• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are energy drinks (read Red Bull etc) effective?

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Never tried Redbull for long drives. I didn't like the taste of that thing. It tasted like cough syrup when I had a sip a very long time ago. Like many others pointed out, if I happen to drive in the nights, I do eat light and drink water + light tea.

If sleep is uncontrollable (happened once due to a hectic day at office) a power nap for 10-15 mins and I'll be refreshed for the next 4 or 5 hours.

I don't like any of these artificial boosters be it Redbull or booze.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Life's Boring !!!

Awesome

Chandigarh (Paradise) - Indrapuram (Vertical Slum)
      Something from the internet. I guess drink it depending upon your medical conditions. If you suffer from BP or Sugar then it is best avoided. Red Bull has been banned in some countries.

How do energy drinks work? | HowStuffWorks

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Also it all depends on the party sitting with you. If they are all sleeping then you will tend to get sleep with whatever energy drinks you have
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

I trust in Bhai!

Awesome

Energy drinks mainly constitute huge amounts of caffeine. Just like coffee, tea, smokes etc it is addictive once you get used to it. Caffeine withdrawal is an equally difficult process and i would strongly recommend against them.

I would suggest a power nap or naps as an alternate. Splashing cold water helps as well.

Disengaging cruise control(If you use it) , some spirited driving and good music, Orange/Lime/Mint/Ginger juice or Fresh Oranges, roasted and salty nuts, are other alternatives that can keep you awake momentarily.

Stopping at a road side dhabha/hotel having some light refreshments ( Lassie/Sunny side eggs etc - Whatever works for you) also helps.

In summary, after exausting all other options, one can consider the harmful alternatives in this order. ( Coffee/Tea/Energy Drinks/Drinking/Drugs/Smoking)

Live and let live

Awesome

i had tried long ago, and red bull didnt work for me. I had read on net that redbull is not good for your health also, it's like any of your soft drink, very high on sugar and it messes with your insulin level, muscle glucose and all that stuff. Always tender coconut works for me, I am not much of night driver. If I feel dull, I pull up to a side (safe place) and try to catch a power nap. Nice way to get refreshed than red bull.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by WildWeasel View Post
      Disengaging cruise control(If you use it) , some spirited driving and good music
      +1 to this. With Cruise control, I always get bored & tend to feel sleepy sooner than later. Good peppy music and spirited driving always keep me up throughout the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by shishirbn View Post
      If they are all sleeping then you will tend to get sleep with whatever energy drinks you have
      Never faced this. Many a times my wife or my dad will accompany me in the front passenger seat and they've all dozed off and never ever I got sleep because they all were sleeping.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      With Cruise control, I always get bored & tend to feel sleepy sooner than later
      None of my cars has Cruise control (though not by intention, but due to lack of it in my car), and i always have a fear that on a highway Cruise control might make me sleepy very easily. In addition, a car with automatic gear shift (AMT or proper automatic) would make the drive more boring when combined with the CC.

I have slept once while driving my Vista at night (in Bangalore near my home) when i let the second gear to let the car roll by itself while trying to give my 2 kids a ride to pacify them as they were not well and i had not slept last night at all. At some point, i closed my eyes and fell asleep, and i banged into a parked car. It was a side swap. Though the damage to another car (Ikon) was none, i got my car's bumper, front side panel and front door (driver side) dented/bent/scratched and driver door jammed.

During my drive back from Hyderabad to Bangalore in Storme last year, i was trying too hard not to sleep towards end of journey (i had slept a little the night before). So i let my wife drive for some time, and thereafter did some spirited driving which made my sleep evaporate. And i could complete the journey.

Another time, i got stuck in Delhi traffic (due to Delhi Meerut flyway construction) while driving back to my home town on NH24 some 50 kms from my sister's home in Delhi @11:00 PM . I was sleepy as hell, but could not afford to stop anywhere as it was past 1:00 AM and it was not safe to stop anywhere at night with my kids and wife in that area. The tension for safety of all kept me away from falling asleep while driving. In the hindsight, i should have stayed back in Delhi for the night and should have started in morning.

I try to avoid any cold drinks(pepsi/coke etc), and drink only tea/coffee and water while driving.

Do or Do Not. There is no Try.

Awesome

I have never slept while driving, but I don't drive when I feel I can't keep awake. IMHO its not the lack of sleep which itself make us sleep while driving but the boring part of driving, we can work through lack of sleep when needed but when driving, especially at night there are no distractions and less traffic so it gets boring and chance of sleeping increase. The only time I feel drowsy is when driving on empty highway stretches like Noida - Greater Noida Expressway as its so boring. If you are feeling sleepy even a 5 minute break to get out of the vehicle to stretch your legs, drink water and washing face can keep you awake for next couple of hours. Don't take short nap, as after taking a short nap you will get more drowsy as you have given your brain signal to rest, but if you keep awake the brain knows it has to keep alert and you will not let the body rest. Also, if you are engaged and interactive during driving you will feel less sleepy, the best way is to have a chatterbox companion or listen to any educative audio instead of music, anything that keeps your brain engaged.

One more thing regarding red bull or energy drinks, they artificially increase your heart rate which is bad for you. I tried it once and it caused me jitteriness. If you need to increase your heart rate, just stop your car and do burpees on the side of the road for 5 minutes.
      Some of my Threads:
      https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?24908-My-WOWA-Waterless-Wash-amp-Wax-Experiment
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25158-Sunday-Detailing-my-Honda-Amaze
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25582-The-Battle-of-Waxes

Up and Running

Awesome

I do take redbull if i drive for 500+ kms. I generally take it at half the distance. But, i do have the habit of taking a break for every 2hrs. Be it for a coffee/food/ or just nature call. I tend to drink lot of water during long drives. Hence a break every 2hrs is a must . If the passengers are active and chatty, generally i don't need redbull to stay fresh. But, my choice of Ilayaraja songs make both my daughter and kid go asleep

Once i took redbull at Hosur while driving back to Bangalore from my native. I couldn't sleep for 2-3 hrs after reaching home late at night. Hence, i take it when 3-4hrs journey time remaining.
      Running away from your problem is a race you will never win
      My Vision through Camera :- https://www.facebook.com/VisionThroughCamera

^ BHP = Torque X RPM

Awesome

i'm not averse to any non-alcoholic drink while driving though i try to avoid sugary drinks for obvious reasons. i've had caffeine cold drinks [including Redbull] few times. can't seem to figure out if it has any effect [i drink around 6-8 cups of tea/coffee a day].

i always prefer driving only in the dark preferably after 12AM and try to reach destination before the day-break.
      i've not felt sleepy in any of my drives be it with family or friends. probably a lot depends on the state of mind/body prior to the drive [most of the times i start my drive after finishing office]. no special rules followed - if tired/sleepy take rest, if hungry eat and drink if thirsty.
      my friends chide that i drive like a trucker - means i feel extra hungry and thirsty while driving

Save the endangered species!! Save the Two Strokes!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/130855790280909/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information