• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home audio setup..budget 25-50k ok 75k.pls help!!

not aware that he can set his status here!

Awesome

home audio setup..budget 25-50k ok 75k.pls help!!

hi this is amit.i am planning to buy audio setup for my bedroom.
      bedroom size-15*22feet
      music taste-loves bass..always listen to hip hop,pop,trance.hates treable!
      do nt require VCD/DVD or even CD.
      USB and FM is must.
      would love if it has on/off timer.
      i can import stuff from US.
      pls help me guys...its really damn confusing and its not easy to audition many brands.
      thanx
      amit.

Is now aware that he can set
      his status here.

Awesome

50-75K is not a bad budget.

SOURCE
      Since you don't need to use physical media, what you should look at is either:
      - A media player like the WDTV Live (You'll need a TV you can hook it up to, to be be able to navigate through the menus using the remote). You can hook up an external HDD usa USB (it has 2 USB ports) or stream music from your PC/NAS (it has an Ethernet port, and optional wireless hookup). YOu can use it as an Internet Radio Player. The player would cost between 6.5K to 7K in India, Probably 5K in the US.
      OR
      - A Squeezebox Touch. You won't need a TV as the device has a 4.3 touchscreen and a remote. I'm not totally sure, but I think it will have an on-off timer and an alarm-clock function. It does have USB-in, but it is best used with USB Pendrives only (external HDDs reportedly have problems with the SB Touch). The SB Touch excels at streaming music from your PC/NAS. It is also an excellent Internet Radio Player. The SB Touch costs about 12-13K in the US.
      OR
      - Use your existing PC/Laptop.

Amp
      Since you like your music less forward and with more bass, I would suggest you look at a NAD c316BEE (22K), or a Norge 1000 (about 12K). The Norge is made in India by a true music enthusiast in Mumbai and is very very good value for money. The only drawback is it does not look that good.

Speakers
      PSB Alpha B1s (about 15K) go very well with the NAD mentioned above. They will go well with the Norge too. They have consistently been considered among the best speakers ever, holding their own against speakers many times their price. You can also consider the Norge Millenium Bookshelves (about 12K) if you are thinking of getting the Norge 1000. The Monitor Audio M2 (about 15K) is also a good choice.

The above speakers will produce musical bass, and are not bass-heavy. If you want to go that way, you can think of getting a Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer (about 18K) to complement the speakers. It is an active sub (has a built-in amp) so you don't need to spend any more.

Another option: Active Speakers (with or without a sub)
      A Pair of Audioengine A5s (white) will cost 18K. They are active speakers (amp built-in) and are considered best-in class, good enough to beat an amp+speaker combo costing upto 30K. They give very good bass, and if you really want more, you can get the Audioengine AS8 active subwoofer (18K) which compements the A5s perfectly. In fact, this the option I'd suggest the most, for a no-hassle, minimum equipment, maximum impact setup.

Wires
      You can expect to spend about 3K-4K on RCAs and speaker wire, if you go for the amp+speaker option. If you go the Audioengine way, you'll need to spend only under 1K for a pair of RCAs. the speakers come with reasonably good speaker wire.

If you can mention your location, I can tell you where you can audition most of this stuff. In Mumbai, you can listen to all of this stuff. Most other metros also have dealers which I can point you to.

I think I have kept you within budget here. If you want more add-ons to this setup (at higher budget heh heh) which will improve the music, I can suggest those too *evil laugh*
      Last edited by hydra; 16th Jun 2011 at 13:26.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
      50-75K is not a bad budget.

