Considering the Price and Features, this is easily one the best feature packed audio centric and yet the worst looking Head Units to come out of the Pioneer stable.
The Pioneer DEH-80PRS
AUDIOPHILEGRADEThe DEH-80PRS CD receiver features audiophile grade internal components and materials that are carefully selected to achieve Pioneer's highest standards for the ultimate in sound quality. Pioneer’s exclusive sound field technologies including Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment help optimize audio in ways that perfectly suit particular listening spaces and allow subtle manual control of settings. Versatile connectivity helps deliver exceptional sound quality from various digital devices.
Burr-Brown® 24-bit D/A Converters: Three Burr-Brown digital to analog converters are used - one each for the high, mid, and low frequency ranges - providing exceptional linear sound reproduction with wide dynamic range and faithful reproduction of the original source
Four-Layer Circuit Board Design: Utilizing a four layer copper foil board with components mounted to both sides of the board allows for a circuit board with a much smaller footprint. The inside layers of the circuit board are dedicated to the power and ground supply traces, which allow for lower overall circuit impedance and greatly reduce noise.
Full-Custom High-Capacitance Power Supply Capacitor: Custom-built capacitors in the power supply keep sound clear and consistent. Exclusive parts are developed and tuned for optimal sound quality through a thorough review of materials and repeated listening trials.
Sound Master Clock Circuitry: Timing is everything. Our new Sound Master Clock generates waveforms that read and process digital signals with extraordinary precision - eliminating jitter. Finely detailed signals can be accurately reproduced as they were intended.
28-bit Binary Floating-Point DSP: Handling a wider range of complicated calculations than a standard fixed-point DSP, Pioneer's 28-bit binary floating-point DSP along with the use of advanced programming technology allows for highly precise sound processing and tuning without degrading the source's digital signal.
- 3-Way Digital Network: The DEH-80PRS features a 3-Way Digital Network, connecting (via three 5V RCA preouts) up to three external amplifiers, each dedicated to driving high-, mid- and low-frequency ranges, respectively. The result: more distinct separation of the three frequency ranges, for more full, natural sound realizing more of each speaker’s potential in a multi-speaker system.
- L/R Independent 16-Band Digital Equalizer: The L/R Independent 16-Band Digital Equalizer is excellent at overcoming in-vehicle frequency response peaks and troughs. With fine tuning adjustments at 2/3 octave steps, tailoring the frequency curves to generate a flat response is possible in any type of car.
- Auto Time Alignment and Auto EQ: Time alignment automatically estimates the delay from each speaker to the driver’s position and adjusts speaker sound output timing, so that sound from all speakers reaches the driver’s ears in perfect sync. Auto EQ tailors specific musical characteristics according to preference, uses a microphone to monitor and analyze acoustics, then automatically fine-tunes all frequency bandwidths and front and rear speaker digital parametric equalization. These processes occur in 399 seamless steps in just about 6 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Time Alignment: Not only can this function precisely adjust each speaker’s output timing according to its distance from the listening position – it is also adaptable to a 3-way multi-amplifier and speaker system.
ABETTER-THAN-EVERLISTENINGEXPERIENCEPandora® is personalized internet radio that is designed to help you discover new music that you'll love mixed in with music that you already know. With the DEH-80PRS, you can enjoy superior sound quality and full control of the Pandora experience in your car directly from the receiver. You are able to give tracks "thumbs up" or "thumbs down," bookmark a song so you can purchase it later, easily switch between your personalized radio stations, and view full track data.
In-dash control for Pandora is compatible with Apple iOS. Simply download the free Pandora Radio app to your iPhone® or iPod® Touch and connect it to the DEH-80PRS with the CD-IU51 interface cable (sold separately) and take your music to the next level. For more information and to sign up for a free account please visit www.pandora.com.
HANDS-FREECALLINGANDAUDIOSTREAMINGStay safe and obey local hands-free laws with built-in Bluetooth® (HFP). With Secure Simple Pairing, you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the DEH-80PRS without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
If you have a compatible audio player device that also features built-in Bluetooth, you have the ability to wirelessly stream (A2DP) and control audio (AVRCP) to the receiver.
USBDIRECTCONTROLFORiPOD®/iPHONE®Pioneer's DEH-80PRS is ready to roll with direct connectivity to your iPod or iPhone for audio playback via the optional USB interface cable (CD-IU51 interface cable sold separately). Song, artist, time and album information are displayed on the full dot LCD display. Powerful tools such as Link Play and Alphabet Search to help you find content faster. The system's wired USB connection provides direct digital signal transfer from the device for clean, clear sound while providing 1 amp of current to keep your iPod/iPhone charged.
