• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 related queries and options

Drive like you stole it.

Awesome

4x4 related queries and options

Hey Gearheads.

Since long I had a dream of owning a 4x4 but it all died when my dad bought the Terrano instead of our family's choice of Safari.
      It all started again when dad said that we will need another car when I turn 18 as my college will be around 70kms from my home. That makes approx 140kms a day. The maximum budget given by him is 3 lakh and I am still not sure weather I should take a SUV or not. But still 2 options considered by me are as follows :-

1. Maruti Gypsy King 1.3 MPFI
      I really love this car for the character it offers. The car is like a blank canvas and has great scope for modifications (that will be in future for sure). I have many dealers in my area which sell ex army gypsies which are already rebuilt like it used to come in stock and can be re-registered for a period of 15 years with an asking price of around 2.5 lakhs. The only con of gypsy, that too in my case, is the poor FE which will make the running costs higher.

2. MM550 4x4
      Mahindra is a totally new field for me as till now there was none in my family and have never seen a Jeep that close. I would prefer the ex army jeep as it can be re-registered and can be used for a period of 10 years. I have no idea weather it is even possible to get an ex army version or not but that's just a preference. As it is a diesel, the FE will also be slightly better than the gypsy.

Options such as the used Scorpios/Safaris are not considered as diesel vehicles older than 10 years will not ply in Delhi NCR. the legal life of the vehicle is of major concern as the route I will be doing is Noida-Delhi-Gurugram-Manesar-Tauru. Used Thar/D-max/Xenon were not considered as they overshoot the budget.

I would request all the JEEP gurus and 4x4 experts to help me out with the problems I am facing.

Thanks in advance.

love my country and love my
      vehicles

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Akash_18 View Post
      I had a dream of owning a 4x4 but it all died
      let the dream be sleeping rather than being dead....thats what will be wise. Having said that.....The bug of 4x4 has bitten you and sooner or later you will buy a 4x4 for sure(No one knows better than me...LOL)
      The maximum budget given by him is 3 lakh and I am still not sure weather I should take a SUV or not.
      You will get an SUV in this budget for sure....but since you have to drive 140 KMs a day...reliability will be an issue considering Delhi NCR traffic(every now and then you will be there in your FNG.....trust me on this, the more you drive a 4x4 vehicle the more you want...and more accessories ...and more upgrades as you get into the elite group of 4x4 enthusiasts and it becomes a never ending quest or thirst)
      But still 2 options considered by me are as follows
      My take on this is...unless you yourself have good technical knowledge....don't indulge in something you have no idea about(sorry for being rude...but thats how it is!)
      Now coming on to-

1. Maruti Gypsy King 1.3 MPFI
      PROS- Reliable, easy availability of spares and cheap, better service still available in MASS, easy repair in FNG, upgrade friendly last but not the least....That OOMPH or X factor
      CONS- fuel economy, production has stopped.
      A Gypsy if rebuilt properly can serve the purpose. Since you are aiming at Army auction one you may(will) need engine overhaul and cosmetic changes to make it reliable and reasonably presentable else keep going to FNG or MASS.

2. MM550 4x4
      PROS- Robust built, capable off roader,
      around 2.5 lakhs
      well....heres the catch....its actually on a very higher side....what you get is just JUGAAD with local spare parts, same engine with may be new rings installed and it is just made road worthy(drool worthy) to attract Gypsy bug bitten lads like you. Instead ask him to give you the Gypsy as it came in auction (which he may not...as it reduces his profits) but you can try and bargain heavily....an auction vehicle on an average cost around 60-70k to a dealer(now you can work out the economics) even if u pay around 1-1.25 lac...its still good bargain and spend another lakh on it in MASS(buy spares from market but only MGP) and save at least 50-75k that you can use in fuel
      Now apart from all I have said above heres what I would recommend- Buy a used Fiat Punto diesel and you will love it and thank me for the advice(if 4x4 bug becomes dormant....let it be dormant....you can peacefully concentrate on studies...and later go all out for 4x4...world is your)

Fun to be fast :D

Awesome

I will agree with the above as well. Please look at anything else like swift , Punto etc . Any modern car will be comfortable and economic than gypsy or mm540

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Drive like you stole it.

