• Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Test Report: Nitrogen vs Normal Air in Tyres

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Test Report: Nitrogen vs Normal Air in Tyres

I've tested and proven in the past that filling Nitrogen in our road going vehicle tires is of no use. But thanks to constant pestering by a friend who is a big fan follower of the Nitrogen filling brigade, we decided to perform the test once more with my TPMS interface so that I can "kill" the Nitrogen believer in him.

I thought I'll post the results here as well for the benefit of our wide audience.
      MODS: In case you think this test deserves a separate thread, please feel free to fork it out a new thread.

Start: Removed old air as much as possible and nitrogen was filled on Wednesday evening to 2 diagonal tyres (in excess than required).

FL - Tyre-1 - Nitrogen
      FR - Tyre-2 - Normal Air
      RR - Tyre-3 - Nitrogen
      RL - Tyre-4 - Normal Air

The next day morning (8:00 AM), I equalized the pressure in all tires to ~32.5psi and left it there in the basement parking.

Here is how the reading looks like at 12:00PM (Vehicle not driven since equalization)

Name:  TPMS_Idle_Vehicle_12PM_First_Start.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  136.2 KB

You can see a mild increase due to ambient temperature rise. Also it looks like I didn't do a proper equalization with Tyre-4.
      I was running towards a meeting and didn't have time to tweak it again. So lets take the starting pressure as 33psi for Tyre-4.

And here is how it looks after a 7km run to office (12:30 PM)

Name:  TPMS_After_7KM_Run_Afternoon.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  127.9 KB

The truth is out there already but this is planned to be a long term test and I'll update the results as we progress through the testing...Keep watching this space.

PS: N2 filling charges are sponsored by my friend.
      CODE6.IN | DigitalVampire.com | XENG.net
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion. --Edmond de Goncour

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Digital Vampire, could you repeat the temperature test with a long high[ish] speed highway run?

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
      Digital Vampire , could you repeat the temperature test with a long high[ish] speed highway run?
      Sure... I will...as soon as it happens...Nothing planned till next Saturday though.

I'm planning to have this as a long term report (30-60 days) unless I hit a puncture and lose the validity of the data.

Anyways I take a rather empty road to office and hit short bursts of 100-120kmph and good deal of braking for our infamous back breakers...
      "If there is a god, atheism must seem to god as less of an insult than religion. --Edmond de Goncour

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
      Anyways I take a rather empty road to office and hit short bursts of 100-120kmph and good deal of braking for our infamous back breakers...
      from what I gather, tire temperature increase is more pronounced when you are traveling at steady high speeds. short bursts of acceleration followed by braking dissipate that temperature. so yeah, please do try to maintain constant 100+ speeds for maybe 30 minutes or so and report. it should also be interesting to see how the pressures drop in the long term.

what tires are you running by the way? and how old are they? and which car is this? the Tucson?

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

what tires are you running by the way? and how old are they? and which car is this? the Tucson?
      Yes... Its on the Tucson. The tyres are Cooper Discovery Sport HP 235/60/R16 (H/V Rated). Has run ~9K kms and ~10 months old.

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Update: 7km return run but at 4:30PM and light drizzling rain.

Name:  TPMS_After_7KM_Run_4.30PM_Light_Drizzle.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  121.0 KB

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Digital Vampire, could you post the tire pressure readings on completely cold tires tomorrow morning? I see something odd happening with Tire 4. when you filled up, it had the maximum pressure of all four tires. however, after your runs it shows minimum pressure. which means it is either expanding less or there is a loss in tire pressure. should be confirmed when you check cold readings tomorrow morning.

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

Update: Cold Reading @ 11:15AM, (Vehicle not started yet)

Name:  TPMS_Aug9_8AM_Start.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  135.2 KB

Please note that the ambient temperatures are lower than I originally started with. But looks like Tyre-1 & Tyre-2 has lost some pressure in comparison with the rears.

Regarding Tyre-4: Historically I've seen it to be least heating and hence least expanding of all 4 tyres.

Some wild guesses...Could it be because Tyre-4 is away from the exhaust pipe? (Tucson has dual exhaust tips but the main single exhaust pipe coming from the engine is closer to the Wheel-3).

OR

Could it be because Tyre-4 is on the kerb side of the road which is generally more wet these days?

It also stays the coolest in the parking lot because it is in the path of the wind stream

Jai Radhe Maa

Secret

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
      Update: Cold Reading @ 11:15AM, (Vehicle not started yet)

Name:  TPMS_Aug9_8AM_Start.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  135.2 KB

Please note that the ambient temperatures are lower than I originally started with. But looks like Tyre-1 & Tyre-2 has lost some pressure in comparison with the rears.

Regarding Tyre-4: Historically I've seen it to be least heating and hence least expanding of all 4 tyres.

Some wild guesses...Could it be because Tyre-4 is away from the exhaust pipe? (Tucson has dual exhaust tips but the main single exhaust pipe coming from the engine is closer to the Wheel-3).

OR

Could it be because Tyre-4 is on the kerb side of the road which is generally more wet these days?

It also stays the coolest in the parking lot because it is in the path of the wind stream
      yeah, the exhaust could be a factor here. if the kerb side being wet was that significant it would also manifest itself similarly in the front tire as well, but that doesnt seem to be so. front tires losing pressure could easily be attributed to the greater weight and strain being placed on them at any given point in time.

Ouroboros
      There is no place like

Secret

if the kerb side being wet was that significant it would also manifest itself similarly in the front tire as well, but that doesnt seem to be so.
      A related observation: After coming to a complete halt post a long trip, the temperature of the front tires is seen to spike up for a while (and later cool down) due to its proximity to the engine & GB. I guess even while running it could be in effect but to a lesser extend due to wind cooling.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information