• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini SUV or Crossover or Hatchback on Steroids!!! - The story of a Vitara Brezza ZDI

Good cars take you to Point A
      to point B; Great cars, Well
      they just lead you into
      trouble. I own one.

Secret

Congratulations krish for the new ride.
      Wishing happy miles!

Looking forward to some long
      drives

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoose View Post
      Congratulations on the new car krish and welcome back.
      Thanks Mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
      Welcome Back

Congratulations on your new car.

Looks like you are going to be one more Mallu, living in Bengaluru and driving KL registered vehicle

OR your work place is now in KL ?

Drive Safe.
      For the time being, I'm one more mallu driving in KA with KL Regd car. From my history, I first came to Bangalore in 2008, but have actually stayed here for only 4 years and that too with breaks.
      2012 Cruze Eco 1.4Turbo ... Commuter Car

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by krish View Post
      Unfortunately, it's not configurable. Apparently it's going to be mandatory on all cars sometime this year.
      It is 150kmph for XUV, but thankfully it sounds lot more melodious than a warning sound.

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Congrats Krish on your new acquistion. Thats a good choice, basically from what I have read the best built Maruti on roads currently. Suprised at your statement about less boot space. What went against the Duster? How is the ride quality, Bangalore roads are becoming worse day by day.

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      It is 150kmph for XUV, but thankfully it sounds lot more melodious than a warning sound.
      This beep thing is a new Govt mandated policy of a beep every minute once we cross 80 and continuous beep when we cross 120.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

drives

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
      Suprised at your statement about less boot space. What went against the Duster? How is the ride quality
      Thanks Rajesh.

Boot space is 320ltrs and the sides are scooped out to fit in some additional stuff after filling the main space. Wheel wells don't jut in. I appreciate the design and their thoughts in it. But, for serious luggage carrying, I would have preferred 450-500ltrs space, which the Duster gives. I did miss that extra space when I moved from Cochin to Trivandrum to Bangalore and then within Bangalore.

Duster AWD smashes the Brezza when it comes to
      - Space
      - Gearshift quality
      - Ride Quality (Asolutely brilliant)
      - Gear Ratios. It's got a well sorted ratio to crawl in city or get upto some serious speeds.
      - Armrest. Better placed and more comfortable.

What went against it is
      - Lack of dead pedal. My feet felt cramped.
      - Ergonimics. It was just way off for me. If I set the seat and steering to where I want, ingress and egress becomes a pain on my knee. AC buttons were too low. Entertainment module was too low, some buttons were placed without much thought in it.
      - Lack of storage space inside the vehicle. Bottle holders were too far away and not as plenty as the Brezza. My car always runs stuffed and Duster just didn't have enough of those.
      - Clutch and steering. Its just too heavy in Duster to make it comfortable in tough traffic conditions. Brezza's is feather light and the steering felt great at highway speeds as well.
      - Seats - The Brezza seats are just perfect for me. The right amount of support and firmness. Duster felt a little off, specially on underthigh support.
      - All the reviews pointed out consistent issues with its injectors, suspension etc. My life is already filled, I don't have space and time to run behind niggles.
      - Interiors - Just looks better laid out on the Brezza

I would enjoy the Duster for one-off drives, but as a daily car where I have to spend a lot of time, the Brezza just felt better.

Ride quality for Brezza is somewhere between a Swift and an Ertiga. Tire pressure is very important. Dealer had filled the tires to 36psi. I reduced it to 31 (30 felt too low) and its got an acceptable ride. Not too harsh, neither does it filter out the road imperfections or eat potholes for lunch & dinner

drives

Awesome

Early Impressions

The Brezza has been driven for around 1800kms now. This time has been spent in City, KL highways, Inter-state run from TVM Ė BLR and within BLR city. Itís a good time to review how the Brezza has been so far.

