• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apprenticeship at a tuner/race engineer?

Being Tooner!

Awesome

You know what, I was taking this a little bit off all along. You guys are the ones with the experience and have known the reality of stuff. And yes. It makes sense, a lot of it in fact.

Tuning is more of a hobby in a country like India where everything has to be practical. Nomad made some stinging, but necessary truths evident. Thank you very much for letting me know that you cannot learn by leeching. Golden advice.
      harrie, mclaren1885, Thank you for being patient, and offering to help. I have now decided that I shall too pursue this like a hobby because this is a tempting mistress, but a lousy wife. Regular engineering shall go on and so shall the respective interns and stuff, but I want to learn ECU remapping as a hobby, and this will be a purely personal pursuit, a side job if you will. And where I stand financially, I cannot afford to make mistakes that costly. Hence I wanna start from the absolute basics, and then keep tinkering for experience. As Nomad pointed it out, you can only learn by doing.

And so, I come full circle, but differently. This is a hobby internship now, which probably wouldn't be a brownie point for me in the resume unlike others. If I do get accepted into journalism, I'll still go with learning this, because, well, erm, hobby. So certificate or no certificate, this has become a purely fun hobby thing.

Quote Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
      And a word MSW, i see the tone in which you put sentences together at some places border arrogance. If i were you, i would at least be courteous since i am the one looking for information / guidelines / suggestions.
      If I am, really really sorry. That is not the kind of route I wanted to take. If I have offended, please let me know. Please. I always take an argumentative route on every forum for I dunno why, maybe I should scale back on debates. Gunna talk as a story writer from now on. SORRY!
      Celebrating the thrill of driving, one dent at a time

Majingilane

Awesome

Blog Entries
      My way of looking at it is this.

One way to gauge interest in something is to see what one has done in that sphere. So, figure out if this is a passing fad or a genuine interest. Only you can make that decision. One way in which that can be attempted is to see what you have already done in those areas. Have you done justice to that interest till date? The interest in something else should not be because what you do currently is uninteresting. A lot of us suffer from this disease.

You could be a race engineer at the pinnacle of motorsport anywhere in the world. Arm yourselves with the right degrees too. There are doctorates in mathematics and computational fluid dynamics in the F1 paddock. WRC has highly qualified suspension engineers Why cant you be one of them too? For that, you will have to move purposefully. Look at what gets you there and apply yourselves. An alternate way to make that happen is to be an in house genius. An Edison of sorts. If you are in this path, the signs should already be there. Look for it.

Sirius Motorsports

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
      My way of looking at it is this.

One way to gauge interest in something is to see what one has done in that sphere. So, figure out if this is a passing fad or a genuine interest. Only you can make that decision. One way in which that can be attempted is to see what you have already done in those areas. Have you done justice to that interest till date? The interest in something else should not be because what you do currently is uninteresting. A lot of us suffer from this disease.

You could be a race engineer at the pinnacle of motorsport anywhere in the world. Arm yourselves with the right degrees too. There are doctorates in mathematics and computational fluid dynamics in the F1 paddock. WRC has highly qualified suspension engineers Why cant you be one of them too? For that, you will have to move purposefully. Look at what gets you there and apply yourselves. An alternate way to make that happen is to be an in house genius. An Edison of sorts. If you are in this path, the signs should already be there. Look for it.
      There is one bug problem with going down this route. Earlier a degree in "Motorsports" from Cranfield University, UK would assure you a job at one of the biggies either in F1, WRC or the numerous other feeder categories. Of late ( since 2010?? ) because of the visa restrictions most of the teams shy away from recruiting non-EU candidates ( most of the teams are based out of UK ). Maybe Brexit would ease things a little, but that remains to be seen.

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days

Awesome

Look ta this person, he developed a 1000 CC bike for RS 8L only using a car engine.

https://yourstory.com/2017/01/riddhe...e-1000cc-bike/

i am sure, he might have learnt plenty of things while doing this build. if he had waited for Harley Davidson or Royal Enfield or Honda to provide his apprentice or training, he would not have reached here. Self Taught Experts will always have an edge over Trained Experts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information