• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does broken TIMING BELT leads to bent VALVES

Sex is not the Answer. Sex is
      the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Does broken TIMING BELT leads to bent VALVES

Quote Originally Posted by alexshom View Post
      How will one know the engine stalled because the timing belt snapped? Any generic symptoms before the engine dies out?
      That is the problem. You need to know about these things to know the belt has snapped.
      Some people know that a car has 4 wheels and you turn the key to start. They even discharge the battery when they run out of fuel!
      When the belt snaps, the engines just dies. Like a heart attack. There might be a slight sound you might not notice. Dont expect to hear the rattle of a can of nails.
      I stopped to help a T4 like mine once. He wanted help to start his car as he claimed he had been out of fuel and had run down his battery before he filled from a 5 liter can. The car did not start.
      I looked into his engine bay and there were bits of timing belt all over but he still thought the car will start.
      I left him begging me to try again since the car always started very easily.
      I dont know but this testing of the clutch on a newly rebuilt engine is very suspicious. Could this have caused it? This is not how you treat any engine.
      My clutch is nearing 340,000km and there is no way I will test it for slipping or anything else. I will just replace the lot next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by sandeep0076 View Post
      According to my first hand experience the first thing you will notice when you try to start the car is a drastic change in the noise of the starter, it sounds like it is running freely, apart from that i think there is no definite way to find out a snapped belt without inspecting under the hood.
      This is the worrying part. When the belt snaps, only 1 inlet and 1 exhaust valve will bend in a 4 cylinder engine. Cylinders 1 and 3 or 2 and 4. There will still be compression on 2 cylinders and the engine should not spin freely on the starter unless compression is missing on all 4 cylinders. Before a belt snaps it usually jumps a few teeth before snapping.
      Don't ever try to make your car jump like a horse again.

My used car made me a trashy
      mechanic

Angry

yes you are right

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Blog Entries
      I didn't read everything, but the symptoms are that of a loose connection of the sensor on the throttle body. Check that before thinking about valves.
      I had same camel like ride on my Santro because of this sensor.
      Why walk when you can run?

mechanic

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by muztariq View Post
      loose connection of the sensor on the throttle body
      are you referring to the actuator/IC Valve? or the TPS?

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

He must mean the TPS but after the belt replacement without checking for valve leak, I doubt it. Has he done a compression test yet?

Hun 2die4

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Sorry, my knowledge of sensors in a car is as low as Sachin's attendance in Rajya Sabha.
      It was a sensor on the throttle body, if there are many, it can be the biggest one out of them.
      After going through the post, I realise that the engine was never behaving ok after replacing the timing belt, hence the issue can be related to timing belt failure itself.
      Why walk when you can run?

mechanic

Angry

Ok here is the result
      I got the work done on my car just 2 days ago

First of all i want to say i was relieved as soon as the head block was removed and i glanced down the pistons looked OK then with a little bit of cleaning and rubbing it was further reassuring to find no crack or chip marks on the pistons

Now i want describe the real problem of low power and pick-up as described in my original question, there were 3 valves the smaller ones that were affected when initially the timing belt snapped i could feel the gap with my finger nails, nevertheless the head was sent to the machine shop where they fixed the valves idk why didn't they change them i asked about the same my mechanic said it wasn't needed to be done rest assured don't worry the problem will go away now.

So anyway at the end the car did very well just like before and no issue of hiccups and misfires

Therefore what i have learned now is that never crank the engine after you suspect a snapped timing belt and how do you get to find out about it is the car would die just die in the middle of the road, get it towed away to the repair guy

Inspect the timing belt schedule wise as you do for the engine oil or coolant check but sometimes it hard to look because of the plastic cover that is there for timing belt so get a wrench do it yourself or get it done by your mechanic when you take the car for regular service

Lastly i would like to thank the user #Indian for his assistance and valuable time.

Happy riding

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

the Question. Yes is the
      Answer

Awesome

Lucky you that it got sorted out without too much trouble. I have my doubts about straightening the exhaust valves but I might be hysterical.
      If you have a DMF, read a bit on how it works and drive with that in mind. This is sn expensive part to replace when it breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information