• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 406 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Car detailing doubts

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

Lightbulb Car detailing doubts

Quote Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
      Pls don't even think, just buy & use it & I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied unless you know a better brand

The car had some Bird dropping like marks on both the sides when i bought it in addition to the usual dust & grime.
      Although the Chevrolet ASS tried to clean it while washing & later with cleaners while drying it, I feel that some residue is still left.
      The previous owner did not do any preventive maintenance on the car except the regular car wash by the Building washer.

As such I think I should use the clay bar treatment before applying the polish ?
      Any other treatment or other then Mothers brand claybar recommended which is available locally in Bangalore or I can go ahead with the Collinite 845 directly ?

To be frank, I never took any preventive maintenance on my previous car paint, so I have no idea about the same & hence these questions.
      When I sold the car, The paint was in a pretty bad shape, which I want to avoid this time round.

Whats your advice ?
      Last edited by shravank30; 29th Mar 2011 at 12:33.

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

shravank30 - I'm not too sure if you want to waste a brand new clay bar trying to remove bird poo off your car

Preferably you should not try to rub or wipe off the droppings. This will scratch the car. Instead let a wet cloth, maybe with some car shampoo soak on the dropping for a minute, then use another clean wet cloth/sponge to LIFT the dropping off rather than RUB. After this you can wash it off. Follow up to this would be claying and polishing.

I'm not sure if the diesel treatment will be safe and effective for droppings. If nothing else works, you can give this a try.

EDIT:
      And for your cleaning process:

1) Thorough shampoo wash
      2) Thorough drying with chamois
      3) Claying
      4) Polishing
      5) Carnauba wax/polymer sealant if you have the time and energy
      Catch me if you can.....
      '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

Angry OLD man...!
      Diesel'd O_o

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by shravank30 View Post
      The car had some Bird dropping like marks on both the sides when i bought it in addition to the usual dust marks
      If its bird droppings in some cases its next to impossible to remove. It had similar effect as pouring acid on painted surface. It will in some cases blister the paint and is impossible to remove.
      IMO Don't be wowed by clay. Its just for removing additional dirt/grime. Just applying clay will not give fantastic results. It has to be a step by step process. Clay is just one of those steps.

If the paint looks dull you can get a water based rubbing compound and remove the oxidized layer then apply some good wax and seal it with 845. The entire process will set you back less money than the clay.

My 2 paisa

Edit: As optimus said always I say always remove bird poo ASAP. I've been laughed at for pulling over the car to remove bird poo. I always carry a small care package in my car. Call me crazy I love my car.
      Last edited by yzfrj; 29th Mar 2011 at 12:45.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
      I'm not sure if the diesel treatment will be safe and effective for droppings. If nothing else works, you can give this a try.
      I was about to suggest this one.

Trust me Diesel works magic shravank30.
      - Using a cloth, remove off the excessive dust
      - Buy a half-litre of Diesel, using a different cloth, apply Diesel all over the car & let the Diesel soak for, say half hour.
      - Then, use a different cloth & wipe off to remove all the tar spots, bird dropping
      - Use a QUALITY car shampoo like WURTH etc & wash the car thorougly
      - After washing, remove the water using the typical blue cloth as soon as possible
      - Use a small piece of cloth & apply Collinite 845 all over the car & wait for 15 minutes. Otherwise start applying from the front & move to left side, then back & then right. By now you'dve spent more than 15 minutes.
      - Using a MICROFIBER (and Microfiber only for best results) start scrubbing (no pain at all) the wax from the car.
      - For longer protection, follow the application once again

Quote Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
      If its bird droppings in some cases its next to impossible to remove. It had similar effect as pouring acid on painted surface. It will in some cases blister the paint and is impossible to remove.
      - Bang true. shravank30, try to remove the bird droppings ASAP & ensure further dropping.
      Last edited by Aargee; 29th Mar 2011 at 12:58. Reason: To agree with yzfrj's points
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Awesome

The members have misunderstood my entire case.

The bird droppings or whatever it was, has already been removed to the extent of 99% during the washing package which I took at the Chevrolet Service Station.
      There is no blister or any damage to the paint at least to an untrained eye.
      But while i move my hand over the area, I feel that the area is not as smooth as other areas of the car.
      Otherwise the car is Spick & Span

This was due to the negligence of the previous owner.
      I dont think will allow such a situation to develop.

As far as dullness of the paint, It has a non metallic Olympic White paint which is basically dull compared to other metallic paints.
      I was impressed by Aargee's observation of the dramatic wax performance on a Non Metallic white & hence these queries.

I am ready to take all the necessary steps to ensure a good paint shine which the experienced members can recommend.

If the clay bar treatment is felt unnecessary in my case, then I can go ahead directly with the 845 treatment after washing the car & drying it off.

Also what is the recommended Sealant mentioned by Optimus Prime to be done after the polishing?

What is the opinion ?
      Last edited by shravank30; 29th Mar 2011 at 13:33.

Awesome

The members have misunderstood my entire case.
      You mean on bird dropping right? What yzfrj says is bang true & that's the reason for the below...
      But while i move my hand over the area, I feel that the area is not as smooth as other areas of the car
      and that was the reason he mentioned in depth about the seriousness of the issue.

I was impressed by Aargee's observation of the dramatic wax performance on a Non Metallic white & hence these queries.
      Trust me, even I haven't seen my car glittering like this ever since I bought. Now, I'm going to say something more for which you're going to flame me I haven't touched the car since Sunday & this morning I see a layer of dust on the wind shields & side mirrors, but on the body...still I could see the reflections of my other vehicles & there's noticable amount of less dust accumulated on the body

What is the opinion ?
      Best is...
      go ahead directly with the 845 treatment after washing the car & drying it off
      But remember, Collinite might not give the kind of shine that you expect, BUT FOR SURE, it will protect further damages. See this post that yzfrj took when the Collinite has been applied on my Rx which was indeed covered with dust.
      Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

The members have misunderstood my entire case
      The process yzfrj Aargee and I have mentioned is what you need to follow immaterial of what your current bird poo scenario is

If you find residue, then go ahead and first try to use diesel or car shampoo based treatment first to reduce this. Then go in for claying/polishing.

You can stop with collinite 845 for the treatment. Anything more than that is very difficult to do by hand. You will need to buy a DA polisher or buffer.
      Catch me if you can.....
      '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
      But remember, Collinite might not give the kind of shine that you expect, BUT FOR SURE, it will protect further damages. See this post that yzfrj took when the Collinite has been applied on my Rx which was indeed covered with dust
      What is the best recommended treatment for Shine ?

Extinguished GearHead
      Throttle first... Think
      later...

Awesome

What is the best recommended treatment for Shine ?
      Shine depends on how well you are able to buff. The more you buff, the more the shine.
      Catch me if you can.....
      '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

Awesome

For shine use a regular Carnauba wax or 3M. But the issue is, you need to buff. People buff using machine that rotates are several 100's (may be even 1000s not sure) RPM, I highly doubt if that can be done with hands

Page 1 of 406 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information