• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: HID vs LED, which one should I go for?

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

HID vs LED, which one should I go for?

Hi guys,
      I want to install fog lamp projectors solely because the main halogen headlight seems inadequate.

Car: Maruti Suzuki baleno Delta 1.2

I was given two options

LED
      1. IPHcar 3.0" projectors
      2.TC-x LED H11 kit (25w i guess?)

HID
      1. IPHcar 3.0" projectors
      2. IPHcar xenon bulbs
      3. TC-x ballast 55w

Note: Wiring harness is charged extra

LED setup is more expensive by around 1k unless i go for Nighteye 35w H11 COB(which will make it cheaper)

With LED setup, I'll get instant highbeam (good for flashing) at full intensity meanwhile the HID takes some time to warmup. I'm not sure which one will provide superior performance.

Also, i want to install two separate switches for high/low beam, what do i need for this kind of operation? Relay?

Thoughts?
      Last edited by ChairmanSaab; 14th Mar 2019 at 20:38.

Learning each day

Awesome

Go for HID as it will come at correct temp and you can also install 3000k during heavy fog weather if needed.

Instant high beam flash from fog location is quite useless.

And at night when your HID bulb is already ignited, there is no difference between 'instant' of HID vs LED

Why need seperate switch for low beam fog. Doesnt your car have stock fog switch ?

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

Learning each day

Awesome

Also a 35W ballast will be enough and will ensure longer life of projector. Since it's sealed, prefer 35W for it. And it's more than adequate.

By the way which car ?

Awesome

Sorry, I've now included the name of my car in the main post.

No, the car doesn't have any dedicated switch or wiring harness pre-installed, i'm going to install Maruti OEM foglight switch (two of them for high/lo beam).

I'm afraid the seller may not offer 35w ballast with the kit, I'll talk to him about it anyway.

Learning each day

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanSaab View Post
      Sorry, I've now included the name of my car in the main post.

No, the car doesn't have any dedicated switch or wiring harness pre-installed, i'm going to install Maruti OEM foglight switch (two of them for high/lo beam).

I'm afraid the seller may not offer 35w ballast with the kit, I'll talk to him about it anyway.
      Who is the seller ? TCX is provided by Blaze India IIRC or maybe XenonPlanet might also be sourcing it from BI.

Buy what is right, not what seller is selling.

Awesome

I'll be buying from Blaze India.

The car is run very less, it's just used for outstation trips to visit relatives and stuff ala highway cruising 98% of the time. We avoid traveling during fog or night unless we're stuck in traffic and it gets dark. So the real usage will be like 4-5 hours a year. I'll be installing it as a precaution, it's not really necessary to be honest. That's why I'm looking for a cost-effective solution that doesn't tinker with car's warranty or wiring.

So according to my aforementioned requirements, don't you still I'll be fine with 6500k LEDs? I'm from Punjab btw! Winters are quite foggy here but we dodge them by postponing out plans!

Buy what is right, not what seller is selling.
      Roger that!

Oh, if you've any other lightning solution, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

Learning each day

Awesome

Confused as you want a cheaper option yet want to spend 1 k more on LED and that too 6500K.

HID is cheaper and in real world performance you need warmer color at fog position. Get 4300K HID

Awesome

My bad, actually I'm eyeing for a third option which will definitely come cheaper by about 1k than HID kit (sold for 6.9k)

That is
      1. IPHcar Fog Projectors 3.0"
      2. Nighteye H11 COB (TC-x is SDM based hence expensive)

This will come to around 6k including wiring harness, by including wiring harness for other two options, I'll be saving 2k over HID and 3k over TC-x LED setup.

I didn't know the FOG lamp position called for warmer colors, TIL. Thanks!

I trust in Bhai!

Awesome

If I may, I'd suggest taking a step back before going the Fog Lamp upgrade.
      If your requirement is to have better visibility at night, upgrading the fog lamps with existing reflectors will actually hinder your long distance visibility
      The fog lamps are positioned in such a location and angle that it will never give you enough throw irrespective of what you upgrade it to. Instead it will brighten your near vision and blind your distance vision.

The ideal option is to upgrade your headlights. Upgrading to LED does not guarantee you better throw. The whole setup (Bulb/Wiring/Reflectors/Projectors/Alignment) all make a difference.

I do not know what headlights your car comes with. Based on what you have, you could look at options on upgrading them.

Some of the headlight upgrades will not void the warranty as there will be no cutting/splicing of wires. Please research before you take the plunge.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanSaab View Post
      So according to my aforementioned requirements, don't you still I'll be fine with 6500k LEDs? I'm from Punjab btw! Winters are quite foggy here but we dodge them by postponing out plans!
      For a foggy climate 6500K will be of no use absolutely. You should get 4300K or 3400K LED's. Are you open for Aliexpress and DIY options ? There are some decent collection of LED's and you can try installing that yourself. Pretty straightforward I would say. Will be costing you 1.5-2K depending on the bulb you choose. HID's you've to get good one and I for one don't like the delay in them when Flashing.

I believe Baleno has a H4 socket with both High and Low Beam together in that.

I bought this H4 bulb for my Tiago recently and pretty happy with it. They've 4300K and 5000K options.

HLXG LED Bullb

This one is just a 4300K LED

HLXG 4300K LED

LED's unlike HID, will be plug and play and it can be fixed by ourselves. No complicated wiring harness kit or relays required. Give it a shot and its worth trying in my opinion.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Thread Information