As the title suggests, lets list out all the "must drive" roads in India. The idea is to form a database of roads that are extremely challenging, scenic, a drivers delight so that we can try to cover them at some point of time.
Some from my list:
1. Bangalore-Hyderabad - For pure thrill of being able to maintain high speeds thanks to the brilliant road surface and minimal traffic.
2. Hassan-Belur - One of the best road surfaces you will find in this country coupled with some brilliant corners with ample visibility.
3. Theni-Munnar-Top Station - One of the most scenic drives you can do in India. Specially if you are driving with a lot of mist around .
4. Rameshwaram-Dhanushkodi - KMs and KMs of single straight road, that suddenly opens up into acres of sand on your left and the sea trying to wash the road off to your right. I found it quite scary the 1st time I drove this stretch.
5. Honnavar-Gersoppa-Jog Falls - Must be done at late night. Make sure you are not faint hearted. The road is usually deserted and might give you the creeps. But no better road for some spirited driving at night than this.
6. Hubli-Ankola-Goa - Once upon a time, rated as the 2nd best road in India by ACI. A mix of beautiful roads through forests and some amazing ghat section. Pity, its being ruined by mining truckers these days.
7. Alipiri-Tirumala - Beautiful ghat roads with 1-way traffic only. If you manage to beat the traffic, be assured to have a awesome time behind the wheels. And at the top waits some yummy laddoos too
8. Baroda-Ahmedabad Expressway - One of the best sections of the GQ.
PS: All pics taken by me from my countless trips.
Some photographs of the road from Thirumala to Alipiri
I would like to add the below mentioned roads to the list
1. Suntikoppa to Madikeri - The newly laid road is really a drivers delight, especially for night driving.
2. Maravanthe Beach on NH17 - The stretch of NH 17 near Marvanthe beach, where you find the arabian sea on the west and sauparnika river on the east. Even though this stretch is only about 1 km its really picturesque and love to drive on this stretch.
Last edited by venbab; 12th Feb 2011 at 12:38.
Donate BLOOD Save Lives
My take(pertains to TN only where I have driven most)
1. Chennai(Thiruvanmiyur) - Pondy & Nagapattinam - Tuticorin (ECR) - 2 Laned but scenic with lot of winds & trills
2. Chennai(Tambaram) - Trichy - Madurai (NH45/45B) - Beautiful 4 Laned expressway, pleasure drive guaranteed
3. Walajapet - Krishnagiri (NH46) - Least densed, can do any speed, enjoyable if passed through in the nights
4. SH 5(TN) - Arcot - Arni - Tiruvannamalai & beyond - Beautiful 2 laned rural roads cutting through the culture of Dravidians
- What we wish will come true one day. We require only Faith & Patience.
I think, Thats pretty much it though. You guys covered every thing
Honk if you want to see my finger!
Thats a lovely pic. And how can I forget the Maravanthe Beach Road - One of my all time favourites too. Have some fond memories at the beach.2. Maravanthe Beach on NH17 - The stretch of NH 17 near Marvanthe beach, where you find the arabian sea on the west and sauparnika river on the east. Even though this stretch is only about 1 km its really picturesque and love to drive on this stretch.
Is a mess till you reach Salem and turn off towards Karur.Originally Posted by adithya ramesh
Really? IMO we have just covered 20% of the roads till now.Originally Posted by SKC
I feel Dharmapuri- Salem route is pretty good.
Salem - Namakal Streatch is driver's delight. I remember the route from Erode to Sathy Via Kowthambadi was a drivers delight (5 years back). Never been to this route again. May be if someone did it recently could comment.
Is this the route?I remember the route from Erode to Sathy Via Kowthambadi was a drivers delight (5 years back). Never been to this route again. May be if someone did it recently could comment.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)