Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Budget Audiophile Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS

ICE Apprentice
    Walter White of ICE

The New Budget Audiophile Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Considering the Price and Features, this is easily one the best feature packed audio centric and yet the worst looking Head Units to come out of the Pioneer stable.

The Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEH-80PRS_large.jpg 
Views:	1824 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	65782

Name:	DEH-80PRS_angle.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	65781

Name:	DEH-80PRS_rear.jpg 
Views:	2830 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	65783

Name:  DEH-Card-Remote-BT-2012_large.jpg
Views: 4861
Size:  15.9 KB

[top]AUDIOPHILEGRADE

The DEH-80PRS CD receiver features audiophile grade internal components and materials that are carefully selected to achieve Pioneer's highest standards for the ultimate in sound quality. Pioneer’s exclusive sound field technologies including Auto EQ and Auto Time Alignment help optimize audio in ways that perfectly suit particular listening spaces and allow subtle manual control of settings. Versatile connectivity helps deliver exceptional sound quality from various digital devices.
    Burr-Brown® 24-bit D/A Converters: Three Burr-Brown digital to analog converters are used - one each for the high, mid, and low frequency ranges - providing exceptional linear sound reproduction with wide dynamic range and faithful reproduction of the original source
    Four-Layer Circuit Board Design: Utilizing a four layer copper foil board with components mounted to both sides of the board allows for a circuit board with a much smaller footprint. The inside layers of the circuit board are dedicated to the power and ground supply traces, which allow for lower overall circuit impedance and greatly reduce noise.
    Full-Custom High-Capacitance Power Supply Capacitor: Custom-built capacitors in the power supply keep sound clear and consistent. Exclusive parts are developed and tuned for optimal sound quality through a thorough review of materials and repeated listening trials.
    Sound Master Clock Circuitry: Timing is everything. Our new Sound Master Clock generates waveforms that read and process digital signals with extraordinary precision - eliminating jitter. Finely detailed signals can be accurately reproduced as they were intended.
    28-bit Binary Floating-Point DSP: Handling a wider range of complicated calculations than a standard fixed-point DSP, Pioneer's 28-bit binary floating-point DSP along with the use of advanced programming technology allows for highly precise sound processing and tuning without degrading the source's digital signal.
    • 3-Way Digital Network: The DEH-80PRS features a 3-Way Digital Network, connecting (via three 5V RCA preouts) up to three external amplifiers, each dedicated to driving high-, mid- and low-frequency ranges, respectively. The result: more distinct separation of the three frequency ranges, for more full, natural sound realizing more of each speaker’s potential in a multi-speaker system.
    • L/R Independent 16-Band Digital Equalizer: The L/R Independent 16-Band Digital Equalizer is excellent at overcoming in-vehicle frequency response peaks and troughs. With fine tuning adjustments at 2/3 octave steps, tailoring the frequency curves to generate a flat response is possible in any type of car.
    • Auto Time Alignment and Auto EQ: Time alignment automatically estimates the delay from each speaker to the driver’s position and adjusts speaker sound output timing, so that sound from all speakers reaches the driver’s ears in perfect sync. Auto EQ tailors specific musical characteristics according to preference, uses a microphone to monitor and analyze acoustics, then automatically fine-tunes all frequency bandwidths and front and rear speaker digital parametric equalization. These processes occur in 399 seamless steps in just about 6 minutes and 30 seconds.
    • Time Alignment: Not only can this function precisely adjust each speaker’s output timing according to its distance from the listening position – it is also adaptable to a 3-way multi-amplifier and speaker system.

[top]ABETTER-THAN-EVERLISTENINGEXPERIENCE

Pandora® is personalized internet radio that is designed to help you discover new music that you'll love mixed in with music that you already know. With the DEH-80PRS, you can enjoy superior sound quality and full control of the Pandora experience in your car directly from the receiver. You are able to give tracks "thumbs up" or "thumbs down," bookmark a song so you can purchase it later, easily switch between your personalized radio stations, and view full track data.
    In-dash control for Pandora is compatible with Apple iOS. Simply download the free Pandora Radio app to your iPhone® or iPod® Touch and connect it to the DEH-80PRS with the CD-IU51 interface cable (sold separately) and take your music to the next level. For more information and to sign up for a free account please visit www.pandora.com.