Exteriors

The Brezza looks old school compared to other vehicles in India, but I kind of dig that look. My tastes are kind of bland and the Brezza fits that bill well. Grey colour also hides the girth of the vehicle compared to lighter colours.

The sheet metal looks to be a thicker gauge than the usual Maruti stuff and it also shows in the Gross Weight of the vehicle. The paint quality looks good, but I have to see how well it ages. Panel gaps are HUGE!!! I guess, Iíve not seen like big a gap even on old TATA vehicles. See this!!! It might be another thoughtful design by Maruti to allow cats to chase rats which try to get into car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190101_125942.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	234614

Name:	IMG_20190101_125927.jpg 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	234615

The doors open in multiple stages, which I like. One has to use some force to close the doors and the hatch door as well. Itís getting easier now, but was very hard in the beginning. Maruti's way of making locks hard to show build quality!!

The car lacks badging except for 2 huge chrome strips in front and back and DDIS sticker on the sides. I love this simplicity of reducing badges, but the chrome strips could have been made thinner. I might consider blackening it out. Not sure how well itíll go with the Grey car.

Alloys are black and the car comes shod with Apollo 215/60 R16 tyres and they do a decent job. I will stick to these till they wear off. I already managed to scratch one of the alloys on a near invisible block of concrete at a turning to my company accommodation in Bellandur. The first scratch is always good, so Iím not bothered.

Overall, the car looks decent and fits the Mini-SUV tag they want to give this vehicle.

Interiors

This is the first Maruti Iíve sat in since 2013 (that was Venbabís Swift VDi). The interiors looked brilliant at first glance. Black interiors with simple accents made it the perfect cabin for me. A world apart from the old Marutiís. I then realized that all parts are shared with Baleno, Ciaz, S-Cross (from what I saw). Not a bad thing, coz the industry always tries to optimize costs.

The only flimsy parts Iíve seen are the Trip Meter stalk and MID Stalk. They feel like they would break anytime. Since its rarely used after the initial period, its fine. The same stalks on the Ciaz are well built. Guess itís the Nexa difference.

Mirror adjustment buttons and the top silver panel on the doors also wobble a bit. Other parts and buttons looks and feels good. It didnít feel low rent even compared to my brotherís Honda City. Maybe Honda quality has come down?? !!!

There is enough space for knick-knacks and bottles all over the cabin. A slot holder for tickets or change, ticket holder on the sun visor and 2 passenger side gloveboxes. I think it also has passenger side under-seat storage or maybe Iím just dreaming.

The seats are firm and have good under-thigh support. Firm seats are great for long distance travel and reduces fatigue over long drives. The rear seats have a center arm-rest, can do a 60-40 fold and the rear seat can be pulled out in an interesting way to make the loading area flat for additional luggage. See pic!!! The rear seats are a bit too straight for most people, though my mom and dad felt comfortable and they are people with bad backs.

Name:	IMG_20190103_205828.jpg 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	234618

Name:	IMG_20190103_205425.jpg 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	234619

The driver side seat adjustments are good and I didnít miss the lack the lumbar adjustment. Iíve set it at the lowest for now, but thatís still a pretty high seating position. Even short people wonít have trouble with visibility. Visibility is definitely a strong point of the Brezza. Maruti does know how to make a car fit for an average Indian.

The footwell is also very generous with a proper dead pedal. Makes it very comfortable over long drives and even in the city.

There is no rear AC Vent even in Zdi+, which is a miss from Maruti. The AC is pretty powerful though, and keeping it at 24C was enough to beat the heat and humidity of Cochin. The Auto AC keeps blowing fan at higher speeds for some more time after the passengers are chilled and one has to manually decrease the fan speed. Guess, it wants to give a hill station feel for the passengers??!!

The steering wheel is a bit disappointing. It is very thin and doesnít fit the feel of the car. I initially asked them not to fit the free steering cover, but after feeling the steering, I had to ask for the common steering cover which they provide. Have now got used to the low-rent steering cover. Look at the pic, it looks tacky as much as it feels. The steering also lacks telescopic adjustment, but thatís the norm for most cars at this price range. Am I asking for more though?