SOURCE
      Since you don't need to use physical media, what you should look at is either:
      - A media player like the WDTV Live (You'll need a TV you can hook it up to, to be be able to navigate through the menus using the remote). You can hook up an external HDD usa USB (it has 2 USB ports) or stream music from your PC/NAS (it has an Ethernet port, and optional wireless hookup). YOu can use it as an Internet Radio Player. The player would cost between 6.5K to 7K in India, Probably 5K in the US.
      OR
      - A Squeezebox Touch. You won't need a TV as the device has a 4.3 touchscreen and a remote. I'm not totally sure, but I think it will have an on-off timer and an alarm-clock function. It does have USB-in, but it is best used with USB Pendrives only (external HDDs reportedly have problems with the SB Touch). The SB Touch excels at streaming music from your PC/NAS. It is also an excellent Internet Radio Player. The SB Touch costs about 12-13K in the US.
      OR
      - Use your existing PC/Laptop.

Amp
      Since you like your music less forward and with more bass, I would suggest you look at a NAD c316BEE (22K), or a Norge 1000 (about 12K). The Norge is made in India by a true music enthusiast in Mumbai and is very very good value for money. The only drawback is it does not look that good.

Speakers
      PSB Alpha B1s (about 15K) go very well with the NAD mentioned above. They will go well with the Norge too. They have consistently been considered among the best speakers ever, holding their own against speakers many times their price. You can also consider the Norge Millenium Bookshelves (about 12K) if you are thinking of getting the Norge 1000. The Monitor Audio M2 (about 15K) is also a good choice.

The above speakers will produce musical bass, and are not bass-heavy. If you want to go that way, you can think of getting a Wharfedale SW150 subwoofer (about 18K) to complement the speakers. It is an active sub (has a built-in amp) so you don't need to spend any more.

Another option: Active Speakers (with or without a sub)
      A Pair of Audioengine A5s (white) will cost 18K. They are active speakers (amp built-in) and are considered best-in class, good enough to beat an amp+speaker combo costing upto 30K. They give very good bass, and if you really want more, you can get the Audioengine AS8 active subwoofer (18K) which compements the A5s perfectly. In fact, this the option I'd suggest the most, for a no-hassle, minimum equipment, maximum impact setup.

Wires
      You can expect to spend about 3K-4K on RCAs and speaker wire, if you go for the amp+speaker option. If you go the Audioengine way, you'll need to spend only under 1K for a pair of RCAs. the speakers come with reasonably good speaker wire.

If you can mention your location, I can tell you where you can audition most of this stuff. In Mumbai, you can listen to all of this stuff. Most other metros also have dealers which I can point you to.

I think I have kept you within budget here. If you want more add-ons to this setup (at higher budget heh heh) which will improve the music, I can suggest those too *evil laugh*
      hey hdra thanx a lot lot lot!!!this is damn helpfull!!i was thinking just about denon/yamaha/onkyo till now.am located in mumbai only.can you pls tell me where can i get to audition this stuff.now just cant wait.will go for shopping in next month max.but budget is in thousands not more than that!and the reason is i really cant play it loud all the time at home!and really thanx to you again!

Reboot
      Curiosity killed the cat;
      Insecurity killed the man

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Sometimes I wonder what's the need for all this power At home. 90% of the time we never play loud, well not Eben at medium volume. However if You want unmatched sq get an external DAC a nice tube based headphone amp and a high end headphone. Nothing can beat that for stereo playback!
      RIP Penguin May 2013 - Dec 2015

his status here.

Awesome

procircuit_234, you're welcome.

I guess you were thinking about AVRs from Denon/Yamaha/Onkyo. They are ok for movies, but for best reproduction of music, you need to go for a true-blue 2-channel amp.

Audioengine:
      Bajaao
      21 Bhaidas Bhuta Compound
      Mogra Lane
      Off Old Nagardas Road
      Andheri East
      Mumbai-400069
      Tel: 022-65223453/54
      Email: helpdesk@bajaao.com

You can buy the speakers online from BAJAAO.COM - India's Largest Direct Online Retailer for Musical Instruments and Pro Audio Equipment - Buy and Review, or you might get a home demo (they used to do home demos before) if you call them up and act sufficiently interested They used to have a 14 day money-back scheme, but I'm not sure if they have it now.

