• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Car to Buy MPV / Sedan / SUV

Do or Do Not. There is no Try.

Awesome

Post What Car to Buy MPV / Sedan / SUV

Hi Everyone,

I am confused about what car to buy, need help.

Current Car: Honda Amaze 2014, capable workhorse, no issues till now.

Need for Change: We were recently blessed with a kid and we are currently usually travelling 4 adults + 1 kid so need a bigger car as need to fix baby car seat also. Also, I am chauffeur driven and the ride quality at back of Amaze is bouncy, so need a car which is more comfortable at back.

Budget: 10-15 lakhs

Confusion: What type of car to buy MPV or Sedan or SUV

I have looked at a few cars Ertiga, BRV, XUV, City & Ciaz.

I liked Ertiga as a package, it gives me flexibility, ride quality is very comfortable even in third row and has option of frugal Petrol engine which makes cost of ownership lower in Delhi / NCR as compared to diesel cars.

BRV looks good from some angles and bad from other angles, plus very flimsy second row seats and old ageing model is going against this car. The resale value would not be good considering either it will be discontinued or new model will be released (less likely). On plus side BRV has great Petrol engine, but the second row seats were such a turnoff that did not even consider taking test ride.

Also, looked at City, didn't took a TD as was turned off by two things. At 5ft 11" my head was touching the roof at the back, couldn't even squeeze a hand between my head and the roof, the same was the case with Ciaz. The second problem was fixed headrests at the back seat. Come on! fixed headrest at that level of car turned me off totally. Then came the issue of space, with car seat fitted, one of us would have to sit in the centre with no headrest even. This is the dilemma I face in having a sedan

Did have a look at XUV. We all know the pros of it but didn't took a TD. In XUV second row, felt boxed in and not comfortable, maybe due to the raised window line. Also, considering its in only Diesel the cost of ownership shoots up in Delhi/NCR region. Also heard that ride in second row is bouncy in this forum and that is where I would be spending most of the time. Oh and forgot the running costs, its not easy on the pocket.

Had a TD of Ciaz, great looker, but again lack of headroom in rear bench and the issue of running with child seat installed. Regarding engine, in the TD vehicle (2K Km run car) the petrol engine was very hesitant and not at all free revving and noisy. Whereas in Ertiga the same petrol engine was very smooth and refined. Did TD of Scross diesel too and engine is a DUD as compared to Honda Diesel, don't know how Maruti fixes the same engine in even premium and big cars. Really need to push the pedal to get it going and is very noisy and clattery, don't know why Honda gets all the flak about engine noise. To put it into perspective, TATA Tiago 3 pot diesel is better performing than Scross in terms of smoothness, acceleration, noise and refinement.

Here are my pros and cons of the car types:

MUV: No head turner, but good space. Better ride quality than Sedan. Option of Petrol. Low cost of ownership
      SUV: Good Looks + Space, should have better road handling. Only Diesel option. High cost of ownership
      Sedan: Tight fit on space, but great looker and better mileage. Worse ride quality and bad road handling than the other two.

So please suggest, which kind of car I should go for and any other models I should consider.

PS: Didn't consider Marrazo as Mahindra is known for beta testing its new vehicles on customer and looking at all the hack jobs in Marrazo (cramped engine bay + Transverse fixed engine+ body frame with monocoque with front wheel drive) there is lots which can go wrong, so its better to err on the side of caution.
      Some of my Threads:
      https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?24908-My-WOWA-Waterless-Wash-amp-Wax-Experiment
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25158-Sunday-Detailing-my-Honda-Amaze
      http://gearheads.in/showthread.php?25582-The-Battle-of-Waxes

Looking forward to some long
      drives

Awesome

coolash - Good problem to have. From the list, I would actually look at the Ertiga. The new Eritga is very comfortable and a sorted out car in terms of Ride Quality and Space (Head, knee, luggage).

If you fix a car seat, the middle seat will always be a bit compromised with 3 at the back, unless you go for huge cars. But my wife found it comfortable in my Brezza even with Child seat installed.
      2012 Cruze Eco 1.4Turbo ... Commuter Car

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      You've ruled out the Marrazo - that's what I was going to suggest.

