• Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: Electric Vehicles

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Electric Vehicles

I think it is high time we started a discussion on EVs. A few brands are expected from late next year. There may be one or two Indian labels as well. I am sure about Mahindra & Maruti.
      hybrid
      I used to be a person in favour of hybrid EVs. However, there are things which have made me a pure EV man.

Why:
      1. Pure EV will be lighter (no petrol/diesel/CNG power train) and smaller than Hybrid. Most EVs have the batteries under-floor. The motors are quite compact. 4WD is popular, with all wheels powered. So almost the entire bonnet volume can be made redundant.

Also, looking at the US scenario EVs will require far less maintenance.
      Last edited by sgiitk; 29th Nov 2018 at 16:13.
      Drive carefully, the life you save may be your own.
      Honda Civic V AT (2010), Honda Brio V AT 2012
      Hyundai Accent GLS, 2003; Hyundai Santro AT (2005)

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
      looking at the US scenario EVs will require far less maintenance
      They might need higher maintenance due to our poor road condition and crappy treatment we give to our cars.

I also heard that Indian govt isn't subsidizing EV. As per Niti Aayog (Planning commission) - methane is more promising than EV : https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/62323639.cms

Govt is confused on promoting EVs:

How The Govt’s Flip-Flop On Policy Is Slowing Down EV Adoption In India

Life's Boring !!!

Awesome

Chandigarh (Paradise) - Indrapuram (Vertical Slum)
      I don't see any reason why the Govt. would promote EV in India. We as a whole are a opportunistic nation/people. If Govt goes the EV route they have nothing to gain but all to loose. If the Govt. would have been so keen towards EV Delhi would be one of the best places to promote it. The current pollution level really demands that Delhi runs on EV. I understand that we would than question about infrastructure but if the Govt is willing it can be done.

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      They might need higher maintenance due to our poor road condition and crappy treatment we give to our cars.

I also heard that Indian govt isn't subsidizing EV. As per Niti Aayog (Planning commission) - methane is more promising than EV : https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/62323639.cms

Govt is confused on promoting EVs:

How The Govt€™s Flip-Flop On Policy Is Slowing Down EV Adoption In India
      Methane as the preferred route. Someone is on pot. Methane preferred to EV. Less said the better.

In any case the EV is now the declared preferred route. At some places they claim as early as 2030!

Quote Originally Posted by back2u4u View Post
      I don't see any reason why the Govt. would promote EV in India. We as a whole are a opportunistic nation/people. If Govt goes the EV route they have nothing to gain but all to loose. If the Govt. would have been so keen towards EV Delhi would be one of the best places to promote it. The current pollution level really demands that Delhi runs on EV. I understand that we would than question about infrastructure but if the Govt is willing it can be done.
      EVs are coming and they are the future:
      Some points worth considering:
      Maintenance : An EV has fewer moving parts so less to go wrong. Road conditions do not really matter. rksingh1; world experience bears me out. Also, the Tesla model of all maintenance by the manufacturer may not be valid in India. Electricity is no longer in short supply.

I agree with you back2u4u; Delhi can be a prime case. If they restart odd-even then EVs will naturally be exempt. I have seen reports that Green Vehicles even get a Green set of plates.

One major problem we will have in India. A large portion of India needs air conditioning, which can put a load on the batteries. So what will be the actual life is a matter for discussion.

Also, the very quietness of EVs may increase traffic accidents, but then the M800 faced the same issue.

The state stands to lose a lot of revenues from fuel. I am sure they will find a way round.
      Last edited by sgiitk; 30th Nov 2018 at 10:45.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

The state stands to lose a lot of revenues from fuel. I am sure they will find a way round.
      I am very skeptical with the States have been used to the taste of constant source of revenue, they'll oblige to give it away. May be for Delhi its a matter of utmost priority but other states will come up with their own strange reasons to keep this off the boundary for a while.

An EV has fewer moving parts so less to go wrong. Road conditions do not really matter. rksingh1; world experience bears me out. Also, the Tesla model of all maintenance by the manufacturer may not be valid in India. Electricity is no longer in short supply.
      What about the dust prone and hot climatic conditions. I've read Heat is an enemy to battery life. Will that not shorten the life span ?
      Last edited by sgiitk; 2nd Dec 2018 at 12:51.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Hondameister
      Formerly IITK

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lvramanan View Post
      What about the dust prone and hot climatic conditions. I've read Heat is a enemy to battery life. Will that not shorten the life span ?
      The information we have is for Lead Acid batteries. Li-ion are not yet known. I guess things are sorted out since the Chinese have just announced Li based Submarine batteries.
      Last edited by sgiitk; 30th Nov 2018 at 10:59.

Thread Information