[top]HANDS-FREECALLINGANDAUDIOSTREAMING

Stay safe and obey local hands-free laws with built-in Bluetooth® (HFP). With Secure Simple Pairing, you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the DEH-80PRS without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. When a registered Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units.
    If you have a compatible audio player device that also features built-in Bluetooth, you have the ability to wirelessly stream (A2DP) and control audio (AVRCP) to the receiver.

[top]USBDIRECTCONTROLFORiPOD®/iPHONE®

Pioneer's DEH-80PRS is ready to roll with direct connectivity to your iPod or iPhone for audio playback via the optional USB interface cable (CD-IU51 interface cable sold separately). Song, artist, time and album information are displayed on the full dot LCD display. Powerful tools such as Link Play and Alphabet Search to help you find content faster. The system's wired USB connection provides direct digital signal transfer from the device for clean, clear sound while providing 1 amp of current to keep your iPod/iPhone charged.
    Dual rear USB ports allow connection of 2 compatible USB devices so you will never run out of source options. For example, you can connect an iPod to USB1 and a compatible USB hard disk drive to USB2.

[top]RETHINKINGCONNECTIVITY

With App Mode you can enjoy listening to the content on select compatible apps directly on the receiver fom a connected iPhone or iPod Touch. Limited controls such as track forward or reverse may be executed from the receiver.
    Note: Not all apps will be compatible with App Mode and App Mode will provide limited, if any, control over the app.

[top]CUSTOMIZEIT

Match the display and key illumination to your vehicle's interior lighting. Over 210,000 colors are available to match the illumination in any car. The key illumination and display illumination colors can be customized separately for an endless number of color combinations.

[top]OTHERFEATURES

• Full Dot LCD Display (192 x 48 pixels, 3-line)
    • Built-In MOSFET 50W x 4 Amplifier
    • 3 Sets of Hi-Volt RCA Preouts (5V) for System Expansion
    • Dual 16-Band Graphic Equalizer
    • Auto EQ (CD-MC20 required)
    • Advanced Sound Retriever
    • SD/SDHC Memory Card Slot
    • Wired Remote Input
    • Included Remote Control
    • Anti-Dust Design
    • Flap Face
    • Detachable Face Security™

Pictures and Information taken from :

DEH-80PRS - - CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ, and Auto Time Alignment | Pioneer Electronics USA

Scheduled to be launched in Spring 2012 and priced at $419 in US, this promises to be a killer competition to the Alpine CDA-117 + H100 combination and is almost half the price of the big brother DEX-P99RS. For any one not looking for 4-way active, this is surely a great option for sure.

One can say this is the upgrade to the famous DEH-P800PRS and the DEH-P880PRS which are the minus the copper chassis the DEH-P80RS and P80RSII in the asian market.

What it adds to the P80RS/RSII
    • Built in 2 x USB ports with WAV File support which is a fantastic feature for those looking to carry all of their Audio CD's in a quality lossless digital format.
    • Built in iPod/iPhone support and it is safe to assume that like the DEX-P99RS, this too shall bypass the iPod DAC completely.
    • SD card slot
    • Built in Bluetooth. Remember even the P99RS needs a external adapter for this.
    • 3 x 24 bit DAC i.e. one Burr Brown DAC per pre-out pair
    • Single Rotary Knob control compared to two in the P80RS/RSII and even the P99RS

Omissions compared to the P80RS/RSII
    • Copper Chassis ( which was available only on the US counterparts and not the Asin models ) Not really a deal breaker since a good power supply is a better noise resistant factor.
    • Pre-out are built into the chassis instead of the pig-tails in the P80RS/RSII ( 007 ) While some say this is essentially better as the cables used for the pig tail pre-outs also factor in the noise rejection and signal loss etc, this also makes it easier to blow the infamous Pico Fuse found in Pioneer head units that eventually causes the even more infamous alternator whine. It is not clear whether the DEX-P99RS was the first unit without the Pico Fuse used and whether the DEH-80PRS follows suite so it is always better to take precautions while attaching the RCA ( ignition off, power to the HU off and the HU end of the RCA cable to be connected first )
    • *** Not sure about this but the screen looks smaller though sharper ***

What remains to be seen is :

• Launch in India
    • Price in India (Official)
    • Gray Market price in India
    • When it is launched of corse.

