• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Tyre Upgrade Guide

Aware

Awesome

NICE writeup dude!!

Could we please have a thread with tire-sizes and prices if possible

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil
      Pavan, you told me you wanted 175/80 R14!!

165/80 R14 is easily available! Tell me when you want the tyre, nd you shall have it!
      Sorry for the wrong information, i was going through the manual just yesterday and i got this correct info.,

I want them immediately roblem: but pocket currently says

Lot of other stuff being purchased for the Bug as well as the Bus this month. :shock:

Need to wait for few more days to spend this big bucks, could you let me know the price buddy. so :silent:
      All work no play makes Jack a dull boy!

Awesome

Tyreboi at his best. Keep it up man!

Awesome

Thanks all for the positive comments

Pavan, it will be cheap. Probably 2k per tyre or so. Same in JK will be around 1.7 or so.

Awesome

The carbible is indeed like a bible .I have been following it since 2004 when it was just a single page.

Having the right Overall Diameter (OD) is so very important whenever we upgrade the tires.Sometimes people just upgrade to a wider tire without taking into consideration the aspect ratio and the OD and end up with a wrong speedo/odo reading.As a result,we tend to say that the poor fuel consumption figure is due to the wider tire!!!...when its actually the odometer that is reading wrong.

Sometimes the rim width is also neglected and we tend to fit wider tires on thinner rims which can be a safety hazard .Also,tire guys dont insist on rim changes when they sense you are cost conscious and wouldnt want to spend that "extra" on a rim.

I have seen a Verna topple and do 2 summersaults on the Inner Ring road in Bangalore when trying to overtake me at 5.30 am.I have seen an Accent Viva Crdi skid on the Nh48 just after uppinangady at 3 am .He wasnt letting me go ahead (dunno why these morons do that ),and on this turn after a long straight ,he just lost it and did a 360!!!!...And ,as I was follwing him ,i had to take evasive action...we were lucky that there was oncoming traffic...on both ocassions ,i did see that both these cars had the wrong upsizes on alloy rims!!!...we can also see so many Swifts and zens with such wrong upsizes....people just put alloys and wider tires to show-off.

Lastly,the most important,is the right tire pressure...no matter how advanced the tire is ...a lower tire pressure will definitely cause accelerated tire wear,side wall damage ,increase fuel consumption drastically and guarantee a sure-shot tire burst at high speeds..its very important to increase the tire pressures by atleast 2-3 psi over the OE tires when you upsize and another 2-3 psi when on the highways ..One way to look at tire pressures is to see if u see a prominent band on the side wall or 2 darker paralllel lines on the tire surface.This is because the tire wall flexes more with reduced pressures.
      FYI ..the zen 145/80r12 OE had a recommended tire pressure of 24psi ...while maruti used to recommend 28 psi on the 13 inch tires..i used to keep 33-34 psi on my 165/60 r13 tires.

Awesome

Tyre

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil
      Thanks all for the positive comments

Pavan, it will be cheap. Probably 2k per tyre or so. Same in JK will be around 1.7 or so.

Will 100% visit your shop by Monday or tuesday.

regards....KADAM
      All work no play makes Jack a dull boy!

Awesome

Sir, give me a call before coming. I dont like want you to waste time!

On the lookout for more 4
      wheel victims.

Hungry

Great article Nikhil, I am sure this will help a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by satyajitshetty
      Lastly,the most important,is the right tire pressure...no matter how advanced the tire is ...a lower tire pressure will definitely cause accelerated tire wear,side wall damage ,increase fuel consumption drastically and guarantee a sure-shot tire burst at high speeds..its very important to increase the tire pressures by atleast 2-3 psi over the OE tires when you upsize and another 2-3 psi when on the highways ..One way to look at tire pressures is to see if u see a prominent band on the side wall or 2 darker paralllel lines on the tire surface.This is because the tire wall flexes more with reduced pressures.
      FYI ..the zen 145/80r12 OE had a recommended tire pressure of 24psi ...while maruti used to recommend 28 psi on the 13 inch tires..i used to keep 33-34 psi on my 165/60 r13 tires.
      I generally use 33 psi, when the company specified pressure is 30. I think stock size was 195/60/15 on 6J alloys. Currently using 205/60/15 on the same alloys. Sometimes I wonder if I should be using a tad more pressure for highway use...
      In pursuit of happiness, and happiness drives very fast.

Awesome

Superb write up dude.. hats off!!
      Y LEARN FRM OTHER'S MISTAKES ??
      WHN U CAN LEARN FRM URS!!
      -AAMIR KHAN

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by tadukuttan
      Great article Nikhil, I am sure this will help a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by satyajitshetty
      I generally use 33 psi, when the company specified pressure is 30. I think stock size was 195/60/15 on 6J alloys. Currently using 205/60/15 on the same alloys. Sometimes I wonder if I should be using a tad more pressure for highway use...
      Hey Tadu,

Its all about trial and error ..and our driving styles.

and yeah ...all tire pressures mentioned would be cold tire pressures.Most of us drive to the gas station or the tirewala with the inaccurate guage and in the process we end up with slightly heated tires.
      It would always make sense to have a foot pump with an accurate gauge in the boot .

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information