• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Renault Duster 110ps AMT aka "BUTCH"

Follow Your Heart

Awesome

Preface: Narrowing down on the Butch

Its been 5 years of an happy relationship with my GreyHound. Very happy with its performance.. just zipping around the city and contending with the big guys in the highways.. Life was just fun.. But we just celebrated his 5th bday in september and since the thought of letting go of my buddy started to slowly sink in...

2 main reason:
      I know maintaining a car more than 5 years is gonna be tough.. parts would need to be replaced and I would end up cribbing about it... I wanted to part ways on a happy note
      Secondly the boot and rear seat space.. With a 2 inch sub in the boot, the luggage space was literally non-existent which proved to be a lot of hassle during our getaways..

I know getting a new car would happen in the next one year or before i hit the 1lakh mark in ODO.. but ended up buying the Butch in next one month.

Greyhound Ownership thread: Swift VDI 2013 [Grey Hound] Now Code-6 Tuned: My Ownership Experience

I was pretty clear in my requirements:
      I know the next car should be big in terms of space.
      Definitely a stepup in engine size
      Badass looks.... The pleasure of driving a prithvi's scorpio and the respect you get on roads is something which was stuck in my head..
      Considering the budget, Compact SUV was the one.. made up my mind...

Contenders were the following:
      Creta
      S-Cross
      Duster
      Captur

It was mid september and we were driving back from my MIL place in kelambakkam to my place in mount road.. Wifey and me were having some heated up discussion in the car while we were near perungudi.. I thought ok lets change the mood and pulled over to the Nexa and tried to sell her the idea of S-Cross. I know its the current 1.3DDIS engine with different set of tune and Beta variant was in my cards but Mi10 & shiva have already given their piece of mind and S-Cross was in the top of the contender list. Took a TD... Wifey sat in her passenger seat observed everything very closely. She was just not convinced.. because she doesnt know the technicalities.. as a layman, she quoted that its the same engine... same interiors... and doesnt look meaty enough.. BTW she is a big fan of masculine cars.. alright the very moment S-Cross was disqualified from the top position. Yet another reason was the buy back prize they offered for the well maintained swift.. i was really feeling bag when maruthi itself doesnt appreciate their products..

Disappointed, we came out of Nexa and Voila.. Renault showroom was just across the street... We had ample time and Why not... let us check it out as well. Went to the showroom and there was one Duster just welcoming us in its slate grey skin [This was a new colour which i have not seen it on roads].. Wife and kid were seeing and feeling duster in such a close proximity for the first time.. They both were convinced this was one to be considered over S-Cross... I did kept their hopes low stating I would never venture in to it before getting expert opinions from the GH gurus... We took a TD's a 110ps manual vehicle... Wife was happy about the relatively high seating position.. I was happy about the performance.. It was punchy... the ride comfort just wowed me... As per my planning.. 85ps variant was in my budget and we got a quote.. Unfortunately i was told 85ps production was stopped and would resume only in Jan 2019.. I was in no hurry.. I said i was fine with it..

Captur was over my budget and was very lenghty to fit in my house..
      TD'd a Creta: Loved the refinement... but it was over the budget by 2 lakhs and wife felt the ride comfort was better in Duster than in creta..

Under these grounds.. the last standing vehicle was duster....

TD'd the duster many times riyaz_cobra came to rescue and finally we concluded Duster was the one. There was a lot of drama happening me and Mountroad Khivraj brach.. they had one 85ps variant in stock [Feb'18 manufactured - 8 months old] but the colour available was Cayenne Orange. I took it with the pinch of salt... but decided to check with other dealers as well before venturing..

One fine saturday, decided to check out the Kun renault showroom. I was completely blown away by the professionalism shown by the SA and the SM who dealt my case. I was straight forward.. I told them about the quote i got from Khivraj and the Company lease constraints i have.. Without wastign any time, they immediately matched the price which Khivraj gave with the 110ps variant and that too my favourite slate grey color.. i was literally on top of the world... I have made up my mind.. it is going to be Duster 110ps manual and it would be delivered in a month.. done and dusted.. i gave my word to him and told him i will initiate the process with my organisation and leasing company.. came back home..

