• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morris Garrage : Hector - Launch in May 2019

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Morris Garrage : Hector - Launch in May 2019

I have been seeing advertisements of MG Hector for last few weeks but mostly ignoring it. Couldn't ignore it after seeing Doctor Stephen Benedict Strange with the red color variant in the promo. Searched here, there wasn't a thread - so though to get one created for this wonderful looking car.

Before we talk about Hector, a bit of background on MG. (Thank you Wikipedia)

Established in 1924, UK it has changed ownership multiple times in 95 years of existence. It was bought by Nanjing Automobile in July 2005 which subsequently was bought by SAIC in December 2007. It now operate a UK subsidiary, MG Motors. Essentially, it is a Chinese state owned company now and largest exporting automotive brand to UK from China. A struggling company till recently, it was turned around with some popular launches in 2013 and 2014. As of 2018, it sold 9000 cars in UK and 241000 in China.

MG's parent company owns multiple other brands, including one called Baojun. Baojun, selling almost a million cars in 2017, is quite popular in China. A particular model called Baojun 530,
      a compact crossover SUV, is sold under Chevrolet brand as the second generation Captiva in Colombia, MG brand as the Hector in India and Wuling brand as the Almaz in Indonesia.

Hector is expected to come in both petrol and Diesel options : 1.5L turbocharged petrol churning out 142bhps and a 2L multijet diesel giving you 170bhp. What has been a USP is its connected car feature with an eSIM or M2M SIM. MG is also quoted somewhere to give free data for first three years for the car. That'll be interesting to see how it works. Apparently you'd be able to unlock this car from anywhere in the world and get OTA updates for it too. With a 10.4 inch tablet right in the middle of the dash (called iSmart )- it is offering most of its control via that touch interface. It will also have 7 inch instruement cluster which will show you real time readings from TPMS (unlike XUV which only gives a green check mark if it is ok). Just like Harrier, it will come in 5 seater option and 7 seater model will be launched soon as well.

It is also expected to have segment leading sunroof and all the bells and whistles that we've been seeing in cars of this age. I am looking forward to see how it gets launched and treated in a Maruti obsessed country. Some pics from Internet below (none of there are clicked by me)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hector 1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	235870

Name:	MG-Hector-Teaser.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	235875

Name:	MG-Hector-Official-Photos.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	235871

Name:	mg-hector-suv-engine-details-1022.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	235872

Name:  Baojun 530-1547118943.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  57.1 KB
      Name:  mg-hector-suv-leaked-india-03.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  Baojun 530-1547118943.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  57.1 KB

Expected price is 15L. Considering it to be a Chinese company - I'd feel that to be a good ballpark number.

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

IMO the launch of the Hector is a milestone with the entry of the Chinese into the automobile market. Despite all the portrayal of british heritage, etc I will still consider it Chinese only . How they price it, will the quality be comparable, after sales support and servicing, etc. They do have a lot of cash to throw so maybe they can price it lower than the competition. Interesting times ahead. Also, how safe is it is a question I would like to know.
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

GearHead
      Forza Ferrari!!!

Awesome

Also, another interesting observation. The Ads are taking pains to position this as a British product, even signing up Benedict for the ad . I still regard it as a Chinese car, have not researched about how MG is doing now
      "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
      -Calvin

Dai!!!

love my country and love my
      vehicles

Awesome

MG of yesteryears...and MG of today....waiting!!!

No Commerce, Just Fun
      Rainy Days

Awesome

Morris Garage or MG is as Chinese as Jaguar Land Rover or JLR is Indian or MTR Foods is Norwegian.

Anyway I think most Indians buy cars for functional attributes, features, quality, reliability, service costs, how less risky it is to own , resale value than the origins of the company.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

I should say it was quite interesting to see how many vendors they've roped in just for this iSmart platform. The event felt more like a Apple Product launch event than a Automobile launch event Fingers crossed lets see what they've got in store. I already saw one MG Showroom being setup in Chennai just before the Hyundai Showroom before entering T. Nagar on the GST road..

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Brio SMT

Secret

Headlights and fog lights are too close to each other. May be it is just me but it looks hideous like Tata Harrier. It is good if more manufacture come here. Having more options is always good and hopefully there will be more competition.

In Bhai we Trust

Hungry

Not to mention the constant surveillance capabilities of the Ismart unit with E-Sim capability. If they price it well, the Chinese government could get eyes on every road in India (Pun intended).

I test drove it here and nothing awe-inspiring. The plastics inside were meh.. but the engine was very driveable with great power delivery.

Resale value is poor for this one here. Not many takers.

Worth 15 Lakhs? Probably not! I would price it at 12Lakhs ExS.

If i was in the market and was planning to get a XUV, i would consider this instead. Better VFM compared to the Mahindra.
      Last edited by WildWeasel; 8th Apr 2019 at 05:52.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by WildWeasel View Post
      If i was in the market and was planning to get a XUV, i would consider this instead. Better VFM compared to the Mahindra.
      Wait until the price is getting announced. Too early to call it VFM

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

In search of POWER

Hungry

I'm sure they will price is similar to Harrier/XUV. China already has eyes and ears throughout India through their smarthphones, let them have some more on the road
      2012 Cruze Eco 1.4Turbo ... Commuter Car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information