Name:	IMG_20190103_193835.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	234616

The MID lights can be adjusted and different colours can be chosen. But only one colour (Orange) syncs with the other button lights in the car and hence Iíve kept it at Orange. Unless all the button lights change colour, this will remain a gimmick. I guess the ZDI+ gets adjustable footwell illumination as well, but this needs confirmation.

Name:	IMG_20181231_204003.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	973.8 KB 
ID:	234617

The ergonomics of the vehicle is spot on for me. All Marutiís Iíve been in have felt just right. Either Iím just lucky to be of a particular body specification which fits Marutiís design or they have designed the vehicle well for the average Indian body. Iíve felt this way about Fordís as well, so it might just be a ME!!!

Overall, Iíve happy with whatís offered by the Brezza.

A well oiled machine

Awesome

Blog Entries
      Congratulations krish. Wish you a happy ownership.

Unfortunately, it's not configurable. Apparently it's going to be mandatory on all cars sometime this year.
      That'll be a big annoyance. I guess the tuners will be able to hack the setting. Not sure if it is programmed in the ECU.
      Winners don't quit. Quitters don't win.

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Early Impressions
      Nice writeup No Frills car seemed to be designed for the average Indian car buyer who wants these compact SUVs. No wonder this outsells both Ecosport and Nexon combined together.

Maybe Honda quality has come down?? !!!
      Yea, I have been reading that Honda's recent products have very bad build quality here.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

drives

Awesome

Thumbs up Daily life with the Brezza

Iíve driven the Brezza close to 2000kms now, with a KL highway drive and an interstate drive between all the city drives.

The Brezza is an easy vehicle to drive in the city. The visibility is great, due to a good high seating position, straight A-Piilars, decent rear visibility and good rear view mirrors. Reversing is also easy with the help of Reverse sensors. The only problem while reversing is that the music doesnít reduce volume while shifting onto reverse gear. This would have been ideal. Now I have to remember to mute it or reduce the volume. Both of these can also be done with the steering mounted controls. Not ideal, but yeah, it works.

The ride quality is slightly stiff, which might have been done to minimize the body roll. It crashes through the big potholes, but manages to smoothen out the smaller ones. One has to drive carefully over big potholes to keep the passengers in comfort. The ride quality might also be helped by the Apollo Alnac 215/6 R16 tyres. Iím glad that for once a Maruti car isnít under-tyred. The tyres might last long considering they seem to be made of a pretty firm compound. There is adequate grip for the power the vehicle provides and the road noise isnít bad. Some dampening should reduce the NVH a lot and make it better on highways. In the long run, Iíll get a better idea on how good or bad they are. The body roll is well contained on the vehicle, but it canít be thrown around like a hatchback.

The steering is almost perfect to what I want from a car. Light in the city, and weighs up well in highways. This ensures that the steering doesnít get tiring on long city drives and also isnít too sensitive and fiddly at highway speeds. The stock steering is too thin though and a good steering cover is recommended. The old Ford Fiestaís steering remains my favorite though in terms of size and feedback.

The gearing ratios are quite ok. In City speeds, one has to keep shifting between 2nd and 1st (if the speeds go too low). There are a lot of shifts required to keep the car moving smoothly. Here again, the old Ford Fiesta gearing is my favourite. On the KL highway, the ratios felt good as speeds are on the lower side and 80kmph on 5th was a pleasant drive. The limitations of this gearbox are felt on the faster TN highways, where the lack of 6th gear really hits you hard. The engine is literally screaming at 100kmph. A good sound dampening in the car should reduce the NVH levels and itís something on my radar, but the lack of 6th gear can never be overcome. Itís surprising that Maruti doesnít give a 6 speed gearbox even on the Ciaz or S-Cross!!!
      The gear shifts are good. Not too short a throw (compared to Fiesta), but neither is it long (compared to my old Getz). The gears slot in nicely. The reverse gear is the only problem and doesnít slot in correctly at all times. The usual Maruti way or shifting to 1st and then reverse works consistently.

