• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha vs Denon vs Marantz vs Onkyo vs NAD vs Pioneer AVRs

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Yamaha vs Denon vs Marantz vs Onkyo vs NAD vs Pioneer AVRs

Dear Gearheads, I understand this is a very generic questions - but I just wanted to pick your brain on which brand you think has more balanced and perfect AVR within a same bracket range.

Example Denon X1500W is very comparable to Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A680, Onkyo TX-RZ820 and Marantz NR1608 in terms of feature and specs. If you have to select products from similar spec range from these brands - which one you think fares best?

In general, the reviews I have read, I have seen that Yamaha sounds better for music whereas Denon is preferred more for movies. Marantz feedback is all over the place. Some like it - some not. Onkyo looks like for those who want to try the features on a budget - but very less negative reviews I could see on Onkyo.

Please suggest from your experience, which one you feel is better and also, if you own any of the products from these companies, a quick review will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Another quick question is on models of a specific brand. Lets talk about Denon - they have a habit of upgrading the model every year or other year. Current model X1500W retails for $600, but X1400W can be purchased for $270. The price variation goes really high for higher spec models. Example, Denon X4500W costs $1600, but X4400W costs $900 and X4300W costs $1200. All three models are one year apart from each other as Denon launches a refresh every year in Aug / Sep. Do these models really demand that higher price tag? Else am I good to get X1400H and be happy by saving $330? I could put that money on better speakers!

Note : I'll be buying these from US.
      Last edited by rksingh1; 11th Apr 2019 at 16:54.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by rksingh1 View Post
      better speakers!
      I would say start with the speakers.
      Then choose other stuffs which match best with your speakers.

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
      I would say start with the speakers.
      +100. You should always start with the speakers. Audition the one which you like. Each speaker will have a different signature, different tonality and different bass level.

Tip: Get you favorite and familiar tracks and audition them patiently. Don't do window shopping especially with speakers. We may tell you this speaker is good that speaker is good. But what goes well with your ears and pocket is most important.

Once you've locked in the speakers, next is to look for a suitable amp / receiver which can power them up. And then comes the codes you look for like Dolby Digital, Atmos, DTS, DTS-X, DTS-Neo, Then comes accessibility support like Wifi, BT Streaming, DLNA and what not.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Dear Lvramanan and Jack Sparrow, my purpose is to have a surround sound system at home to consume TV, movies and sports with music playback at may be 5-10% time

While a HTiB was serving my need, I do understand it's limitations. Then you all recommended to get AVR setup so my plan now is to get a future ready AVR (preferably a 7.2) with couple of Klipsch signature series or Polk Audio speakers from US along with Atmos speakers. Then get a sub and central speaker in India to complete my setup and pit everything in place by experimenting the drawing room as per Nomad's design.

I understand the need to audition and see if they suit my test, but I am hoping to start with some highly recommended ones and closing them if they work for me. I may not get lot of time to audition the speakers in US.

Plus the cost is a big hit -same AVR aren't available in India and whatever is available, is not worth it.

Currently I am eyeing the Denon X4400W 9.2 channel model. Pretty high end and will make me lose some 1000 dollars. If I do this, then I won't have money left to buy speakers. Otherwise, I can buy X1400W, 7.2 channel one for 300 dollars and spend 500 dollars for speakers from Klipsch or Polk Audio.

If I get speakers first, I won't have any receiver to plug in yo and use them. I am going US end of the month.

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

If I get speakers first, I won't have any receiver to plug in yo and use them. I am going US end of the month.
      I don't know how feasible is it to get speakers from other countries when most of the international speakers are locally available, that too at the same price as abroad.

Also why you are buying full speaker set at once? First get the stereo pair from the speaker-set you are eyeing, enjoy it for few days and later get remaining speakers one by one. That way you will also know how the speaker is performing.

Currently I am eyeing the Denon X4400W 9.2 channel model. Pretty high end and will make me lose some 1000 dollars. If I do this, then I won't have money left to buy speakers. Otherwise, I can buy X1400W, 7.2 channel one for 300 dollars and spend 500 dollars for speakers from Klipsch or Polk Audio.
      You are forgetting the sub-woofer, that alone will cost as much as a full speaker set.

my purpose is to have a surround sound system at home to consume TV, movies and sports with music playback at may be 5-10% time
      Investing hefty amount on a high end multi-channel audio system for TV source is not worth. You are not going to taste the full potential of a dedicated audio system when mostly used with the TV content. DVD/BlueRAY or high resolution audio source can only justify such investment.

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Understood gents. May I pls get the opinion on the thread question of AVRs?

Global Tolerator
      Searching...

Awesome

Understood gents. May I pls get the opinion on the thread question of AVRs?
      I don't see much difference in the specs of 1400H and 1500H.
      Only major difference is 1400H misses the Phono input (turntable), which I don't think you gonna need.

About technical difference, the 1500H has 32 bit DAC compared to 24bit of 1400H. And 32 bit audio sources are rare. Finding difference in the sound quality between 32 bit and 24 bit is not easy for everyone. Even the hardcore audiophile world had been happy with the 24bit DACs So far.

But again, it would be better if you can visit local audio store and audition few combinations at there before heading to US. That will help you in making better decision.
      Last edited by Jack Sparrow; 12th Apr 2019 at 09:55.

Hello friends

Awesome

I will suggest to keep a budget of about 500usd for avr. Instead of 1400h you can choose 2400h. Or something from Marantz lineup. Btw currently sr5012 is available on hifimart for great price.
      I personally am using Sony str dn1080 which is highly rated. And I love it.
      Apart from this you will need a budget of about 500-1000usd for speakers. And subwoofer can be added later.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gears in head!!!
      Life needs a purpose!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.lakshay View Post
      speakers
      Thanks Doc - what speakers are complementing your STR DN1080?

Audio Enthusiast
      SO can't stop the XUV

Hungry

My suggestion would be a Marantz NR1608 which is the outgoing model of 2018 and you may get it for a lesser price than the current series Marantz NR1609

It retails for $499 in Amazon and in India it retails for 50K in HifiMart

Its compact and has a small footprint. It has support for Atmos and DTS: X and has all bells and whistles what you expect. Its easier to carry as well since you're planning to pick up from US.

Dream is not what you see when you sleep;dream is something that doesn't make you sleep - A. P. J. Abdul Kalam.

Mahindra XUV 500
      Tata Tiago XZ Petrol
      Honda Hornet
      Honda Activa
      Honda Dio

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information