Awesome

Sorry for the late reply. Was busy with practicals
      I know that any modern diesel car will serve me well for my daily usage but the battle between my mind and heart is real. As I am 17 right now, many people will think that this is adrenaline rush and all that but I am that kind of guy who would prefer a pre 2000 Mahindra, where my friends will be going for Hondas and Skodas.

I know all the pros and cons of having an ex-army 4x4 and it is the only one which will fit in my budget. My family will not let me buy a hatchback, as the hatchback genes in my family will end with the going of the Santro 2006 we own. Mom has already finalized Creta and dad is happy with his Terrano. If I am not able to use the Jeep/gypsy for my daily driving, I will get a used Pulsar 150/180 and use it for daily purposes. The 4x4 will be used by me on vacations and for some off roading.

I think this way I will be able to solve both the issues I am facing and the heart and mind battle can be sorted out.

Fun to be fast :D

Awesome

Then go ahead with your dreams enjoy when you can. Get a gypsy and build it to your heart's content.

the dream to own such a machine still remains a distant dream for me! Wishing you all the best and do start a ownership thread soon

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

vehicles

Awesome

This 4x4 bug....and specially....those vintage kinda one.....too DANGEROUS. I second your thoughts Akash_18.....go ahead before u get married just live your dream of owning a 4x4 beast, not many will understand this statement, I had to wait for good almost 20 plus years (before wife said...YES) to own my dream an all original WILLYS CJ3B LHD 4X4....JA SIMRAN (AKASH_18) JA...JEE LEY APNI ZINDAGI. Jokes apart....WELCOME to 4x4 club...eagerly waiting for your restoration thread.

Drive like you stole it.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by naveen2cool View Post
      Then go ahead with your dreams enjoy when you can. Get a gypsy and build it to your heart's content.the dream to own such a machine still remains a distant dream for me! Wishing you all the best and do start a ownership thread soon
      Thank you for your inspirational words naveen2cool.
      Quote Originally Posted by bhvm View Post
      My Journey-Bitten By the 4x4 Bug. Now I want one.
      I have already read it bhvm, and it is one of the most recent threads I have studied on 4x4s
      Quote Originally Posted by vehfreak View Post
      This 4x4 bug....and specially....those vintage kinda one.....too DANGEROUS. I second your thoughts Akash_18.....go ahead before u get married just live your dream of owning a 4x4 beast, not many will understand this statement, I had to wait for good almost 20 plus years (before wife said...YES) to own my dream an all original WILLYS CJ3B LHD 4X4....JA SIMRAN (AKASH_18) JA...JEE LEY APNI ZINDAGI. Jokes apart....WELCOME to 4x4 club...eagerly waiting for your restoration thread.
      Thank you for your DDLJ style motivation vehfreak. These words have fallen on me like raindrops in summer as everyone whom I have told about my plans told me that i am crazy. Yeah, I know i am crazy cause I have never seen any guy of my age or even a few years older than me thinking about getting these kind of vehicles and restoring them to their former glory.Well for the restoration thread, you all have to wait as I have to finalize a vehicle first. The only place in my area, where I can find a mm550 or mm540 is Mayapuri. I have no clue about the availability of ex-army mahindras in Delhi. And for the gypsies there are a hell lot of dealers with price ranging from a lakh to 3 lakhs.I need your opinions for which vehicle to choose older Mahindra or the gypsies. My first preference is and always be a MM550. Information about spares, workshops, ride qualities, etc is most welcome.Thanks in advance.

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Well. Waiting and age only makes us older. Some of Us had To wait ages to get a proper 4x4. Some got earlier.
      I'll say. Go for it. Take a friend along. Mayapuri is quite dangerous. You better check everything before you buy.

MM550 has its own charm and presence. If that pulls your heart, go for it.
      The benefit of Gypsy is that You can get MGA parts, and spares for these engines will be available for 10+ Years atleast. You can also get hard top and retrofit AC in it.

vehicles

Awesome

everyone whom I have told about my plans told me that i am crazy. Yeah, I know i am crazy
      Well its a JEEP thing...not many will understand!!!
      mm550 or mm540 is Mayapuri.
      I would say you are lucky that you are close to Mayapuri...those who know how to fish, Mayapuri is the place.
      My first preference is and always be a MM550
      Go for it....its one hell of a machine(I know it)

Information about spares, workshops, ride qualities
      Will connect you with the right people...some are treasure for the life time. And am happy to see a budding 4x4 enthusiast...I can feel the butterflies in your stomach...all I can say is....Man....welcome!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information