Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Chennai-Bangalore Expressway

not aware that he can set his status here!

New Chennai-Bangalore Expressway

http://www.thehindu.com/news/states/tamil-nadu/article2557950.ece

Name:  TH21_expressway_eps_814992f.jpg
Views: 4251
Size:  35.4 KB

The ambitious Bangalore-Chennai Expressway project, which will cut down travel time and fuel consumption, is picking up steam with work on the detailed project report (DPR) likely to be completed by March.

The green field project would also act as a catalyst of development in the 260-km route from Hoskote near Bangalore to Sriperumbudur, nearly 40 km from Chennai. It is estimated to cost a whopping Rs.6,000 crore. Of this Rs.5,000 crore would be towards the construction work alone —at the rate of Rs.20 crore per kilometre.

The proposed six-lane expressway would serve as an alternative to the present popular NH 7 from Bangalore to Krishnagiri, NH- 46 Krishnagiri to Ranipet and NH 4 Ranipet to Chennai route, which is 372 km long and witnessing a significant increase in traffic. The project, proposed under the National Highways Development Project Phase VI, would take the Kolar, Chittoor route and have 12 major intersections in all. It would be a toll road facility.

National Highways Authority of India, Chief General Manager, I.G. Reddy, told The Hindu that the process for land acquisition has been initiated and villages involved along the proposed alignment of the expressway in the three States have been finalised and proposal for publication of 3 (a) Notification is under preparation.

“The Central Government has given in-principle approval for the project. Environmental clearance has to be sought for the project as a portion of the alignment was passing through reserve forest area. Already no objection certificates have been obtained from the governments of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka for the project. The alignment has been fixed, detailed engineering study for the project is on and soil tests are also underway,” Mr. Reddy said.

Egis-BCEOM International S.A. and SECON Pvt. Ltd. are the consultants for preparation of DPR.

The expressway that would come up on Build Operate Transfer (BOT) basis is designed for six lane divided carriageway with 1.5 metre unpaved shoulder and 3 metre paved shoulder.

A six metre wide median has been proposed for safety and for future widening. Public consultations to elicit the opinions of the residents affected due to the proposed alignment have also been completed, he added.

Meanwhile, sources in the Industries Department said that the DPR for the first phase of the Chennai-Bangalore Industrial Corridor of Excellence (CBICE) from Chennai to Ranipet is ready. The DPR for the remaining stretch is under preparation.

It would pass through Chennai-Ranipet-Hosur-Bangalore. The Centre had planned the corridor along National Highways 4, 7 and 46, linking Chennai and Bangalore through Nellore and Chitradurga. However, the State Government chose to go with the traditional route. Plans have also been drawn up to develop the Madurai-Tuticorin-Tirunelveli corridor and the Coimbatore-Salem corridor.
    I don't know what's gonna happen man but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames

2. Thanks Abhi, cbzraja, J.Ravi and 1 others thanked for this post
    Likes yzfrj, bhpistorqintorpm, Adithya R and 6 others liked this post

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Why can't they upgrade the existing NH-4(via Kolar) instead of building this one? And upgrade the Krishnagiri route to a 6 lane.

In fact the road is quite bad,is what I hear, between Sriperambudur and Chennai.

I am not really convinced for a 3rd highway between Chennai and Bangalore. Frequent travelers/business people will just use the flight. You are going to get stuck anyway on the highway in the last mile(read Sriperambudur-Chennai) and the same is the case at the other end as well currently(Hosur-Bangalore). Not sure how the last mile problem will be solved via this highway.
    TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
    I am not really convinced for a 3rd highway between Chennai and Bangalore. Frequent travelers/business people will just use the flight. You are going to get stuck anyway on the highway in the last mile(read Sriperambudur-Chennai) and the same is the case at the other end as well currently(Hosur-Bangalore). Not sure how the last mile problem will be solved via this highway.
    This new expressway should save a lot of time for people who want to get to the other side of Bangalore without having to go through the city. And they are talking about some new industrial corridor. Not sure if it's coming up along the new expressway though. Anyway, more good roads, the better.
    I don't know what's gonna happen man but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames

Global Moderator
    At wits end with Safari's
    auto-correct!