You can wait and have a look at Tata Harrier also - expected to be a good car with lots of bells and whistles. Duster, Terrano can fit in your budget and give you good second row seating. When you say 4+1, are you including the driver? if not, then fitting driver+4+baby car seat will be a challenge in any car and one person has to go to third row. In that case, compact SUVs should be ruled out.

How do you like TUV300 and Renault Lodgy?

If you want to be driven royally - look at Safari Storme

Last - other options if compact SUV works for you : Nexon, Brezza,.

If I am in the market - I'll really be interested in Marrazo. saw this car in person and liked everything it had to offer.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      When you say 4+1, are you including the driver
      yes driver included

If you want to be driven royally - look at Safari Storme
      Can't live with the niggles honda has spoiled me in that department + low resale value + higher running cost

How do you like TUV300
      I looked at TUV 300 when checking out XUV, the second row seating is even below Ertiga standards + side facing rear seats are a deal breaker.

If I am in the market - I'll really be interested in Marrazo. saw this car in person and liked everything it had to offer.
      But I somehow cringe whenever I see it's engine bay.

Also, one major factor in NCR is the 10 year diesel life, consider this in Ertiga diesel is 1.4 Lacs expensive + around 1 lac additional loss I will face at the time of resale in case of diesel car vs petrol car and somehow the maths dosent add up in favour of diesel
      Some of my Threads:
      https://gearheads.in/showthread.php?24908-My-WOWA-Waterless-Wash-amp-Wax-Experiment

Looking forward to some long
      drives

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by coolash View Post
      But I somehow cringe whenever I see it's engine bay.
      Well.. Thats why they have the sheet of metal over it
      2012 Cruze Eco 1.4Turbo ... Commuter Car

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Go for Creta or Ecosport, both have good suspensions, proven platforms with little to no niggles

Ecosport is a bit sportier to drive but legroom is on the poorer side but the seats have fabulous underthigh support. Im 6 ft 3 and my parents are also tall, we find it very comfortable other than the small boot

Creta has a soft suspension and is a bit pricey but its a safe bet and wont give issues

I wouldnt advice Harrier or Marazzo since they are new launches and Tata and Mahindra have a habit of fixing niggles in 2nd/3rd revisions of their cars or sometimes never
      My brother's XUV is proof of that, he's planning on selling it soon to upgrade

Kia is also bringing a few offerings and so is Hyundai (Carlino)

Ertiga should also be alright but its Heartect based, so maybe Brezza or S Cross are better options frankly
      Heard the new 1.5 diesel and petrol plants are coming soon across lineup

Hungry

From your requirement, I think you need
      • Petrol Engine
      • 5 people can sit comfortably
      • Good head space + leg space
      • Chauffeur driven

My options are
      New Vehicles
      • Renault Lodgy
      • Ertiga
      • Nissan Sunny
      • Toyota Etios
      • Brezza
      • Marazzo (There may be niggles but Mahindra would be quick in rectifying them)

Not in list
      • Ecosport - Tight on leg room
      • Creta - Catastrophic effect
      • XUV - stiff suspension

Pre worshipped Vehicles options
      • Toyota Innova
      • Skoda Superb
      • Toyota Corolla / Altis

Awesome

Don't discount the Marazzo. Its really spacious and comfortable. Initial cost maybe high but it returns very good FE which will absorb the costs.

A second, Very close option would be New Ertiga.

What a CAR?

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by s13 View Post

• Marazzo (There may be niggles but Mahindra would be quick in rectifying them)

• Skoda Superb
      coolash.. Superb is excellent. But unsure on the maintenance pieces. Skoda is giving good warrant which should cover up for the cost; but I have not read nor seen the fine print. You can look at it.
      Marazzo is not a vehicle to be discounted. A well packaged one. And an excellent MPV if chauffeur driven.
      Bitten by Linea Bug.... Now enjoying the MJD. Navigating with Sygic in Z1.

Awesome

ok based on popular demand, Ill have a look at Marazzo.
      Some of my Threads:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information