Dual rear USB ports allow connection of 2 compatible USB devices so you will never run out of source options. For example, you can connect an iPod to USB1 and a compatible USB hard disk drive to USB2.
RETHINKINGCONNECTIVITYWith App Mode you can enjoy listening to the content on select compatible apps directly on the receiver fom a connected iPhone or iPod Touch. Limited controls such as track forward or reverse may be executed from the receiver.
Note: Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide limited, if any, control over the app.
CUSTOMIZEITMatch the display and key illumination to your vehicle's interior lighting. Over 210,000 colors are available to match the illumination in any car. The key illumination and display illumination colors can be customized separately for an endless number of color combinations.
- Full Dot LCD Display (192 x 48 pixels, 3-line)
- Built-In MOSFET 50W x 4 Amplifier
- 3 Sets of Hi-Volt RCA Preouts (5V) for System Expansion
- Dual 16-Band Graphic Equalizer
- Auto EQ (CD-MC20 required)
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- SD/SDHC Memory Card Slot
- Wired Remote Input
- Included Remote Control
- Anti-Dust Design
- Flap Face
- Detachable Face Security™
Pictures and Information taken from :
DEH-80PRS - - CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ, and Auto Time Alignment | Pioneer Electronics USA
Scheduled to be launched in Spring 2012 and priced at $419 in US, this promises to be a killer competition to the Alpine CDA-117 + H100 combination and is almost half the price of the big brother DEX-P99RS. For any one not looking for 4-way active, this is surely a great option for sure.
One can say this is the upgrade to the famous DEH-P800PRS and the DEH-P880PRS which are the minus the copper chassis the DEH-P80RS and P80RSII in the asian market.
What it adds to the P80RS/RSII
- Built in 2 x USB ports with WAV File support which is a fantastic feature for those looking to carry all of their Audio CD's in a quality lossless digital format.
- Built in iPod/iPhone support and it is safe to assume that like the DEX-P99RS, this too shall bypass the iPod DAC completely.
- SD card slot
- Built in Bluetooth. Remember even the P99RS needs a external adapter for this.
- 3 x 24 bit DAC i.e. one Burr Brown DAC per pre-out pair
- Single Rotary Knob control compared to two in the P80RS/RSII and even the P99RS
Omissions compared to the P80RS/RSII
- Copper Chassis ( which was available only on the US counterparts and not the Asin models ) Not really a deal breaker since a good power supply is a better noise resistant factor.
- Pre-out are built into the chassis instead of the pig-tails in the P80RS/RSII ( 007 ) While some say this is essentially better as the cables used for the pig tail pre-outs also factor in the noise rejection and signal loss etc, this also makes it easier to blow the infamous Pico Fuse found in Pioneer head units that eventually causes the even more infamous alternator whine. It is not clear whether the DEX-P99RS was the first unit without the Pico Fuse used and whether the DEH-80PRS follows suite so it is always better to take precautions while attaching the RCA ( ignition off, power to the HU off and the HU end of the RCA cable to be connected first )
- *** Not sure about this but the screen looks smaller though sharper ***
What remains to be seen is :
- Launch in India
- Price in India (Official)
- Gray Market price in India
- When it is launched of corse.
In the first glance this looks like a horribly ugly scaled down version of the DEX-P99RS and completely takes away from the Premiere series DNA of great looks and the dual rotary knob control of all the versions in this model range.
As I read the specifications and more so the USB support for WAV files and built in 'worldly' features that were usually omitted from Audiophile category products in pretext to better sound quality, better noise rejection due to less parts, cost control in lieu of high quality audio centric features or just plain old snob value , this Head Unit seems like a winner from Pioneer for the audiophile looking for good quality music and a feature laden source with tuning options to keep him busy ( Active XO etc ), not looking for 4-way active capability and provides a good foundation for upgrades as well without breaking the bank and leaving a fair amount of funds for rest of the setup. Also it keeps the non-audiophile users of the vehicle ( family and friends ) happy with it's iPod, USB and BT capability.
What also remains to be seen is whether the looks are the only thing that Pioneer took away from the Premiere series DNA ( it's plain old fugly ). Any degrade to the sound quality will really be a let down for people who have used the units of the Premiere series era ( P80RS, 9887, Eclipse etc ) and I hope it has not been sacrificed to provide all the features packed inside. I am only assuming the build quality to have taken a hit compared to the P80RS/RSII but this is just a old school HU lover's biased assumption and will be laid to rest or proven right only when the unit is in the user's hands so please ignore
The price of corse will be a big factor since the DEX-P99RS retailing for around $1100 in US is officially priced at 85k MRP which is almost 30k more than the US price.
For the DEH-80PRS to be a hit if made available in India officially, it has to be priced below the 30k if Pioneer is looking at competing with the Gray Market and generate a considerable volume of sales.