Mileage Ė Kitna Deta Hai!!! Marutiís over the years have been good here. The Brezza is also good at these numbers.

In Cochin and Bangalore City, it gives me 13.5kmpl on MID (13.2 real figures)
      On KL Highways, with max speed at 80kmph and most driving happening on 3rd and 4th gears, it gave me 22.1kmpl on MID (20kmpl real fig)
      On Interstate trip to Bangalore (inc in-city) it gave me 19.2kmpl on MID (17.4 real figures). On long runs, the mileage drops drastically at speeds above 80kmpl. Here again, the lack of 6th gear seems to be the issue.

Comfort in city and on highways is top-notch and I didnít feel any fatigue after a 12hr drive to Bangalore. On my earlier Getz, I used to have neck stiffness and a sore ass after long drives. I used to drive faster on the Getz, but the suspension setup and the seats on the Getz were simply bad comfort wise!!!

The music system on the Brezza is a major dud. When I first heard music on it, it felt horrible. After experiencing decent stock systems on my cars in the US, this was a major letdown. After listening to it for a month, itís quite ok now. But an upgrade is on top of my mind.

The interface is also very old school. Itís very hard to navigate around. I still havenít got the hang of scrolling through my contacts or even redialling the last dialled number, how to pause music etc!!! A touchscreen system with a good output is on my list of upgrades along with a speaker upgrade. Have to find time and connect with the audio gurus to fix up on a reasonably priced upgrade. Iím not audiophile, so not planning to spend big bucks on this either.

Overall, there are some things which could be better and there are lot of strong areas for the Brezza. I can totally understand why it sells in the numbers it does.

Brezza - Thumbs Up !!

drives

Awesome

3M Acoustics Solution

During the highway drives, I felt the NVH levels in the Brezza were a bit high. I was looking to reduce it and had 2 options. Go for damping or 3M Acoustics Solution.

I went for 3M Acoustics Solution since it seemed simpler, with enough damping for my requirements. I found a 3M Car Care in Electronics City, which meant that its near my home and office. This is a small center in a building within the HP Petrol Bunk near HCL, Elec City. There were 3-4 workers, one owner and one manager.

Name:	IMG_20190214_131135.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	234986

The Acoustic Solution consists of some Vibration Dampeners, which are metal pieces which they insert into the doors and some Sound Absorbents which they fix onto the gaps in the door. This is done on all 4 doors and the hatch door as well. The workers had a tough time removing the door pads from the vehicle. Maruti has put a lot of locks on the doors to keep it firm. I guess, this is the firmest pads I've seen on a Maruti.

Some pics that I took.

Before the Work Started

Name:	IMG_20190214_132607.jpg 
Size:	333.9 KB 
ID:	234988

Vibration Dampeners

Name:	IMG_20190214_133213.jpg 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	234987

Fixing them inside the door

Name:	IMG_20190214_133040.jpg 
Size:	260.8 KB 
ID:	234989

Sound Absorbers

Name:	IMG_20190214_134419.jpg 
Size:	268.8 KB 
ID:	234990

Completed Look

Name:	IMG_20190214_151723.jpg 
Size:	306.4 KB 
ID:	234991

The work was completed in around 3.5 hours. The total cost came to Rs 6418/-.

The NVH levels have become much better. Only the engine noise creeps in now, though it has reduced a bit. I guess that would need setting up some damping between the engine bay and the body. Music can be heard clearly even at volume level 8 at highway speeds. I had to increase them to 12 or 13 during my earlier drives.

Now, the drawback of doing this is that the quality of the stock speakers have come to the fore. It's plain horrible. There is hardly any clarity in the music. Guess, its time for an upgrade!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information