owner"?He said,"YES".Then,we shared about our experiences with our SR150's and that guy had changed his Race stock rear indicator lights to KTM type indicator lights and looked cool with those indicator lights and he said he had met with an accident and had gave his SR150 Race for repair and said,everything came to normal.That guy had changed the lights of SR150 to LED's and again he reverted back to stock as the previous headlight was broken due to accident and he said,had to remove it due to this.Now,he is selling those bulbs for Rs.2600 but he had offered me for Rs.1500 and he assured me that he himself will install those bulbs into my SR150 and he is willing to give me the KTM type rear indicator lights too.BTW,his SR150 Race is 2018 version and still on TR and has run more than 5000 Kms and he had went to Goa on his SR150 Race and he did many highway trips on his Race.BTW,I rode his Race version and found that the exhaust sound is bit louder than my SR150 and mileage of SR150 Race as per him is around 25-30 Kmpl wthile I'm getting around 35-40 Kmpl on my SR150 and compared the exhaust sounds of my SR150 and his SR150 Race.

All in all,I love my SR150 a.k.a Black Venom.

Now,coming soon,"PROJECT BLACK VENOM".

Good cars take you to Point A
      to point B; Great cars, Well
      they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

Delayed congratulations for the Aprilia buddy Racer_Boy.
      Great choice. Different from the typical honda's/suzuki's, etc. From whatever reviews I have read, its quite economical to maintain as well.

Japanese vs Italian

Awesome

Red face Second service and LED bulbs!

Got second service done yesterday when the reading was 2658 Kms.Just got airfilter cleaned and topped up the oil.Along with service,I got LED lights too,which costed me Rs.1600 for 2 bulbs.First,my SA said it costs Rs.800 for 2 bulbs but the showroom owner had scolded them for saying that the single bulb itself costs Rs.800 and again I had to pay another Rs.800 to them.So total bill was Rs.2177 and in that,Rs.577 costed for second service and Rs.1600 for LED bulbs.After upgrading to LED bulbs,the difference was huge between LED's and OE bulbs.OE bulbs were poor in visibility while LED bulbs are much better but I need to get the focus adjusted a bit for more visibility in the night.

Odo reading is 2703 Kms as of today.

Modsease change this thread title as "Black Venom:My 2018 Aprilia SR150 Ownership Review".

Thread Information