• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips to clean your ICE

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Blog Entries

Tips to clean your ICE

Like your car, your ICE also is prone to dust, heat, corrosion, moisure and dirt. Without proper maintenance you would most probably end up with an ICE equipment that refuses to function or worse performs badly.

However unlike your car, you just cant pick up hose pipe and wipe down the dust. ICE is delicate, and is extremely reactive to direct water, its dangerous too.

Here are a few tips on how to clean your ICE;

Head Unit

Generally dust easily catches up with HU. One reason is most HU faceplates are nicely polished and hence attract more dust. Any dust is easily removed with your handy dandy spray can of compressed air, however one can also use use a squeezed wet cloth to clean the Faceplate, Screen area to get those ugly fingerprints going. However the Tricky part is the dust that settle in and around volume knobs and button / Panel crevices. You can use normal ear buds to clean these areas. Alternativley use a soft fabric over a sharpended pencil tip.

Speakers

Dust buildup over time will affect a speaker's performance, though this applies more to tweeters than woofers. In any case it looks sloppy, so here are two options. Best would be compressed air in a spray can, the same kind used to clean computers and practically every other piece of electronic equipment. The low pressure spurt of air is enough to remove surface accumulation, gently. Too high a pressure, and you could be saying adios to a diaphragm. A normal dust cloth is another option to use on woofers.

Amps

Never even attempt to use water based cleaning for Amplifiers; Especially near Heat Sinks, Power Ground Terminals and Output Terminals. The Best option is to use a venerable cotton swab and alcohol (98% Isopropyl), or contact cleaner. Painted amps can be cleaned using a mild cleaner that is sprayed onto a cloth. Under no circumstances spray anything directly onto an amp. The same procedure also applies to raw metal amps, but you can apply a little metal polish to make them sparkle. Finally, if you run bare wire into terminals and it becomes corroded, you can cut off the corrosion and re-strip the wire, but make sure you have enough length to work with before you start hacking away.

Sub woofers

Sub woofers dont need any special cleaning. In a sealed Box, The only area where the dust settles will be the Surround and area near it. Normal Dry cloth can be used to clean such Surfaces. Incase of Ported Enclosure, it is advisable to dismantle the sub and clean inner areas every 3-6 months (Depending on usage and dust conditions)

RCA and other connectors

Corrosion, moisture, dirt all of it can be present. Check your RCA connectors atleast once a year. A simple unplugging usually is enough to clean them out, but if they are looking grungy, denatured alcohol (98% Isopropyl) and some cotton swab will do the trick.
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

Hunting for a big bike :)

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
      Like your car, your ICE also is prone to dust, heat, corrosion, moisure and dirt. Without proper maintenance you would most probably end up with an ICE equipment that refuses to function or worse performs badly.............

thats a very good piece of info...thank u..

<invisible>

Awesome

Thanks for the thread. Normally ignored practice otherwise.

Once my rear oval speakers were producing karr karr noise and I found there are some dry small leaves kind of thing etc. around voice coil (sorry do not know the terms to describe exactly.)
      Playing some nice tracks keeping the speakers upside down (entire parcel tray mdf board) helped getting the particles out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speaker.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	39856

swift dzire

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
      Playing some nice tracks keeping the speakers upside down (entire parcel tray mdf board) helped getting the particles out.
      for how long you did it???1 of my friend facing same problem.

<invisible>

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by cooladitya007 View Post
      for how long you did it???1 of my friend facing same problem.
      for 5-10 minutes I guess, until i found it is somewhat clean and good.

Amazing Amaze

Awesome

Thank you Mi10 for this thread. Was thinking to create a new one but found it.

I have a system which is now almost 4 years old and doesn't sound as peppy as it used to sound earlier.

Weird problem with HU, some time, it plays CD just fine but some time, it refuses to read it. I get "CD error" and its very annoying.

My system contains, a HU from Blaunpunkt, 2 Compos from Hertz, a Kenwood Amp and JBL Sub. I was thinking to goto any accessories shop, open the whole system and get it cleaned up but again, why would they do it when its not going to make good profit for them.

I am bit skeptical about opening it up by myself as I may screw up something. Any suggestion please?

O_o

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
      Never even attempt to use water based cleaning for Amplifiers;

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

suppose the amp is not delivering output like when new would simple cleaning of contact points with IPA help?

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
      Weird problem with HU, some time, it plays CD just fine but some time, it refuses to read it. I get "CD error" and its very annoying.

My system contains, a HU from Blaunpunkt, 2 Compos from Hertz, a Kenwood Amp and JBL Sub. I was thinking to goto any accessories shop, open the whole system and get it cleaned up but again, why would they do it when its not going to make good profit for them.

I am bit skeptical about opening it up by myself as I may screw up something. Any suggestion please?
      Well, you can DIY. The lens of the HU is on the upper most part the HU chasis. You can remove the top cover with the help of cross screw driver and easily locate the lens beneath the disc loading mechanism. Clean the lens gently with a cotton swab (ear buds) dipped in iso propyl alcohol (alcohol based body spray cans).
      I have fixed about 4-5 laptop disk drives(including mine) by this method. It really works but just make sure that you don't use a water based Deodorant Can (read the contents).
      Quote Originally Posted by techsom View Post
      suppose the amp is not delivering output like when new would simple cleaning of contact points with IPA help?
      Might work. If not, recheck the gain settings, switches, wiring and terminals.
      Last edited by bamaboy; 14th Jan 2012 at 20:21.
      2015 Mercedes-Benz C200 Avantgarde
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      2014 Tata Safari Storme EX
      2014 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta:
      Nexus 7 -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| DLS A2 | Audible Physics RAM3a | Boston GT2125
      | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | Rockford Fosgate T400-2 | Morel Ultimo SC

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
      Thank you Mi10 for this thread. Was thinking to create a new one but found it.

I have a system which is now almost 4 years old and doesn't sound as peppy as it used to sound earlier.

This happens in my friend's Indigo too. We put the CD again and again in and finally it reads. Last I saw, the display had died. He was using the HU on pure guesswork

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information