PSB, NAD:
      Lakozy Electronics And Services
      Lakozy Mansion, 21-Chowpatty Seaface,
      Mumbai 400 007, India.
      Tel: 91 - 22 -23697001/2, 23692213
      Fax: 91-22-23698001
      Email : info@la-kozy.in

Monitor Audio
      Boomerang. I don't have their address, but I do know they have showrooms at VT and Juhu.
      You can call them at 022-28548910, 26194452, 9820949395.

Wharfedale:
      Designer Audio India Pvt. Ltd.
      "Arun Chambers",
      Ground Floor, No. 9,
      Near AC Market, Tardeo,
      Mumbai - 400034.
      Tel: 91-22-23520320
      TeleFax: 91-22-23512836
      Email: designer_audio@hotmail.com

Mi10, believe me, listening to music through a home audio setup is far far more rewarding experience. I too did not think much of listening to music at home, till I started out out with my setup. Even a setup that costs 50% of what we typically put into our cars can be very enjoyable. The only reason I'm not selling all the stuff in my car to put all that money into home audio, is the insane loss I'm sure to make in the sale. Now that I've tasted a bit of how enjoyable home audio can be, car audio does not cut it for me anymore. To some extent I am lucky that I could manage a dedicated listening room at home, with the layout and furniture and everything in it under my control. I listen to music for 3-4 hours every day, at a volume I am comfortable with, right upto midnight or even later.

I used to listen to music with a Sennheiser HD555 through an external DAC and a Class-A headphone amp. It is a very nice experience, but the listening experience from a set of speakers if far more enjoyable (to me).

It is just a matter of time. In a few years, you will get hit with the same disease too

Reboot

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Mi10, believe me, listening to music through a home audio setup is far far more rewarding experience. I too did not think much of listening to music at home, till I started out out with my setup. Even a setup that costs 50% of what we typically put into our cars can be very enjoyable. The only reason I'm not selling all the stuff in my car to put all that money into home audio, is the insane loss I'm sure to make in the sale. Now that I've tasted a bit of how enjoyable home audio can be, car audio does not cut it for me anymore. To some extent I am lucky that I could manage a dedicated listening room at home, with the layout and furniture and everything in it under my control. I listen to music for 3-4 hours every day, at a volume I am comfortable with, right upto midnight or even later.
      Agreed Hydra, but then with a family around its tough to even peacefuly hear FM radio.
      It should definelty be more enjoyable, however somehow Home audio doesnt seem to work for me (atleast at this point of my life). I hardly spend 10 Hours at my Home and that includes 5-6 Hours of sleep as well. Remaining 4 hours i need to play quite few roles from father to husband to son to brother. Hopefully someday my job would permit me to spend more time at home.

I used to listen to music with a Sennheiser HD555 through an external DAC and a Class-A headphone amp. It is a very nice experience, but the listening experience from a set of speakers if far more enjoyable (to me).

It is just a matter of time. In a few years, you will get hit with the same disease too
      Right now its HD650 + USB DAC + Tube Headphone Amp for me. Superb sound and doesn't disturb anyone (I usually listen to songs after 10 pm). My wife cant complain to reduce bass, my kid wont wake up and start starring, my mom wont have headaches

his status here.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
      HD650 + USB DAC + Tube Headphone Amp
      Yum!

Awesome

I would agree with Mi10

hydra, you are damn lucky to manage to appropriate a room for yourself. not many of us have the luxury. and what ever time one spends at home, there are many claimants to it, leaving hardly any time to spend on oneself.

For me, listening to music at home would be a luxury. Best would be listening to music in car - during the drive to office.

Reboot

Hungry

Blog Entries
      Quote Originally Posted by RUDRADEV View Post
      For me, listening to music at home would be a luxury. Best would be listening to music in car - during the drive to office.
      Me too. Thats why i got a bomb in my car even though my office is just 2.5Km away from my house

his status here.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
      my office is just 2.5Km away from my house
      Another reason the car doesn't work nowadays in my scenario. My office is 2.5 meters away from my house. And the way the petrol prices are going, the car is going to get a lot more rest. Since May 1, I've spent only 800/- on petrol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information