In the first glance this looks like a horribly ugly scaled down version of the DEX-P99RS and completely takes away from the Premiere series DNA of great looks and the dual rotary knob control of all the versions in this model range.

As I read the specifications and more so the USB support for WAV files and built in 'worldly' features that were usually omitted from Audiophile category products in pretext to better sound quality, better noise rejection due to less parts, cost control in lieu of high quality audio centric features or just plain old snob value , this Head Unit seems like a winner from Pioneer for the audiophile looking for good quality music and a feature laden source with tuning options to keep him busy ( Active XO etc ), not looking for 4-way active capability and provides a good foundation for upgrades as well without breaking the bank and leaving a fair amount of funds for rest of the setup. Also it keeps the non-audiophile users of the vehicle ( family and friends ) happy with it's iPod, USB and BT capability.

What also remains to be seen is whether the looks are the only thing that Pioneer took away from the Premiere series DNA ( it's plain old fugly ). Any degrade to the sound quality will really be a let down for people who have used the units of the Premiere series era ( P80RS, 9887, Eclipse etc ) and I hope it has not been sacrificed to provide all the features packed inside. I am only assuming the build quality to have taken a hit compared to the P80RS/RSII but this is just a old school HU lover's biased assumption and will be laid to rest or proven right only when the unit is in the user's hands so please ignore

The price of corse will be a big factor since the DEX-P99RS retailing for around $1100 in US is officially priced at 85k MRP which is almost 30k more than the US price.

For the DEH-80PRS to be a hit if made available in India officially, it has to be priced below the 30k if Pioneer is looking at competing with the Gray Market and generate a considerable volume of sales.
    Last edited by karanbhatia; 13th Jan 2012 at 10:30.
    It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

2. Thanks karan22, greenhorn, Beasta1.6S and 1 others thanked for this post
    Likes navin_rayi, Pradeep, Vinosh Sam and 12 others liked this post
    GearHead
    Forza Ferrari!!!

Quote Originally Posted by karanbhatia View Post
    priced at $419 in US,
    And this is a budget HU? My Entire ICE budget would not exceed this
    "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    -Calvin

Dai!!!

4. LOL karan22, Beasta1.6S, Squid and 5 others laughed out loud
    ICE Apprentice
    Walter White of ICE

Quote Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
    And this is a budget HU? My Entire ICE budget would not exceed this
    Saar for approx 22k ( US price ) the only thing with the audiophile tuning options was the P80RS/RSII and to add USB, iPod and BT support, it would take another 10k at least and those adapters not bypassing the iPod DAC o supporting WAV file and with horrible display on the screen.

The Alpine CDA-117 with USB, iPod support needs the H100 to add the audiophile tuning options taking the final cost to 30k to 32k ( Indian price )

So even if we can get something like the DEH-80PRS for around 26k to 28k ( officially I doubt ... unofficial is of corse going to be there ), it is a great All-In-One solution that adds tons of features to the P80RS/RSII series, some welcome features to the 117 ( WAV file from USB and BT ) and the omission of any external hardware making the installation easier ( Imprint kit H100 )
    It's the best way to dump money and spend an inordinate amount of time...because all debts are paid when the hairs on the back of your neck stand straight up and goosebumps cover your arms, because the sound is SO good. - Scott Buwalda

6. Likes bamaboy, KRRaj liked this post
    VTAK Baba

I dont see whats fugly about the HU man. I like it. guess the white OEL has blinded me to everything else.

the HU looks good VFM to me, what with all the direct USB, iPod support and everything.
    Centipede coming through...
    ...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝

@mclaren1885 ate the rest.

You may continue.

