• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret

Thread: New Feature: How USER REPUTATION works.

Support Donkey
      Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
      just 1 extra second of false
      hope :p

Awesome

New Feature: How USER REPUTATION works.

• What is the Reputation System?

It is a tool that allows every "Registered User" of this forum to cast their vote on posts made by others. Its purpose is to hopefully give users an idea of how respected, knowledgeable, helpful, gracious, etc., a person is on Gearheads.

This system is for letting everyone know, not only how helpful someone is, but how much of a positive or negative impact they are on the community.

It is also used by the GearHeads forum software to decide on access levels for forum members. A user with a positive reputation is trusted by the system to manage or moderate the forum. On the other hand, a negative reputation will place restrictions on the user.

• What is my Default Reputation Points I start off with?

For registering on the Forum, you are assigned 10 Reputation points by default. From here on, you move your way up/down based on the content of your posts.

• How do I give reputation?

At the bottom of every post, you will see a few buttons. You give away reputation points each time you click on Thanks/Like.

• What do the green, red, and grey bars under my username mean?

Green bars indicate that you were given positive reputation by other members. If your Reputation points are greater than 0 you will have green bars.

Red bars indicates that you have negative reputation. If your Reputation points are lesser than 0 you will have red bars under your username.

The more Reputation Points you have, the more number of bars you get.

• What are good reasons to leave positive reputation?

Reputation Points should be given to people who post meaningful, helpful, and thoughtful posts. Any post that contributes to the thread in a positive way probably deserves positive reputation. This does not mean that you agree with what was said; the point brought up may be completely opposite to what you believe, but it may be a good point nonetheless, and worthy of a pat on the back.

Giving positive reputation to someone because they are your friend and deserve to have a few more green dots next to their name isn't a good reason to give positive reputation.

• What are good reasons to leave negative reputation?

Negative reputation should be given if the person is posting something that detracts from the conversation. If the post is rude, inappropriate, breaks forum rules, is not gracious, etc; these are all good reasons to give negative reputation. If you have a personal grudge with someone, it is not appropriate to give them negative reputation without reason. Giving negative reputation because you don't agree with what was said is not an appropraite use of the reputation system. People are entitled to their own opinions, and just because you don't agree doesn't mean the user was wrong or not contributing to the conversation.

• Do I have to participate in the reputation system?

The reputation system is completely optional. But, by participating in discussion in our forums you are eligible to receive positive and negative reputation points from other users. You are not obligated to do so for others. However, the more people that use the system, the better and more reliable it becomes.

• How do I see how many Reputation Points I have?

If you click on the "Star/Reputation" button on your own posts, it will show you how many reputation points you have currently earned.

• What do I do if I see someone mis-using the Reputation System?

Now if you notice a pattern of someone abusing the system, report that post with the reason or kindly PM either tadukuttan/hrag/MechaniX/mclaren1885 with all the details. Necessary action will be taken against the members.

Support Donkey

Awesome

How the reputation buttons work?

1. Thanks Button - To be used to "thank" a user for a post that was helpful to you. Thanks button allocates 2 points to the Original Poster.

Eg: A user X helped you with a route map/suggestion/has helped you identify and fix a problem.

2. Like Button - To be used if you find the post meaningful and worthy of being given 1 point for "quality".

Eg: A user X posts a technical post that you appreciate and want to reward him for the same.

3. Dislike Button - Down ranks a post if 3+ members use it. When a post is down-ranked, other members will have to click on "View Post" to view the contents of this post.

4. Infract Button - This button takes away points (depending on the clickers reputation) from a Users Reputation. This button is to be used in case of posts that are:

1. Inflammatory in nature.
      2. Troll posts.
      3. Personal Attacks.

If you don't see an infract button, that is because you do no have sufficient Reputation Power to infract other members.

Note 1
      : If you are found mis-using/abusing the "infract" button, Admins/Moderators will take away 10 points or more (each time you mis-use) from your Reputation. So kindly think twice before you infract someone. After 5 warnings, if the user still continues to mis-use the buttons, you will lose the rights to vote for others. Which also means, others cannot vote for you and you will not garner more Reputation Points.

Note 2: All the members who can infract other members can now "un-infract" if the button was clicked accidentally.

Note 3: If you have clicked a button accidentally and like it to be deleted, REPORT that post with the reason, we will tend to it at the earliest.

Kindly request all the users to use the buttons RESPONSIBLY.

Kindly report any mis-use of the buttons by using the Report Post button.

Support Donkey

Awesome

Users can now Undislike accidental Dislike Clicks.

Off late, we have had a lot of members clicking the dislike button by mistake. And that would involve reporting a post and then one of us deleting the entry. Now every user can undislike an accidental click made by them.

If you have clicked the dislike button by mistake, just click on Undislike to remove the entry.

Support Donkey

Awesome

Access Levels based on the Reputation System.

Access Levels

1. Standard Access - Default level for all new users. Complete access to all forums and features.

2. Enhanced Access - Once the user reaches the criteria based on reputation points & post count, user gets privileged (see other user grievances) access to the Grievance Section, Infract Button etc. Currently the requirement is 80 Reputation Points + 200 Posts. As we grow and mature, this access level will get more and more moderator rights. We expect this group of users to manage the community in the future.

3. Restricted Access - All the members with negative reputation go here. Their access to the forum is limited, posts are moderated, no access to chatbox etc. If you have a reputation of negative twenty (-20) you are automatically put on restricted access. The way out is to contribute to the community and garner more reputation points.
      Last edited by tadukuttan; 25th May 2011 at 02:31. Reason: Removed the 4th level.
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Corner craving TC'd Petrol.
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Zapco.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Awesome

mclaren1885 , reviving this thread because of a query I have w.r.t green reputation bars. I have observed that the maximum number of bars one can achieve is 11 ( 5 dark green + 6 light green). For example you, Tadu, 007.. all have maximum 11 bars. It won't increase even if you guys get more Likes/Thanks from members.

Should not be there something beyond this which shows one's contributions when he/she has achieved maximum 11 green bars. Or I am missing something.

Please move the post to relevant thread if I posted in the wrong one.
      Thanks.
      Last edited by yksharma; 5th Nov 2012 at 14:34.
      2012 Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium, 2006 Bajaj Pulsar 150

I was lonely driving here tonight so I hugged the road.

Support Donkey

Awesome

It's been a while since I had a look at it. We have changed anything since the first time we set it up. Will look into it once I get back power and let you know
      2002 Tata Indica DLS.
      2004 Suzuki Zen - A G13B eater.
      2005 Suzuki Baleno - India's fastest Naturally Aspirated Baleno timed on a drag strip officially!
      2008 Suzuki Swift VDi - The Rattle King.
      2011 Chevrolet Cruze - A monster in the making.
      2016 Ford Ecosport 1.5 TDCi Titanium - The SQ Machine in the making.
      2017 Skoda Octavia VRS - Corner craving TC'd Petrol.
      2014 MOC SQ Pro Champions.
      Harmonixx Audio Inc - Importers for Audiofrog & Zapco.
      Dealers for Rainbow/Mosconi/Dynaudio/Micro Precision/Audible Physics/AIV/Morel/Flux/PHD/Gladen/Focal/Rockford Fosgate/Dampmat/E4 Damping and more.

Thread Information