• Secret
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4x4 related queries and options

love my country and love my
      vehicles

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Akash_18 View Post
      Well for the restoration thread, you all have to wait
      I am used to waiting.....you can see my thread on my Willys here Willys 1956 lhd 4x4 (petrol hurricane)...finally

Drive like you stole it.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      Well. Waiting and age only makes us older. Some of Us had To wait ages to get a proper 4x4. Some got earlier.
      I'll say. Go for it. Take a friend along. Mayapuri is quite dangerous. You better check everything before you buy.

MM550 has its own charm and presence. If that pulls your heart, go for it.
      The benefit of Gypsy is that You can get MGA parts, and spares for these engines will be available for 10+ Years atleast. You can also get hard top and retrofit AC in it.
      Thank you for the information bhvm. Mayapuri has been like a second home to me since I shifted to Noida. My best friend's mama has a shop there and I have visited his shop more than any other place These two guys, my best friend and his mama were the only ones who supported my 4x4 dream.

Quote Originally Posted by vehfreak View Post
      Well its a JEEP thing...not many will understand!!!
      Well said vehfreak. Only a person who knows what a true 4x4 is capable of will help me out.

Go for it....its one hell of a machine(I know it)
      MM550 shows the real and the devil side of what Mahindra is capable of. The only fear which I have for MM550 is that even if I am able to get a year 99 or 2000 model of MM550 it would be disposed in 2014 or 2015 respectively. And a vehicle standing in Mayapuri since 5 or 6 years can lead to troubles and that too serious troubles. And getting all the parts which came with it will be a mammoth task. And what about the registration issues of ex-army vehicles and that too in Delhi NCR where diesel and petrol vehicles are banned if they are older than 10 and 15 years respectively?

Will connect you with the right people...some are treasure for the life time. And am happy to see a budding 4x4 enthusiast...I can feel the butterflies in your stomach...all I can say is....Man....welcome!!
      All help is welcome sir. Anything and everything is welcome. Yes vehfreak there are a lot of butterflies in my stomach and currently only they are planning abouth the mods and repairs needed
      Last edited by Akash_18; 5th Feb 2019 at 23:34.

Drive like you stole it.

Awesome

I am used to waiting.....you can see my thread on my Willys here Willys 1956 lhd 4x4 (petrol hurricane)...finally
      Read it already sir. I have read more than 70-80 different threads on restoration of these vintage kind of jeeps. I am studying about all this since past 11-12 months. Gearheads, Team BHP and some more forums helped me in getting all the knowledge for restoring a old 4x4. Yours and bhvm's were one of the first threads I came across on Gearheads.

vehicles

Awesome

what about the registration issues of ex-army vehicles
      AFAIK...the Army disposal vehicles are registered afresh- thats for 15 years. Ask your Mayapuri friend, he will connect you to the right person at Mayapuri(they know everything...the good ,the bad, the ugly). While going for the vehicle bear in mind the date of "LOT LIFTING"(WHEN AND ON WHAT DATE THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN LIFTED FROM DEPOT) this will tell you the period it has been sitting in Mayapuri. Another Information- Army vehicles are disposed off on two criteria- 1 Lakh kms+ and 10 years of service, without which a vehicle is not sentenced class V(5) or in other words....u can say Beyond Economic Repair).
      Anything and everything is welcome
      keep us posted...surely you will get all the help required....trust me...don't listen to the FNG wala, specially about Jeeps, they know nothing barring a few...In my case the battle has been all alone...still collecting the spares for going into complete restoration. So am happy to help always!!

Drive like you stole it.

Awesome

the Army disposal vehicles are registered afresh- thats for 15 years.
      Well this statement will help me convince my family for getting an ex-army vehicle. My dad, being from Naval background knows that how these cars have been used and was strictly against them till I slowly convinced him that we can get them rebuilt. Then his another tension was registration, I told him and again it took me a time of 6 months to prove them that the rules have changed and ex-army vehicles can be re-registered.

While going for the vehicle bear in mind the date of "LOT LIFTING"(WHEN AND ON WHAT DATE THE VEHICLE HAS BEEN LIFTED FROM DEPOT)
      How can we get to know about the lot lifting date? Is it written somewhere on the vehicle, documents or I have to ask it from the dealer?

Another Information- Army vehicles are disposed off on two criteria- 1 Lakh kms+ and 10 years of service, without which a vehicle is not sentenced class V(5) or in other words....u can say Beyond Economic Repair).
      yes, I know that the vehicles are disposed after a particular time period or kms or major failures.

keep us posted...surely you will get all the help required....trust me...don't listen to the FNG wala, specially about Jeeps, they know nothing barring a few...In my case the battle has been all alone...still collecting the spares for going into complete restoration. So am happy to help always!!
      I never trust any mechanic or workshops with any of my vehicles due to few incidents which happened in the past. Anyone from my family or circle usually supervises all the work. Best of luck for your restoration vehfreak. And tell me one thing, are you easily able to find basic spares for your cj3b?

vehicles

Awesome

Is it written somewhere on the vehicle, documents
      The issue voucher issued in the name of of buyer who has lifted the lot, the date is mentioned.
      Best of luck for your restoration vehfreak.
      thanks

are you easily able to find basic spares for your cj3b?
      well yes and no ...both. yes as all and each spare is available online but very expensive, plus few old shops have some lying in there shop...have to dig and dig. No as no one manufactures now. However I have been able to get quite a lot of spares which I need.
      My dad, being from Naval background
      Great...convey my Jai Hind.

Drive like you stole it.

Awesome

Thank you for the information vehfreak. Will keep you guys updated with the progress. Will definitely convey you message to my dad.

Drive like you stole it.

Awesome

Hey gearheads
      Contacted few dealers in the last couple of days. No one of them is having a mm550 but all of them are having gypsies. The lowest quote given by them for a scrap gypsy is 1.2 lakhs including registration. I think it is quite high considering it is not in working condition and will at least take 1-1.5 lakh rupees and 3-4 months time for completing the restoration. What should be done guys? Search for mm550 is still going on in Mayapuri as well but my friend's mama had some family emergencies so he is busy. I can't go to mayapuri as my boards are coming. So till then I am trying to know more about gypsies and workshops for them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information