Came back home elated that I am going to get a new car in one month.. Got a call from Kun SM asking if am willing to check out the AMT variant... I said that it s not in my cards at all.. He said just do a TD.. no harm and no foul... I said why not... it was satruday evening traffic in nungambakkam when i TD'd the car... AMT was a boon and left leg was laready thanking me.. but then i got to floor the vehicle in Spurtank road in chetpet and i was terribly disappointed with the Head-nod and lag... I told SA that i will stick with the Manual.. Then SM told me that this is a typical behaviour of am AMT that too for a person moving from a manual.. This time he TD'd the car with me and we drove 30kms.. He literally thought me how to drive a AMT... To ice the cake, he said this slate grey AMT [5th Sep mamanufactured] is readily available and i can chose if i want to.. Financially he said i wouldnt breach my leasing limit and gave few additional offers so that I would get a AMT over manual with an excess 30k.. I said i will check and get back..

Wife gave a go-ahead for AMT. riyaz_cobra convinced me that this is the best deal you could get for 14.32L and Duster AMT is the best in class.. fine.. got a go ahead from my organisation. I said i will book the car only after the PDI...

Here are few PDI Pics of our PDI. riyaz_cobra came for the PDI

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PDI1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	233594

Name:	PDI2.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	952.9 KB 
ID:	233595

Name:	PDI3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	979.4 KB 
ID:	233596

Name:	PDI4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	987.7 KB 
ID:	233597

Car was washed and was in prestine condition.. We had the PDI checklist handy and every check was a pass. VIN confirmed tat it was Sep'18 manufactured and the same was quoted in the release sticker on the vehicle... also the ODO read 13kms... Gave a go-ahead and i was promised the deivery with in a week..

even more interesting aspect was that the Kun guys appreciated my maruthi better than maruthi themselved [by a margin of 75k] and that was a sweet deal i couldnt deny...
      It was all set.. I had a 10day outstation trip between 11th to 19th...I would let go of my greyhound on 19th [prior to delivery of new car - Sentiments] and would take delivery of the new car on 23rd...

To be continued.. Chapter 2: where did the butch go after delivery? stay tuned...

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Hungry

yoge_007 brilliant review..and a brilliant color.
      TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

I trust in Bhai!

Awesome

Congrats Yoge. Wish you many more happy and safe drives with the Butch!

Do or Do Not. There is no Try.

Awesome

Congrats Yoge. May this car give you lakhs of happy miles
      Some of my Threads:
      https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?24908-My-WOWA-Waterless-Wash-amp-Wax-Experiment
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25158-Sunday-Detailing-my-Honda-Amaze
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25582-The-Battle-of-Waxes

Looking forward to some long
      drives

Awesome

Congrats Yoge. Good choice of colour. My fav colour and glad to see it on the Duster.
      2012 Cruze Eco 1.4Turbo ... Commuter Car

No More Half Measures

Awesome

Congratulations on your duster.

Surprising Renault is giving AMT for a 14L car .
      Although AMT is jerky it is peace of mind among auto gearboxes for its simplicity and abuse friendly nature.

Follow Your Heart

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
      yoge_007 brilliant review..and a brilliant color.
      Thanks roadracer ... i too fell in love with the colour the moment i saw it..

Quote Originally Posted by WildWeasel View Post
      Congrats Yoge. Wish you many more happy and safe drives with the Butch!
      Thanks WildWeasel...

Quote Originally Posted by coolash View Post
      Congrats Yoge. May this car give you lakhs of happy miles
      Thanks coolash

Quote Originally Posted by krish View Post
      Congrats Yoge. Good choice of colour. My fav colour and glad to see it on the Duster.
      Thanks krish

Follow Your Heart

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KPR1 View Post
      Congratulations on your duster.

Surprising Renault is giving AMT for a 14L car .
      Although AMT is jerky it is peace of mind among auto gearboxes for its simplicity and abuse friendly nature.
      Thanks KPR1... 14.32L was excluding the insurance as insurance is bourn by the leasing partners... You may need to account insurance cost in the final prize..
      am saving AMT specific review for the 1000km mark to make a proper judgement.. so far so good.. no regrets.. still havent done a highway trip though....

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Congrats yoge_007 on the new acquisition ! Wish you many happy miles on the beast

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

No More Half Measures

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by yoge_007 View Post
      Thanks KPR1... 14.32L was excluding the insurance as insurance is bourn by the leasing partners...
      Duster 110 is too costly. It should be at 12.5 to 13L for a reasonable and VFM pricing is what my opinion. It will definitely attract more customers.
      But anyway Duster is one no nonsense SUV. I believe in buying a tested, proven and the best offering a manufacturer can give to a model. Duster itself is one such car and the icing on the cake is auto gear to it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information