An automobile is an automobile. It takes us from point A to point B. Does it serve any other purpose??
Well, according to alarmingly high fraction of human beings, it doesnt!
For the rest of us mortals, it means a whole lot than the above. Ain't it?? Else, we would never be reading this at the first place.
Cars have been always some fascinating pieces of creation on this planet earth for many of us. Some grew up looking at it. Some, drew pictures of it. Some, cried when it left our porches, some even lived a life just for these thingys which kept on moving the world.
Why? Why?? Why??? What reason to be sooooo fascinated?
(Find an answer and keep it ready) :roll:
Why am I speaking all this crap here??
Coz, the same theory is what all applies on to the WORLD OF ICE!! A.K.A: In Car Entertainment.
For an alarmingly high fraction of motorists, ICE means something which can play FM or some music while the car is moving. Period.
For the rest of us, a very small fraction of the so called automobile enthusiasts or whatever, it means a helluva lot more than that. Many of us (the above said species), have lived a life full of speakers, amplifiers, head units, woofers, tweeters, mid range woofers, passive, active, series, parallel and lots more of these....
Why? Why?? Why???
(Take the answer you found for the earlier why(s) and apply here). Done!
So, I think we have covered that big WHY everybody pops out once in a while when it comes to ICE. LOL!!!
WHAT is ICE?
In Car Entertainment, as I said.
What do you need for it?
Basically, anything which can entertain while you are INSIDE the car.
Some like music, some prefer videos, movies and some prefer more REAL stuff which I ain't in a mood to explain (but normally it means; some beings from the fairer sex, high smokes, drinks etc....), we can discuss that somewhere else.
For music, you need;
(1) Head Unit : This is normally referred/known as source. They pick up signals from CDs/Radio channels etc.., process it and send it out.
(2) Speaker(s) : These are also known as drivers. They emit sound by playing some tricks on the air and atmosphere around it.
(3) Wire(s) : These are used to connect the HU (Head Unit) to the Speakers etc...
This much will be enough for most of the human race as I said earlier.
For some more enthusiastic/show off kind, they will need the following in addition to the above mentioned stuff.
(4) Amplifier(s) : These take the signals from HU and amplify it for cleaner and bigger outputs.
(5) RCA cord(s) : These are wires designed to carry signals from HU to amps (amplifiers).
(6) Fuse(s) : These are added to the whole setup for safety so that your amps and boofers doesn't turn your car into a fireball.
(7) Capacitor(s) : They do the job of providing clean and sufficient power needed by the setup.
For video(s) and TV;
(1) DVD/TV capable Head unit/Source : These are same like the above HUs but are capable of processing video signals. They sometimes comes with in built displays too.
This is enough for a normal video/movie/xxx starter.
For a more enthusiastic/show off kind, they will need;
(2) Video displays/Screens : These take video signals from the HU and displays it. These can be mounted in various places and positions. They also come in various sizes (sheeeee...... sounds dirty, all that mumbo jumbo).
(3) TV antenna/Dish : These do the job of picking up TV signals from various TV stations.
Now, this covers almost SOME basic information of ICE.
Next post will describe more of each and every component, their importance and different kinds of gearheads they may cater to.
So, keep cuming back here!