• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are energy drinks (read Red Bull etc) effective?

Looking forward to some long
      drives

Awesome

I usually avoid night driving. Done it only 2-3 times when travelling to Cochin or Trivandrum for vacations. I prefer starting early in the morning like 2AM-3AM.

There were a few instances when I felt sleepy during an early morning ride/drive

1. Bangalore to Chennai ride on my bike in 2008. Couldn't sleep well the previous night due to power cut. Started at 4AM from bangalore. I slept on the road near Ambur, where there is a side road and barricade, with full biker gear. It was definitely a sight for the people there that day. Ironically, had an accident that day when I reached chennai when a goods auto made a sudden turn from left side of the road to right. Ended up hitting my leg and bending the gear lever. No major damage or injuries.

2. Bangalore to Cochin drive in 2011/12. Started at 3AM. Rainy drive till Salem. Started feeling sleepy after Salem. Took a nap at a well lit Petrol Bunk for 30 mins. Woke up travelled some distance for some tea and then continued my journey. Thats the only time I remember having tea during my India trips.

In the US, I never did early morning starts nor night drives. Still I feel sleepy if the trip goes beyond 45 mins. The long straight roads are very boring, combined with the Automatic gears and all gizmos in the car. I know why all the new driver oriented tech originate in the US - Lane Keep Assist, Variable Cruise Control with Auto braking, Driver monitoring etc etc. I stop at Starbucks and get a sugary drink and sip it whenever I feel sleepy.
      2012 Cruze Eco 1.4Turbo ... Commuter Car

Secret

About 4-6 hours after consumption, you'll feel tired. More tired than the initial period before you drank it. So, I strongly recommend you to reserve it for the very last stint. Easy solution is to consume another can, but that's just stupid.

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      Never faced this. Many a times my wife or my dad will accompany me in the front passenger seat and they've all dozed off and never ever I got sleep because they all were sleeping.
      Sirji, you are at a different level. I was talking of lesser mortals like us
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      +1 to Lvramanan, people say that is co-passenger is sleeping you tend to feel sleepy too - not with me. Entire car can doze off - it doesn't bother me. Rather it makes me feel good that they are relaxing in a drive and I can listen to whatever music I like and see around.

To answer the question, no, I haven't drunk Red-bull while on long drive. When I am tired, I just sip water. I don't plan in having Coke, but I don't say NO if it is there. Any sort of sugar intake is good when tired /exhausted.

I love to be behind the wheels in Laali and it I like seating comfort of the car. It is so relaxing and engaging that I don't get tired that often. I wasn't confident earlier, but now, I am sure I can do a solo long drive too

Global Moderator
      Driving Worlds fastest truck!!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      people say that is co-passenger is sleeping you tend to feel sleepy too
      You and LV are all in same leagues. 99% of the folks feel sleepy. You guys are like those truck and bus drivers then. whole bus sleeps except the driver.

If the driver sleeps then everyone will have permanent sleep
      Try walking into YOUR car rather than crawling. For me walking is always best ---GURU SHISHIR

LIVE to DRIVE

Awesome

I've done quite a few inter state solo night drives and also with family and friends with everyone sleeping. But I didn't feel sleepy.

It all boils down to one's interest in driving. It's just that I love night drives and so don't fall asleep.

If you lose interest you'll feel sleepy be it even a day drive within the city. Its as simple as that.

Sent using Tapatalk

not aware that he can set his status here!

Hungry

During my childhood I use to chew tobacoo based pan masala to keeep myself awake. After giving up on it, I started chewing tobacco and it kept me awake during night drives. Surprisingly I never found ciggerates / tea / coffee helpful during drives.

It's been 2 years I gave up on nicotine and afterwards my state of mind changed and I am less confident for night drives. If I am travelling along than lot of hallucinations start appearing on my mind so I always take someone who is very much talkative and keeps me engaged during drives.

I believe it's more related to state of mind rather than any energy drink.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information