Blog Entries
    Yes. This looks like just another money making racket for everyone involved! It makes more sense to just extend the four lane section on NH4 all the way to Walajapet! 5000 crores is a lot of money and can be better spent elsewhere!

Any bets that the powers that be would have already acquired extensive tracts of land along the 'proposed' alignment!
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.

6. Likes lazybrain, roadracer, venbab and 1 others liked this post
    VTAK Baba

... and the rights to extort ridiculous amounts of toll like NICE road. I fail to see why people should pay approximately 3 bucks a kilometer on a road that is badly surfaced and not really that congestion free once all the heavy vehicles start pouring in. NHs are WAY better constructed and they charge half a buck per kilometer if that. I wish these corrupt bastards are sodomized in hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by karanbhatia View Post
    Centipede coming through...
    ...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝

@mclaren1885 ate the rest.

You may continue.

8. Likes roadracer, lazybrain, venbab liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
    Bangalore-Chennai Expressway project
    And damn idiots!!! They'll not allow motorcycles on this road like Surat-Vadodara & Pune-Mumbai
    Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

10. LOL roadracer, yzfrj, lazybrain and 1 others laughed out loud

a.k.a AntiFigoRacer

Quote Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
    And damn idiots!!! They'll not allow motorcycles on this road like Surat-Vadodara & Pune-Mumbai
    Aargee, Why do you think so? OMR is also an expressway but bikes, cattles, share autos, rickshaws are all allowed. Why do you think this will be any different?

Just another money making scheme. Why can't they improve the train connectivity,upgrade the tracks,introduce super fast express trains between Bangalore and Chennai. I fail to understand the purpose of a 3rd highway when there are two highways already.
    TATA Indica Vista Quadrajet (2009) | Suzuki GS 150R (2010) | TVS Wego (2011) | TVS Victor GL (2004) - SOLD

Rat in a race to don't know
    where...

Quote Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
    They'll not allow motorcycles on this road
    Which is actually a good thing
    2007 | Bajaj Pulsar 220 Dts-Fi | 105000 Kms
    2005 | Fiat Palio 1.2 NV Sport | 22000 Kms

13. Likes yzfrj liked this post

Why do you think so?
    OMR is connecting between Madhya Kailash to Mahabalipuram (Maximum) which is about 30-50 Kms stretch; I'm talking about Pune-Mumbai which is atleast 260+ Kms stretch & Vadodara-Ahmedabad atleast 100+ Kms.

Just another money making scheme
    While money making is true, but, this is a very important route.

fail to understand the purpose of a 3rd highway when there are two highways already
    2 highwaysa You mean...
    a) NH4
    b) NH4-NH46-NH7

When I did this route in 2007, driving beyond Venkateshwara Engg college and/or Hyundai factory was breeze; then during 2008/09 anything after Sriperambudur was breeze. Now, its only much beyond Vellore; Vaniyambadi has only one lane. Thanks to the truckers. In the forth coming years, I only expect this road to be congested even further.

But like someone said, they should've fixed Kolar route first & then ventured into third highway rather than making Kolar half baked & jumping into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Praful View Post
    Which is actually a good thing
    Not for people who ride responsibly!!! Good for people, who ride otherwise
    Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright before you hear them speak

15. Likes yzfrj liked this post
    Support Donkey
    Turbo Lag - Giving the NA guys
    just 1 extra second of false
    hope :p

With the kind of traffic Bangalore-Chennai sees these days, the 6 lane would be a real boon. Though, I wish they make atleast one of these routes free from commercial HTVs, buses and trucks and allow only private vehicles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information