Here is the story of buying our First Car - Ford Figo 1.4 Titanium - Our Colorado Queen.
Me & Wife was in search of a Flat to Own but felt it will be out of budget for the time being & we landed up buying a moving house - A Car
What we were looking for?
Thus Our search for a car started in Sep'10. My primary needs were the below.
1) ABS & Dual Airbags.
2) Ride & Handling.
3) Performance & FE.
4) Looks & Features.
5) Space & Comfort.
Read & watched lot of reviews about the cars in the segment am looking for.
5) Wagon R
After Office, time was spend on reviewing the above vehicles & the reviews had taken away my sleep those days.
After lot of calculation & thinking decided to go for a Diesel one.
2) Beat - I didn't like the design & heard that the Dash is bit high( Am on the shorter side ). Also, Petrol was the only variant available that time.
3) Swift - Common on the roads & didn't had the Airbags on the Diesel variant.
4) Polo - I should have gone for it if it had fit my pocket.
5) Wagon R - Again didn't like the design of new one much & no Diesel variant available.
6) Ritz - Didn't like the design.
7) & 8) Didn't fit the pocket.
It had what all I was looking for & for a price that fit your pocket. A real VFM Car.
The 1.4 engine is a proved one(Running on the old Fiesta) & we can trust on that.
Cons as listed in many reviews & my take on those
I was interested in Figo after the reviews. The cons about Figo which as listed in all the reviews are below.
1) No rear power windows.
2) Hood opener placed on passenger side.
3) Low ground clearance.
4) Rear windows scroll down partially.
I thought about each of these cons & here is my conclusion.
1) & 4) For me, only front seat passengers & occasionally only backseat passengers. And the thing is am not going to drive with windows scrolled down. So if no rear power windows, no issue for me & more over rear window scroll half only is a child safety feature as well as there are constraints also like cos of the longer window glass which requires a bigger motor to bring it down & the rear wheel arch design.
2) Hehe... I laughed at it. Are you going to open the hood while u drive? Answer for this question will help you make the decision whether its really a con. Even if somebody accidentally open it also, it won't fly on to your windshield & won't block your view.
3) The max you can get in this category is 171 & Figo have 168. Most of the time the mud flaps are touching & sometimes under body. But still the under body is well protected. Only the beams on side hits the ground. If you practice to drive the hump in less than 10km/hr with adequate tire pressure, the under body won't touch. If it is touching also it's cos of good suspension.
I made my decision after a test drive & bought my Colorado Red Queen on 17th October 2010 from Metro Ford, St.Marks Road.
As a driver am new to the arena that time & driven only the Driving School Cars. The only other Car I drove before the TD is a Fiat Palio for less than half Kms. I took my friend's Uncle's Palio out of the Parking lot to the road. That is my previous experience as a driver.
But as an automobile enthusiast I used to closely watch the drivers & was confident enough that I can maneuver.
Went to Metro Ford on 5th October 2010 & they gave the vehicle for a very short TD which resembles a big diameter.
The first thing grabbed my mind was the Steering feedback. I was blown away with that. With that short stint I understood why people call Ford car as "Drivers Car".
We checked the interiors & were impressed. Fabric was good & Rear legroom(Next to Indica) & Boot Space were the best in that segment.
A/C chills the cabin soon & Music System sounds good.
Decided at the first instance that Dash color is going to be Ebony(Black).
Next is which exterior color? Came down to White & Red. I liked both but was difficult to finalize one. And after lot of discussions between me & wife, went for the Red as per her suggestion which I loved it the moment we owned it.
She was looking stunning in Colorado Red.
Took the delivery on 17th October 2010 on the auspicious day of Vijayadashami/Dussehra.
Drove her straight away to the Temple to do the Pooja.
Now, she is done with 16986 Kms. Am loving every moment of it. Looking forward to 17K Kms on her first Birthday.
Yes. There are small niggles & all but you have to accept the fact that it will be there for most of the vehicles. I have seen people complaining about the niggles in Beamers & Mercs.
The Performance & Awards won by Figo & the Sales shows that I made the right decision like many of you out here...
To those who are looking for a hatchback... My word is Ford Figo Titanium Diesel...
Now some pictures to do the talking.
On the D-Day after the Pooja at Temple
As it is GearHeads, lets start with the Gear itself
A/C Vents above the center console like the other two on each side shuts completely & rotates in 360 degree
The Controversial(Not for me) Hood Opener
Spare wheel with jack & spanner below it
Useful Boot lamp
Under the Hood
Enough legroom for that 5th passenger
When Driver seat fully pushed back
When Front Passenger seat fully pulled forward
Center Console. Note that without removing the hands from Gear lever you can easily play around with the music controls
Bottle holder behind the hand brake lever
Neatly placed hook
Headlamp control knob & leveler
6 Speed Intermittent Wiper & Wash Stalk
Adequate space in the Footwell
Small storage space on the Driver side
Didn't add much pics as the vehicle is familiar in the market now. But can add more on request.
Ownership review to be followed here...
Will do that after 17th.