• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide To Select Essential Home Garage Tools - A Must For All DIY's

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
      Although I would suggest you move it to the general section since most of the tools are not restricted to two wheelers.
      Hmm...but these are more than sufficient tools for any two wheelers, while its not even basic for four wheelers & house hold chores need even more. Do you think it isn't fair to move

Also, add credits to the photos to avoid plagiarism issues.
      How

A noob question, are plug spanners needed to remove spark plugs in 4 wheelers as well
      The ones for cars looks like this...

Quote Originally Posted by bhpistorqintorpm View Post
      i have seen a heavy, big hammer head made of plastic/clear pvc stuff with nice rubber grip used for the gentle hammering at my Mechanic's place
      IIRC, its called Mallet
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
      Hmm...but these are more than sufficient tools for any two wheelers, while its not even basic for four wheelers & house hold chores need even more. Do you think it isn't fair to move

How [/img]

IIRC, its called Mallet
      I still feel a generic tool thread would be better. For cars/household, you just need to add stuff to this list. Will help reduce duplication of effort as well. Plus, many people might skip the bike section altogether and they miss out on this info.

Awesome

I still feel a generic tool thread would be better. For cars/household, you just need to add stuff to this list. Will help reduce duplication of effort as well. Plus, many people might skip the bike section altogether and they miss out on this info..
      I was just about to say that this thread should be renamed to "Garage tools - a must for all DIY's"

The tools featured here are enough to strip down a 747.

Adding pneumatic, welding and electrical tools to the list might be helpful.

Lost & searching..

Secret

Another important tool that'll come in handy- Impact Driver

Impact driver set lets you free frozen or rusted screws. Each hammer blow develops 200 ft. lb. of torque

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  4.1 KB

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  9.9 KB
      There is only one cure for grey hair. It was invented by a Frenchman. It is called the Guillotine - PGW

Awesome

I'll ask to move the thread away from Bike section (not sure why you don't want credit to Bike section ), I'll add as much as necessary tools for 4-wheelers I know & may be people can pool in by adding more.

Quote Originally Posted by AGN View Post
      Adding pneumatic, welding and electrical tools to the list might be helpful
      Welding??? Are you sure? You mean, the garage at house should be having a welding machine But if you mean tools for a general garage (for commercial purpose), then the list is endless.
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Awesome

This is a really informative thread. For a casual DIY guy who likes to do routine maintenance around the house, on his bike and car and repair small electronics, do a bit of lite carpentry - what is the tool kit that you recommend? And how big a hole is that going to burn?

Awesome

Compression Meter - This is a tool to measure the compression of a cylinder & to guage if the engine has good compression. Typically the compression ratio for Rx should be around 140ish & this varies between manufacturers. This is a not so essential tool, but a good one to have on long term basis to check if the engine life.

Car Jack - Typically a car jack is provided along when you buy a new car. For people (like me) who prefer used car could be little fortunate for not getting the tools from the previous owners sometimes. In that case, the market is wide open to select the best of the car jack that money can buy. This is the typical one that can be used on small hatches

This one is a good hydraulic based, very efficient & most importantly, very quickest car jack capable of lifting cars weighing couple tonnes onwards

Car Wheel Lug Wrench - This is also usually provided by the manufacturer to remove the wheel lug. Incase of choosing after market parts due to missing or lost one, there're wide varieties available.

Jump Start Cable - No matter you go on a long drive or at home, the car battery woes after a while & if your neighbor has a car, then a jump start cable is all that is required to start your car in few minutes. Variety of brands under several qualities & varying length are available. Choose a good quality on that is best suited for your needs.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
      For a casual DIY guy who likes to do routine maintenance around the house, on his bike and car and repair small electronics, do a bit of lite carpentry
      Well, this is what I have - Discussion thread on Tools for DIY freaks

Maintenance involves typically what kind of activity? Like I said before, tools are to be selected based on the work to be done. If you're involved in plumbing, then a piper wrench is highly recommended

If you're looking to drill holes for wall hangings etc, I'd suggest buying a driller. These days drillers are available with hammer head for drilling into concrete as well as normal one for drilling holes into wood both on same machine just by switching the modes. IMO, avoid the cordless driller if you're going to use it for a long time. Though I've one (Black & Decker) & is working faithfully for over 7 years now, it doesn't gives me a peace of mind as when the battery would go kaput & finding a replacement (in this country) is little difficult. I'd prefer a cordless single machine for both wood & concrete. But the choice is yours
      Here's how a cordless looks like

And the one works directly on power

Pls note they're only samples to show how they appear & not the actual model suggested. In India you can opt for any power tools from Bosch as they're available in plenty all over. Hitachi is quite popular & fast catching up the market while the cheap Chinese ones are flooding & luring the market with attractive prices. Eg, if Bosch driller costs about Rs 2800, the Chinese bargains starts from Rs 1300

For electronics, the most mandatory items are...
      Soldering Iron - To solder those small electronic items or fixing the board or replacing the resistance or capacitor on the PCB. Again, there're quite few Indian makes that are good in quality available in the market.

Multimeter - Nothing beats the purpose of a multimeter especially when you have a large range to select. Do analogs meters come anymore? Not sure. Choose a good digital multimeter & again, Chinese & our own home grown products are available in abundant & are good in quality.

Awesome

These tools are one hell of a collection. I dont think we need all these. I dont think we will be doing clutch plate replacement, cylinder bore replacement on our own like in foreign countries. What i feel the most needed tool and most neglected tool from the mechanics is torque wrench. It will cost around 2K but worth the investment. Once the repair work has been completed we can torque it as per the specifications. Another utitlity is digital multimeter. The must have DIY is Vernier caliper.

Regards,
      VJ

Awesome

Emery Paper - Sold in mostly hardware stores that is used for sanding/filing down hard and rough surfaces to smoothen, mostly on metals. Another primary use is to get rid off carbon deposits.

Sand Paper - Sandpaper is almost same as emery paper, just that, it is used to remove small amounts of material from surfaces, to make them smoother but mostly for painting and wood finishing works. One example is to remove the old layer of paint from the surface of wall or wood that needs to be painted. Another example is to make the surface rougher, like roughening the brake shoes.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information