• Angry
  • Awesome
  • Hungry
  • Secret
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative Damping Solution - Inexpensive & Efficient

not aware that he can set his status here!

Hungry

Alternative Damping Solution - Inexpensive & Efficient

Many cars have rattling issues. These issues are much more prominent with ICE. Rattling kills the comfort and pleasure during driving and is a nightmare for an ICEd car.
      Many brands and solutions of damping/sound deadening are available in the market such as Noise Kill, Dynamat, Stinger Road Kill, Second Skin etc. These solutions are expensive. Noise Kill being the cheapest damping material which retails at Rs.120-150/sq ft. is still considered to be expensive and out of reach for many.
      I was in same dilemma, 4 months ago. I had an entry level setup in my Verna, was facing rattling issues even when not using the ICE. My budget was limited, hence Noise Kill was out of question. Had read and researched about many of the alternative damping solutions such as Yogamat stuck with Fevicol SR adhesive, styrofoam etc . None of them suited my needs.

Found Bitumen sheets on a local hardware store. These sheets appeared to be same as damping sheets, were bulky and dense.
      Material :

Bitumen Sheets locally known as 'damar' sheet or Tarfelt sheet is industrially used as waterproofing solution for warehouses.

Bitumen sheets are made up of Neoprene, which are the same material to be used in Dynamat, Noise Kill etc. (which also have an additional layer of aluminium and fire resistant material). Thickness is about 1mm. These sheets have a thin protective plastic layer which is peeled off to reveal the sticky layer just like the conventional damping sheets. The plastic layer is hard to peel off as it is very thin and tends to tear while peeling off from the parent sheet. The sticky layer has a good adhesion quality and easily sticks to metal/plastic just like conventional damping.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04668.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	50598

Name:	DSC04669.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	50599

Name:	DSC04683.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	302.5 KB 
ID:	50607

Comparison with Noise Kill :

Quality and efficiency of Bitumen sheets cannot be compared to Noise Kill. Conventional Damping Sheets are designed to perform accoustically and have greater density, additional layers of fire resistant material & aluminium, greater thickness, good quality, easy application and better protective plastic peel off. However, conventional damping is way too costly compared to Tarfelt sheets.
      Tarfelt sheets prove to be an alternative damping solution which is inexpensive, effective and efficient for basic ICE setups at moderately high volume.
      For advanced ICE setups and experience Conventional damping is strictly recommended.
      As per my experience, the effectiveness of Tarfelt damping is around 60-70% effective as Noise Kill damping at Moderate Volume levels.

Name:	DSC04670.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	50601

Name:	DSC04673.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	50602

Name:	DSC04674.JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	50603
      Comparing the Density :

36 sq ft of Noise kill weighs 5.2 kgs. Which is 145.5 gms/sq ft.
      48 sq ft of Tarfelt Sheet weighs 4.8 kgs. Which is 100 gms/sq ft.
      Noise kill is 1.5 times denser than Asphalt sheet.

Application :

When using asphalt sheets some cautions are to be taken care of :

- The exposed sticky layer tends to stick on anything, should stored and handled cautiously or you'll end up with black stains in table and marble(in my case )
      While handling the sheets, use of polythene gloves are recommended. Applying oil lightly on fingers and palms is also recommended.
      The protective plastic is to be peeled off. Make sure the sheets are cut in adequate size which can be handled easily. The exposed sticky layer is then applied to the applicable metal/plastic panels and firmly pressed with help of paint roller or palms. Use of multiple layers (upto 3) overlapped is recommended for better results. Hair dryer or Heat Gun (better) can be used for heating the applied sheets for better adhesion.

- Asphalt sheets tend to stick themselves, they should be handled carefully.

Name:	DSC04677.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	324.4 KB 
ID:	50604

Name:	DSC04679.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	380.3 KB 
ID:	50605
      Second layer complete, preparing for final (top) layer.

Name:	DSC04680.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	370.7 KB 
ID:	50606
      Sadly, I don't have the
      applied Final layer pics.

Availability & Costs :

Tarfelt sheets are easily available in renowned hardware stores locally in your city. They are widely used for waterproofing purposes.Price may vary from Rs. 20-100/ sq mt depending upon the quality and thickness.
      Last edited by bamaboy; 1st May 2013 at 14:32. Reason: Correction in content
      2015 Mercedes-Benz C200 Avantgarde
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      2014 Tata Safari Storme EX
      2014 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta:
      Nexus 7 -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| DLS A2 | Audible Physics RAM3a | Boston GT2125
      | Vaani Vector 6.5mkII | Rockford Fosgate T400-2 | Morel Ultimo SC

Status

Awesome

Just be careful where you park, not used it myself, I do recall some guys using similar stuff abroad and when parked it the sun, it can give off unpleasant smells and debond, though bu the looks the material maybe different, keep us posted!

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
      Just be careful where you park, not used it myself, I do recall some guys using similar stuff abroad and when parked it the sun, it can give off unpleasant smells and debond, though bu the looks the material maybe different, keep us posted!
      I have installed it before summers, the car has been parked at 40 degrees over sunlight. Its been more than 3 months, have no issues so far regarding smell or debond.
      The install is successful.
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)
      Nexus 7 -> AK4490EQ -> miniDSP C-DSP| DLS A2 | Audible Physics RAM3a | Boston GT2125

Status

Awesome

Great stuff! must be a different formulation to the roofing sheets in the UK.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
      Alternative Damping Solution - Inexpensive & Efficient
      Thankyou bamaboy for sharing. I'd known about this some time ago but didnt give much thought back then. Now I've an inexpensive yet effective sound proofing solution. I guess it would just bond better in the sun because it melts and gets sticky while hot.

How much sqft do you think it takes for the entire interior of a typical car?

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
      Great stuff! must be a different formulation to the roofing sheets in the UK.
      Yup!, I think Indian Waterproofing Asphalt sheets are formulated to bear the Indian Summer heat. They can easily handle constant heat of around 40-45 degrees.
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)

Hungry

Quote Originally Posted by agn View Post
      How much sqft do you think it takes for the entire interior of a typical car?
      For a Zen, 6 sq mt ~ 68 sq ft will be sufficient to cover front & rear doors, boot floor and hatch lid.
      2016 Hyundai Creta SX(O)

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
      Asphalt sheets are made up of Asbestos and Neoprene, which are the same material to be used in Dynamat, Noise Kill etc. (which also have an additional layer of aluminium and fire resistant material).
      Forget everything else, but how does this asphalt sheet behave in fire? I am curious because you said, stuff like Dynamat have a layer of fire resistant material. If the asbestos and neoprene are a fire hazard, better to pay extra for the protection.

Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar View Post
      Dynamat have a layer of fire resistant material. If the asbestos and neoprene are a fire hazard, better to pay extra for the protection.
      Anything other than metal and glass in a car are a complete fire hazard, unless this thing spontaneously catches fire it should not be a worry.

DIY

Awesome

Most times it is not the fire which kills people but the toxic gases that are released by burning of seat materials and certain rubber materials.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information