8. Likes megatron liked this post
    ICE Apprentice
    Walter White of ICE

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    I dont see whats fugly about the HU man. I like it. guess the white OEL has blinded me to everything else.
    just my personal opinion detective ... looks are purely subjective .. for me the best looking HU has been the P80RS with the brushed aluminium trim and rotary knobs ... this some how reminds me of the newer gen non-audiophile models from Pioneer that were launched last year ...

again nothing to take away from the awesome set of features that it offers which frankly outweigh the looks even for me

guess the white OEL has blinded me to everything else.
    i knew it would ... last time you went looking for a Pioneer HU, the white OEL was your top priority

10. LOL 007 laughed out loud
    VTAK Baba

i knew it would ... last time you went looking for a Pioneer HU, the white OEL was your top priority
    white is good. had it not been, I wouldve settled for some middle of the pack HU. remember how you tried to talk me out of the P80?

the P80 is lovely no doubt, but I prefer wider, shallower knobs like on the P99 or even this one for that matter. the ones on the P80 remind me of a set of a tad too perky nipples.

now stand back while the ICE Moderator reports this post.
    Centipede coming through...
    ...╚⊙ ⊙╝...
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    .╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝
    ╚═(███)═╝

@mclaren1885 ate the rest.

You may continue.

12. LOL derfaultier, Vinosh Sam, Sidhu Saab and 6 others laughed out loud
    V5.0
    In Bhai we trust

Blog Entries
    Seems like VFM, but not an absolute VFM !

Few 'Audiophile grade features have been stripped out, Few run of the mill items have been included' all in all a very decent price for a high end HU. Esp when you know the nearest competitor is a mediocre 117 + Imprint combo at a price much higher than this.

But to me P80RS is a Legend. It will have its own following just like how the CD7200mkII and 9887 have garnered over the years.
    2013 Penguin - Code 6'ed / Riced' / Raped' /

14. Likes bamaboy liked this post
    Extinguished GearHead
    Throttle first... Think
    later...

the ones on the P80 remind me of a set of a tad too perky nipples.
    Is this parliamentary or unparliamentary?
    Catch me if you can.....
    '08 Hyundai Verna CRDi

16. LOL anonymous, bamaboy laughed out loud
    Is now aware that he can set
    his status here.

The price looks about right, considering the alternatives.

It does look UGLY! It looks like a run-of-the-mill mass market HU. I wonder what the design department was thinking when they were supposed to be aiming at the audiophool audiophile market. It will have to sound pretty nice for the target market to be able to digest the looks.

ICE Apprentice
    Walter White of ICE

but I prefer wider, shallower knobs like on the P99 or even this one for that matter. the ones on the P80 remind me of a set of a tad too perky nipples.
    this one with all the shit load of features some how fails to be 'special' even with one missing nipple

Quote Originally Posted by optimus_prime View Post
    Is this parliamentary or unparliamentary?
    what does the parliament have to do with nipples ????

now stand back while the ICE Moderator reports this post.
    over my dead body

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
    Few 'Audiophile grade features have been stripped out,
    the first one i can notice is the copper chassis ... what remains to be seen is if the internal components follow suite or if they still have the power supply, cd mechanism, DAC ( quality ) of the same high quality standard as the ones we are comparing this head unit to or are they stripped down mediocre quality as well ... most of us know how good a head unit can sound with even bare bones but high quality features and build quality even for years to come and that having features filled up to the neck does not essentially guarantee a superior product

even then ... if some how inspite of all the ***assumed and stipulated till it hits the market*** additions and omissions, this head unit manages to sound as good as the P80RS/RSII did, i think it is a damn good alternative to the 117 + H100 combo ...

But to me P80RS is a Legend. It will have its own following just like how the CD7200mkII and 9887 have garnered over the years.
    +11111111111 i still miss my brushed aluminium finished P80RS with the robust build quality and the detailed, balanced and accurate sound quality ...

Seems like VFM, but not an absolute VFM

Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    The price looks about right, considering the alternatives.
    knowing how pioneer priced the P99RS officially in India, either this HU is not coming here or going to be priced above 30k for sure but let's give them the benefit of the doubt for now ... i guess the gray market is of corse going to get hold of it sooner ..

Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    It does look UGLY! It looks like a run-of-the-mill mass market HU

+111111111111111 i'd like my HU to have a little flair in it's design but this is just plain old sacrilege to the design of the P80RS

19. LOL optimus_prime laughed out loud
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information